Need Advice with my Cichlids - Page 2

ppate1977

I'll tell you from experience zunedog, you will only catch those Africans if you take out your decorations. They are so fast and very aware of the net! Oh man I hate catching my KenyI and jewels! Some lfs and lfs will sell fish in breeding pairs (like the one I go to), they are more expensive but worth it imo. Good luck with your tank, I know it's been giving you a major headache. Hang in there bud. It will all be worked out, welcome to the world of cichlids (you waned more of a challenge, it WILL pay off) they are amazingly interesting.

RogueAgent94

Oh! Sorry then .

Well I can't say for SURE that they are two males because they are very young still. I'll add a picture at the bottom of this post showing you the differences between males and females. One way to check really easily is look really closely at their dorsal fin. If you see any sign of red or orange it's a female. Sometimes females that will never show very much red have a bit of blue on their dorsal fins. I have not had problems with two male convicts before but I had them in rather large tanks.

What I usually did with convict tanks was I added one (or two if it was bigger than 55g) pair and let them breed. Then any baby that survived, which was usually a lot, stayed in the tank. That way they filled up the tank themselves. I've noticed when doing this there is a pecking order with the father, largest male, in charge and the rest didn't quarrel with him so it was a rather peaceful tank. Having a lot of convicts gives the tank a really striking look.

I don't think you should take all your fish back. See how it turns out first. If one of your convicts doesn't work out you can always take it back and get a female.

Oh and thanks about my tank .

Goodnight

It looks like you have two males. I doubt they will ever breed for you

zunedog31

thanks rogue for all the info. I'm starting to like the idea of a tank full of these beautiful convicts. I can't see any red or orange on either of them granted they are pretty young. how many convicts do you think I could have in here. its 42 gallons. the parents and the babys.

RogueAgent94

Oops forgot to add the picture! LOL

In a 42g I would say get one large pair and you could have a bunch of babies. You can pretty much tell by their behavior when there is too many.

Here's the picture -

ppate1977

Just as I advised in the other thread zunedog, keep the convicts and let them fill your tank... It is fun and interesting. You will have a blast. Best of luck.

Goodnight

One problem with breeding convicts is, when you get too many, and you will, getting rid if them is difficult. You may want to check around to see how you can give them away when you need to. Check to see if a LFS might take them(doubtful). Or, you might consider a ad on Craigslist. You might be able to give the smaller ones away as feeders.

Something to think about.

zunedog31

One problem with breeding convicts is, when you get too many, and you will, getting rid if them is difficult. You may want to check around to see how you can give them away when you need to. Check to see if a LFS might take them(doubtful). Or, you might consider a ad on Craigslist. You might be able to give the smaller ones away as feeders.

Something to think about.

thanks everyone. I'm really starting to feel good about this tank for the first time yes about the babies, I also have a figure 8 puffer that can eat them if it comes to that or maybe sell or give away to my LFS. so I can have what... 20 of these fish in the tank before that point? how many roughly?

RogueAgent94

Not that many... for a breeding pair it is 20 gallon with 10 gallon for every additional. I think about 10 or 12 fish because they'd range from size.

zunedog31

ok. so should I take back everything but the convicts and maybe get a female to make sure that we have one? I really like cichilds because they are colorful, are there any other fish to have in there with them that can add color, a firemouth perhaps?

Jtimex

the problem you get with convicts is that once they have setup a dominance in the tank, there is noware left for the other fish to hide. I would class them as very territorial. My male F2 convict is about 5" now and he pushes everything around including my Blue Acara and my tricolour salvini. Mixing cichlids can be like rolling a dice at times. Always best to keep similar sized cichlids together but if the most aggressive species gets to be the biggest. You will have big problems. Usually this is what happens with Oscar tanks. I know a lot of aqauriums where only pleco's are now living with Oscars. It is unfortunate that they grow so big.

ppate1977

I love my monster Oscar. He keeps the peace between my Jaguar and JD. The Oscar never starts fights, but he sure does end them. Lol

Aquarist

Good morning,

This link may help a bit. I realize it's for a 55 gallon and that yours is 42g. Still, it may help some:

Too, if there is any way for your to have a liquid API Master Test Kit, I would highly recommend it over paper test strips. Paper test strips can be inaccurate and difficult to read. If the entire kit is not within your budget, each test can be purchased separately and I would suggest starting with the ammonia and pH test.

Also, if you would be so kind, please update your Aquarium Profile Information. This will aid others with their responses. Click on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on Edit Aquarium Info. Be sure to hit SAVE Changes at the bottom of the page when you are done.

Seems you have gotten off to a rough start. Hang in there!

Too, don't forget about the Search Fish Lore feature located in 2 sections at the top of the screen. One in the blue bar close to the top and the other right above each post on each page, left hand side.

You have a beautiful tank . Hopefully you'll have it stocked soon and will be able to kick back and relax a bit.

I have to say, I'm not convinced that your aquarium is cycled until I see readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. Adding the seeded filter media from another tank was a good idea. Using the bacterial additives that you've used, not such a good idea. I would stop using them. The only one I would even consider trying is Tetra Safe Start (TSS) even so, it has not worked for everyone.

When you seed an aquarium with filter media from another established aquarium, bacterial additives should not be necessary. If you've used enough seeded filter media (substrate and porous ornaments help too) then the cycle should be instant.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...-cycling-with-established-filter-media.66727/

Keep us posted on your progress and I'll be looking forward to seeing another video of a happy, healthy, well stocked aquarium!

Best wishes!

Ken

RogueAgent94

Yep that's what you need to do. I wouldn't put firemouths with a breeding pair unless you want to get rid of most of the babies. You could do just firemouths instead of convicts. Or you could have two pairs of jeweled cichlids with babies.

Noah34568

If there a male and female they'll breed. Convict Cichlids are known for that all you need is a male and female and put them in water.

RogueAgent94

If there a male and female they'll breed. Convict Cichlids are known for that all you need is a male and female and put them in water.

Kinda like rabbits.... and hamsters.

zunedog31

ok so I took back all of the fish except the two convicts :,( in the process one of my rock structures fell apart and another one broke :,,( I had to go somewhere after I went to petco and petsmart but I asked petsmart if they had any female convicts and she said she did not know how to tell male from female. I have seen the convicts and they have a lot but they are very young. I need to learn to tell the sexes apart.. what fish can I put in there while I have breeding convicts?

hI everyone thanks for posting on this thread I'm still very much in need of guidance with this tank.

Aquarist

Good morning,

To prevent confusion to other members, I have merged your two threads both dealing with your Cichlids and the same aquarium. You're asking for stocking options in both threads and you've been given many responses.

Too, the thread is now in the Cichlid section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

maxima423

ok so I took back all of the fish except the two convicts :,( in the process one of my rock structures fell apart and another one broke :,,( I had to go somewhere after I went to petco and petsmart but I asked petsmart if they had any female convicts and she said she did not know how to tell male from female. I have seen the convicts and they have a lot but they are very young. I need to learn to tell the sexes apart.. what fish can I put in there while I have breeding convicts?

I would not put anything with convicts when they are breeding, they are really aggressive and they will prove to the other fish why they have the name convicts =]

RogueAgent94

I agree. Other than an algae eater, if you get algae, I wouldn't put anything else in the tank unless the convicts turn out to be bad parents. It is fairly easy to tell male and female apart even at a young age. Just go up to the tank and look for a fish that has orange on it's sides between the black bars and that will be a female. You can look at the picture I posted to get a general idea.

zunedog31

Thanks Ken for merging the threads, it was getting a little confusing.

I don't see any orange on either fish, they are not colorful at all. I have recently noticed that there is damage to both of the fish's back fins, are they unhealthy or are they nipping each other? So I am really thinking that I have 2 males there are no signs of mating as far as I can tell and one is still chasing the other all around the tank. What do I do about this? would another convict (hopefully I can find a female at the store) help the situation or hurt it? oh and on a side note I got some Cichild Gold food for them in addition to brine shrimp to feed them.

RogueAgent94

It would most likely hurt the situation if you brought in another convict without removing one. I think you should look online for good deals on slightly larger convicts that'll start breeding for you and then return the two you have.

zunedog31

so if I take back the convicts I will have an empty tank. should I go for more convicts or is there something better to breed? electric yellows perhaps? I called my lfs and they have those male and female but they are 10 bucks each which is double price of the big pet stores. she also said she has cichilds from lake Tanganyika so I guess I could get those if anyone knows about them.

ppate1977

Lake Tanganyika has some AMAZING looking fish! They can get a bit more pricey ime for some reason. If you go for a fresh start, find your favorite species and stock around its needs and compatibility. Of course this is always my advice with cichlids. All you really need zunedog is a clear direction of what cichlids you want to keep and I think you will do well.
If breeding is your main priority, convicts are about as simple as it gets. Many other cichlids need certain conditions to breed. Jewels are pretty simple to breed as well but difficult to sex. Does your lfs sell breeding pairs? Usually a little more expensive for a proven pair but it almost guarantees success.

zunedog31

Lake Tanganyika has some AMAZING looking fish! They can get a bit more pricey ime for some reason. If you go for a fresh start, find your favorite species and stock around its needs and compatibility. Of course this is always my advice with cichlids. All you really need zunedog is a clear direction of what cichlids you want to keep and I think you will do well.
If breeding is your main priority, convicts are about as simple as it gets. Many other cichlids need certain conditions to breed. Jewels are pretty simple to breed as well but difficult to sex. Does your lfs sell breeding pairs? Usually a little more expensive for a proven pair but it almost guarantees success.
I called the place and they said that many of their cichilds are young (implying that they are not sexually mature) and that they do not really sell pairs. she said that she does have males and females that can be matched up, however. but 20 bucks for an unproven breeding pair is a little steep even for a local business. I may go to petsmart tomorrow and try to match a pair myself for half the cost.

RogueAgent94

As ppate said, Jewels are a great cichlid to breed. They are also REALLY pretty. Just get four or six and you'll most likely get a pair or two. They are also relatively easy to breed.

zunedog31

4 or 6 jewels? wow seems like a lot. keep in mind I don't have any backup tanks other then to feed excess fry to the puffer. and I had a jewel for a couple days, it was nice but it was not red like I had seen them, more like a washed out pink.

RogueAgent94

No I meant 4-6 young ones and then when you get a pair you get rid of the extra ones. Yours was washed out pink because it was stressed by the Mbuna.

zunedog31

No I meant 4-6 young ones and then when you get a pair you get rid of the extra ones. Yours was washed out pink because it was stressed by the Mbuna.

ohh ok that sounds compelling but I have some good news! I looked at my two convicts and I can see some tiny orange blotches on one of the fish! it looks like we have a female! also it seems, while they are still chasing eachother, they are warming up to one another, I may post a video of the orange but it may be hard to see. I think I will stick with the convicts for now at least

RogueAgent94

That's awesome! There will always be a bit of chasing until they are paired up. I usually put a divider in the tank made of plastic mesh until they were use to each other. A few times I didn't take out the divider soon enough and they spawned on the divider itself.

maxima423

just remember to make a lot of caves, even if they are a breeding pair, the male can still kill the female

ppate1977

Dividers are simple to diy. Go to a arts and crafts store, get plastic mesh, cut to size and use air pump tubing to squeeze into the tank securely.

zunedog31

yup I got caves and I'm making more, I don't really get what you mean by the divider though, why do I need to separate them?

maxima423

its not a guarantee that they will mate, and even if they do mate, one of them has the chance of killing one another, that's just how cichlids are

RogueAgent94

I was just saying that if the female is getting beaten up (or the other way around) too badly then you can divide the tank until they are big enough to spawn and then they probably won't fight as much. I suggest getting a dither fish like Zebra Danios, although they are temperate fish, or some other really fast fish. They induce the protection mode of the pairs' territory. That means they pair will spend less time paying attention to each other and more time keeping their 'space' clear of the dither fish.

zunedog31

ohh that's a good idea. I just started learning about dither fish and I love danios. say how long does it take before they start breeding? I just read a post on here that said someones pair is taking over 6 months

RogueAgent94

The danios or the convicts? Danios breed constantly lol. Convicts pair up and then breed usually twice a month.

Actually I take that back, I think you would be better with a kind of rasbora.

zunedog31

hI again guys I need some more help and I din not want to make another thread so I will add on to this and I hope I will get a response.

so the tank has the two convicts that I think are male and female (still not sure ) and they are doing pretty well. there is some fighting but its not that bad and has calmed down significantly. there are no signs of breeding and the tank looks very boring seeing how big it is just for these 2. so I went to the pet store today and I went looking for a pleco (I have bright lights and algae is getting to be a small problem, also they are completely compatible and I could have another fish ) so I got a common pleco. I also wanted another fish for this lonely tank. so I remembered what you all said and I looked for south americans. I found a really pretty jack demsey and added him to the tank also.

I added the pleco first. he swam in and went right to the glass. the male con went up to him and tried to size him up so to speak. he took one or 2 nips at him but I think he was in for a surprise when he nipped him as the plec has very rough scales like sandpaper and the pleco is not a threat to any of his territory so I think they are fine with one another.

I added the JD and it seemed ok at first but after a few minutes I noticed the male con attacking him and unlike the female con he nipped back just a little. the male and the female con teamed up later and started picking on the JD all three of them had chests flared and there was fight. I don't know what to do these fish are supposed to be compatible. its not that bad as I look at the tank now but the territory of the JD is tiny and the male has enough to worry about chasing his wife around.

any ideas what to do with these fish? should I crowd the tank? is that necessary to spread the aggression, I would love to see a fish put this male con in his place. I really want a firemouth so I am looking for one of those. please guys I need suggestions.

RogueAgent94

Hm.. that's a difficult problem. Common plecos get over two feet long and need a 55g-75g minimum. A smaller type of pleco like bristlenoses will be better for your tank.

Okay you did think correctly that JD's and Convicts are from the same general area but you have to remember that in the wild they have HUGE amounts of space to use as retreats. Your tank us just too small to have a pair of convicts and a JD. The JD will most likely be killed by the pair because he is considered a threat in their aquarium.

I suggest you return both the JD and the Pleco and get another pair of convicts or a pair of Jewel cichlids with a BN pleco instead.

Overcrowding to spread out aggression only works for Rift Lake cichlids. The male convict doesn't (and shouldn't) need to be put in its' place. It's good that he is being aggressive and protecting his territory. I'm afraid if you add new fish that the pair may just kill everything, other than plecos.

zunedog31

hmmmmm... didnt really want to hear that... about the pleco: I kinda like the pleco that I have and the pet store I got him from sells really big ones, like 24" ones, so I am pretty sure I can sell him back if he gets too big for the tank.

the JD that I have is really striking, kinda a dark color with this deep red line across the tips of its fins. it really stood out from the other jacks and terrors it was rooming with. I did notice, with a little help from my hand , that he set up a territory. the female convict tried to push him away but I shooed her away.

what would be your suggestion if say I HAD to make this tank work with what I have? this male con is ruining my tank (sometimes I just want to feed his bully self to my puffer so I can have a peaceful tank full of beautiful fish.) but I'm sticking with the convicts and this jack has a unique look to him. should I look into a dither fish like we talked about earlier? I still want those convict babies and the JD appears to keep to himself so I don't think he would be the one to be attacked for eating convict eggs. what would you suggest I do to make this tank work. (still interested in one of those beautiful firemouths, possibly enough to get rid of the JD)

RogueAgent94

hmmmmm... didnt really want to hear that... about the pleco: I kinda like the pleco that I have and the pet store I got him from sells really big ones, like 24" ones, so I am pretty sure I can sell him back if he gets too big for the tank.

the JD that I have is really striking, kinda a dark color with this deep red line across the tips of its fins. it really stood out from the other jacks and terrors it was rooming with. I did notice, with a little help from my hand , that he set up a territory. the female convict tried to push him away but I shooed her away.

what would be your suggestion if say I HAD to make this tank work with what I have? this male con is ruining my tank (sometimes I just want to feed his bully self to my puffer so I can have a peaceful tank full of beautiful fish.) but I'm sticking with the convicts and this jack has a unique look to him. should I look into a dither fish like we talked about earlier? I still want those convict babies and the JD appears to keep to himself so I don't think he would be the one to be attacked for eating convict eggs. what would you suggest I do to make this tank work. (still interested in one of those beautiful firemouths, possibly enough to get rid of the JD)

It's not so much the size of the pleco but the bio-load. They have extremely large bioloads.

The only thing I can think of to make this tank work is to take out all the fish and decorations. Then add more decorations with the old ones and make a few barriers so that the male con can't always see the female con or the JD. That way he'll be able to set up a sizable territory. Also that will break up the convicts territory forcing them to make a new territory which doesn't include the JD's.

I strongly suggest not getting anymore fish. Dither fish are used to bring out the territorial side of cichlids so they protect their young. The JD will do just that.

zunedog31

New test results are in!
Nitrate *inaccurate test* it was pink out of the bottle that the cap was left off of
Nitrite 0
Hardness 85(?)
Alkalinity 80
pH 7.0

Dont know if that helps but I thought I would add it to this update.

I thought about the bio load suggestion and there is not a lot I can do about that. I did add a small filter to the tank I had lying around. its a whisper 5-10 gallon I believe, I just tossed it in there as I had no need for it and it fit in the corner nicely. Also it is black, I have noticed that past plecos liked to latch on it because it was dark colored and maybe I can see him better when hes up there and not hiding among the rocks. also concerning the bio load, I recently got a big box of unassembled filter bags cheap on amazon so I change the filters a lot.

tank decorations are a little weird right now. I have my slate decorations in there. one is good the other was broken when I took it out and is not being repaired/redesigned then there are other slate rocks just loosely piled up on the bottom. I also was at the beack last week and the house we stayed in had tons of shells in the driveway. about 7 inch classic looking sea shells so I picked up a few of those and put them in there. it loos a little messy so I think I will take out all the shells and fill the tank with slate rock. $.35 a pound . aggression has lessened. I have noticed that there have been no major fights (I'm looking over at the tank all the time haha) and the female surprisingly is the JDs biggest enemy. sure the male does a lot of chasing if the JD wonders near him but the female con seems to sit next to him and look at him, possible hinting at a fight. well the jack can defend itself against her so all is well and there is not much of a problem, I don't know maybe they want to be friends or something but they are near eachother a lot. oh and when the female is being mean her face and stripes turn a darker black ever seen this?

thanks for your wealth of knowledge Rogue, it is a blessing having your expertise to help me

RogueAgent94

What about ammonia? You should be sure to check your nitrate because you don't want it over 20ppm especially if you intend to breed the convicts. Hardness and alkalinity are part of the pH. The shells that you put in there actually will push those up and make your water harder. I don't think that's a very good idea so when you get the slate I suggest taking all the shells out and do a good sized waterchange. Also be sure to wash the slate really well before adding it. Cichlids really like slate and will spawn on it. I like to make caves out of it by gluing pieces together and the fish will swim in and out of them.

I think it's quite normal that the female is bugging the JD. She's defending her mate and basically making sure the JD won't bother her while she is spawning. Yep it's normal that her stripes are getting darker when she is near the JD or the male convict. It basically makes her more noticeable and warns them not to mess with her. You'll see that all cichlids, and other fish, darken when spawning or fighting.

When you put the slate in your tank I think you should rearrange everything because I doubt the convicts are gonna accept his territory unless they have to build their own again. That way the JD will also get a good sized territory.

Thank you! I'm glad I can help ;D.

maxima423

I agree with RA that you need to return the pleco, I don't think you want a 24" pleco in there, fish stores are more inclined to take babies instead of adults because they are much easier to sell, I am telling you this from my experience, my uncle bought a 3inch oscar for his 40 gallon and 2 years later, it was about 8inches and it could barely turn, he tried returning it and it was rejected in the four LFS around the area

also about your cichlids, they are not trying to be friends, they are measuring each other up, if you don't return that JD, there is going to be a blood bath in a few months if not sooner

convicts are very aggressive when they are breeding, I have seen them tear apart fish in LFS that has breeding pairs and they end up over stocking the tank with other cichlids

zunedog31

I suggest taking all the shells out and do a good sized waterchange. Also be sure to wash the slate really well before adding it. Cichlids really like slate and will spawn on it. I like to make caves out of it by gluing pieces together and the fish will swim in and out of them.
great! I can do all of that today I'm going for a slate run soon . then I'm going to take everything out of the tank. while the tank is empty I will remove the JD and take him back oh and the behavior I talked about the female exhibiting, does that mean she is a female? if you need to clarify more I can make a video on the fish (colors have changed since I last filmed them)

also on the pleco, I will ask the fish store if they take in a big pleco, I know they have some monster size ones that they sell for like $15, I would give them mine for free, so I think they will take it but I will ask. while I am there should I pick up a pair of jewels? more convicts? they also have jacks, terrors and firemouths to my knowledge... what would be good to go with my pair of cons. the tank looks so empty! I don't care what you suggest just pick something for me ;D please be specific, males females, size colorations and patterns that will work and I will see what I can get.

RogueAgent94

You should post before and after pictures!! Are you getting different color slate?

I'm glad you decided to take the JD back. It's best for him/her.

Another problem with the pleco that I just remembered is that they like to eat eggs and if your pair doesn't defend their batch from the pleco then he will eat the eggs. It isn't common for convicts to not defend their eggs though. Just a possibility that you can think about.

I think you should just get another pair of convicts if you really want something. Or you could get a small school of Giant Danios or Rasboras. Female convicts always have some red on their sides. That's basically the best way to tell the difference between male and female. Here are some pictures that may help you tell the difference between male and female convicts.

Male convict -

Female Convict (freewebs.com) -

zunedog31

OK so I am back from this rock landscaping place. it was perfect! they had tons of slate and bluestone, the guy knew what I was looking for and said it was even better then slate. the going rate was $.30/pound. he let me look around and I picked up handfuls of fragments and interesting pieces of slate and bluestone. (if you didnt know, bluestone has a rough sandy texture like concrete but breaks kinda like slate) so I picked up pieces that had fallen out of pallets of big pieces. I ended up with 3 large slabs of bluestone and 42 pounds of mixed bluestone and slate ranging from the size of the palm of your hand to large pebbles. I asked what he wanted for this and he said he could never sell small stuff like that and I could take it for $5 ;D so now I have 50+ lbs of rock to decorate with ;D

those pictures helped. I am almost positive I have a male and a female now but I have made a video for you guys showing all 3 fish interacting with one another.

about the pleco, him eating the eggs...ehh I don't know I suppose he could but I plan to keep him will fed, I have algae wafers for him. they are aggressive as it is I can imagine how aggressive they will be with babies, and I'm not looking to keep tons and tons of babies, I would be happy with 3 survivors...oh and you can see in the video I have brown algae in the tank. the plec is not really interested in that, should he be? if not I will just clean it off. just wondering.

the raspora idea is good and the danios, about how many can I put in? and are there any other tropical fish that would work, it would look pretty nice with a school of anything, better then the empty look I have now.

RogueAgent94

That's great! Your tank looks really good. A few more caves and barriers would be good as well if you wanted to put more rock in. Or you could try plants.

The plecos wait till the lights are turned off then they just suck up the eggs. I've seen it happen a lot. It's not because he's hungry or anything. It's just like a delicacy for them I guess.

Your JD looks very stressed in the video. The very first part of the video with the one convict shows the male. The other is a female. I'm 90% sure.

Well Giant Danios is was I was thinking of because they get larger and they are really fast. They're pretty as well. Other flashy fish are sometimes not fast enough and can be expensive to replace. After looking at your tank I think added another pair of convicts might be nice. Your tank won't look empty for long because convicts can get BIG. And when they get big they will always be right in your face.

zunedog31

ok great, so I have done my aquascaping and the tank looks COMPLETELY different
I took this video of the fish just now after I saw that you had responded. the lights had been off for an hour or so so the fish are sleepy and not doing anything, also the pleco was right out in the open so you can see him finally. but its not really about the fish in this video. that structure is the big news. I would say it is about 40 lbs of rock in there and it is not stuck together so I can rearrange it if needed. the botton has some caves made from terra cotta pots cut in half, 3 of them, and the entire structure has 3 legs to it, not much space in the center however. the fish don't seem too interested in it though.

one quick thing about the fish behavior, when I put the rocks in the tank the male con came up and bit me 2or 3 times, I was like are you kidding me! then later I decided to feed the pleco. I gave him a piece of an algae pellet and set it right next to him so he could see it. he sucked on it for about 20 seconds and stepped away for a second an a male con came up and took it away and ate it! jerk! he deserves to have his babies stolen! ;D

anyway so I think I will take the jack back, although at this point I just want to say 'screw it, if he dies he dies' because I find myself going back and forth to the pet store for this tank all the time.

about adding the convicts, the store that I go to has them cheeeeeep like less then $2 cheep where the other place has them for like 6. I want to buy there, when I picked up the JD on thursday they has ohhh about 10 cons in stock. one female albino (I don't really like albinos) and the rest striped males. now that you know my (hopefully) final tank setup can I have more cons? I hope to try to raise the babies if they make them. should I get males striped or would you recommend getting that white female? maybe 3 dainos? if I go there and they have a firemouth I will want it so bad I need to just say no haha. just a very hypothetical question: could I have my 2 cons, my pleco, the JD add 2 cons and a firemouth and be ok and just let what happens happen? I'm guessing no but thought I would ask.

RogueAgent94

Hello,

It looks great! I really like the structures. If they aren't glued together are you sure they are stable so they won't fall down and hurt the fish or crack the tank?

It sounds like the male con is getting ready to breed! Mine did that all the time to me. Especially during gravel vacs. Haha I bet the algae wafer was good for him . Just put in another for the pleco .

I think you should get the white female with a striped male because then you'll get mixed fry. That would be really nice. If you do get another pair of cons after you return the JD I wouldn't add anything else. Your last question about stocking wouldn't be a good idea at all! Sorry.

Your tank looks really good!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• perrydaplatypus
  • Cichlid
Replies
Views
NavyChief20
Replies
Views
MomeWrath
Replies
Views
JKCichlids
Replies
Views
Ben E

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

Please respect copyright and do not use copyrighted photos found on the internet in your posts. Please only post your OWN photos/videos. Use links to copyrighted content if you would like to share.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom