Need Advice with my Cichlids

zunedog31

Ok so I have a 42 gallon tank that that has been set up for a week and a half and was treated so that it is now cycled. I decided to get cichilds and try them for the first time. I went with 2 electric yellows, an orange one that looks like the labs and a breeding pair of convicts.

one of the convicts, the male I'm pretty sure, has become the boss of the tank and all the rest of the fish are very peaceful and laid back. his aggression is not that violent but I have never kept violent fish .

is this behavior typical of mating?? should I worry about him acting like this?

secondly I am going out to get more fish soon and I don't know what is best to get. I am shopping at petsmart so that is what I have to work with. I am really interested in bumblebees but I hear that they can be pretty nasty to their tank mates. would an aggressive bumblebee be good for my male convict? put him in line perhaps? I am really in need of guidance here. please help me know my tank better! thanks!!

maxima423

well looking at your profile it says you know about the nitrogen cycle, but yet you are still not cycled and buying fish? I suggest you stop buying fish until your tank is fully cycled, a tank set up for a week and a half is not a cycled tank, since you already have fish, please read up on https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

also africans should not be mixed with american cichlids, please do your research before you venture off to your LFS and start buying fish

please keep us updated

zunedog31

well looking at your profile it says you know about the nitrogen cycle, but yet you are still not cycled and buying fish? I suggest you stop buying fish until your tank is fully cycled, a tank set up for a week and a half is not a cycled tank, since you already have fish, please read up on https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

also africans should not be mixed with american cichlids, please do your research before you venture off to your LFS and start buying fish
the tank is cycled. I used seachem stability as well as prime for more then the required amount of time. I also used cheap fish to help cycle the tank and used filter media from my other tank.

trust me the tank is cycled and ready for fish.

also, about mixing americans with africans was not my intention but was suggested to me. I am not a cichild purist and don't really care as long as they are happy and not fighting. nevertheless this is the hand I was dealt and I'm sticking with it.

Aj17

Hello again zunedog!
maxima, I really don't get what the problem is with mixing africans and americans
It works fine in my experience . . . Also I think it is possible to cycle a tank in that amout of time. Not if it just sits there with a clean filter and no bacteria, but with used media, hardy fish, and the ''bottled bacteria'' or water conditioner (like you used zunedog) it will be cycled. That's what I do!

ROK99

Try nutrafin cycle. That will cycle your tank in 3 days. I did that when I realized that I forgot to cycle and my old tank worked like a charm.

ScottsTanks

Convicts are just aggressive fish in general. They can be very mean, even picking on fish much bigger then them.

psalm18.2

Here's a link that may be helpful:

ppate1977

If you have a breeding pair of convicts you are going to have issues. I have almost only cichlids, both am and African. The issue you have is the male convict will start attacking and killing all tankmates.

As for mixing am an African cichlids, they have very different personalities. Some people get away with it. I have a Texas cichlid in my KenyI tank, though he hides a lot. Bumble Bee cichlids don't get that aggressive till they get about 4", then they are monsters.

zunedog31

thanks for the link I read it over. cichilds are still pretty complicated to me but I'm learning more every day going out to get the cichilds soon. going to see what they say at petsmart. may also get a pictus cat while I'm there.

ScottsTanks

Pictus Cats are great. I have one with my EBJD. You really should get them in groups of three though. I think mine might be a bit lonely.

maxima423

the tank is cycled. I used seachem stability as well as prime for more then the required amount of time. I also used cheap fish to help cycle the tank and used filter media from my other tank.

trust me the tank is cycled and ready for fish.

you need

0 ammonia
0 nitrite
10+ nitrate

your readings are

unknown ammonia
.4 nitrite

17 nitrate

that is not a cycled tank, I am just going by your readings and they say not cycled

if you want to add fish go ahead, but when you make the thread about your problems after adding fish, ill just link this thread to you, sorry

Try nutrafin cycle. That will cycle your tank in 3 days. I did that when I realized that I forgot to cycle and my old tank worked like a charm.

nutrafin cycle will not cycle your tank, it says in the directions that you need to add it for every water change which IMO is a BIG waste of money, a product that has worked for me ( when I tested it for my second tank ) and other fishlorians is tetra safe start, here is a step by step which I followed that helped me finish my "test" cycle https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/q-a-with-tetra-about-tetra-safestart.58116/

zunedog31

so I am back to petsmart and got 2 aceI cichilds and a jewel. they are really pretty and nice to the fish. I just released them into the tank so they are still looking for territories and stuff but they seem like good fish. that male convict is still being mean to everyone. I really hope he chills out because I don't want any of these beautiful fish to die. they were out of bumblebees so I will try and pick one up next time I'm there.

AlyeskaGirl

thanks for the link I read it over. cichilds are still pretty complicated to me but I'm learning more every day going out to get the cichilds soon. going to see what they say at petsmart. may also get a pictus cat while I'm there.

Pictus Cats are peaceful, sensitive to water quality and need to be kept in a group of 3-4 to be happy and keeping with aggressive cichlids isn't the best idea. Need a larger tank to keep a small group. Catfish are also scaleless and they are prone to getting ICH if not properly cared for.

ppate1977

You are in for a big surprise once that jewel gets comfortable. I have a jewel species only tank; they even kill eachother. I wish you luck though imo you have a volatile mix of fish.

maxima423

You are in for a big surprise once that jewel gets comfortable. I have a jewel species only tank; they even kill eachother. I wish you luck though imo you have a volatile mix of fish.

you are correct, he will be in a big surprise soon, a 42g is no where near big enough to house the fish he has purchased, they might look happy to your opinion, but he don't speak fish

zunedog31

Pictus Cats are peaceful, sensitive to water quality and need to be kept in a group of 3-4 to be happy and keeping with aggressive cichlids isn't the best idea. Need a larger tank to keep a small group. Catfish are also scaleless and they are prone to getting ICH if not properly cared for.

I knew there was a reason I didnt get it! there were also silver tipped sharks but they looked difficult to take care of so I passed. I got enough to worry about with this tank. oh and thanks for the support guys, appreciate it >.<

Aj17

I think you should return the male convict.

zunedog31

I agree. hes a cool fish but he is making a peaceful tank hostile. I hope one day I can keep breeding convicts sounds really cool. yea ill return him

AlyeskaGirl

I knew there was a reason I didnt get it! there were also silver tipped sharks but they looked difficult to take care of so I passed. I got enough to worry about with this tank. oh and thanks for the support guys, appreciate it >.<

I believe the Silver Tip shark needs to be kept in a brackish tank and get large.

Don't buy any fish on impulse, research first.

maxima423

I don't know why you are ignoring the fact that your fish don't have the room they need to grow, they might be small now, but wait a while and you will see that they will outgrow your tank real fast

those fish you bought really need to be in a tank of at least a minimum of 55 or 75g, your PH is also unsuitable, africans are usually in a PH of 7.8+, also your filter might not be good enough, I suggest you upgrade to at least a canister filter

I suggest you come to terms that you can not house these species with the tank you have, saying "I am going to get a bigger tank in the future" does not fix the fact that life does happen and that might get pushed further and further down to the road that you might not even upgrade, unless you already have the bigger tank set to go, I really urge you to fix your stocking until you get the bigger tank

kdutch917

Convict Cichlids are aggressive fish. I had a breeding pair years ago when I was a kid. However, I did not mix them with any other fish. African Cichlids are, for the most part, herbivores. Convicts are omnivores but generally prefer protein. They get extremely aggressive during breeding which is why most people will tell you not to mix them. If they weren't breeders, then I would say go ahead and mix away. As for the cycle, it generally takes two to four weeks to get a tank ready for fish. I personally cycle new tanks naturally by taking water and some gravel waste from an established tank and putting it in the new tank. I do this every time I do a water change/gravel vacuum on the established tanks. Generally, the water clears within two weeks. The last tank I cycled was my 55 gallon. I added a couple of cheap pond sponge filters powered with an air pump. Took about two weeks to clear and I ran it for another two or three weeks before I put some rather healthy sized Malawi's in it. Did a thirty percent water change on the tank and then put the fish in there and they are doing just fine. The numbers all look good too. Back to the fish. I would keep the two breeders by themselves and put everything else in another tank, if possible. Just my opinion, take it or leave it.

zunedog31

I don't know why you are ignoring the fact that your fish don't have the room they need to grow, they might be small now, but wait a while and you will see that they will outgrow your tank real fast

those fish you bought really need to be in a tank of at least a minimum of 55 or 75g, your PH is also unsuitable, africans are usually in a PH of 7.8+, also your filter might not be good enough, I suggest you upgrade to at least a canister filter

I suggest you come to terms that you can not house these species with the tank you have, saying "I am going to get a bigger tank in the future" does not fix the fact that life does happen and that might get pushed further and further down to the road that you might not even upgrade, unless you already have the bigger tank set to go, I really urge you to fix your stocking until you get the bigger tank
those numbers are about a week old. the tank is perfectly fine for fish and is cycled properly and by the books. I treated it quite liberally with seachem stability for over a week and a half, used fish to cycle and filter media from another tank. the fish are doing just fine living in there. the numbers were taken awhile back and have improved without a doubt. I have doubled the amount of rock in the tank to raise the pH.

maxima423

then fix it? take new readings with a liquid test instead of a test kit? makes more sense if you do that, you still have not fixed the problem with the tank size btw, just informing you

zunedog31

then fix it? take new readings with a liquid test instead of a test kit? makes more sense if you do that, you still have not fixed the problem with the tank size btw, just informing you
I have been informed by multiple people that I have a good number of fish in there and I could even have 1 or 2 more then that. I have decided to stop stocking cichilds and take the mean convict back. in terms of size I believe that I am fine in terms of aggression I can't really comment because after the convict is gone I don't know what will happen. I am leaving the female convict and that is my only concern for being a mean fish.the others are all very similar size and attitude and I have not seen any aggression from any of them.

I would love to have a drip test but they are expensive and I don't really see the need. I have a couple strip tests left but I do not see a need to spend so much money on a set. and about the filter I like the filter I have because it has the same size bio bags as my other tank. I may upgrade to a canister in the future but they are still small and do not produce enough waste to overwhelm the filter I have now. any other questions??

AlyeskaGirl

I think you are being responsible by taking the mean convict back and going from there.

Lexi03

I have been informed by multiple people that I have a good number of fish in there and I could even have 1 or 2 more then that. I have decided to stop stocking cichilds and take the mean convict back. in terms of size I believe that I am fine in terms of aggression I can't really comment because after the convict is gone I don't know what will happen. I am leaving the female convict and that is my only concern for being a mean fish.the others are all very similar size and attitude and I have not seen any aggression from any of them.

I would love to have a drip test but they are expensive and I don't really see the need. I have a couple strip tests left but I do not see a need to spend so much money on a set. and about the filter I like the filter I have because it has the same size bio bags as my other tank. I may upgrade to a canister in the future but they are still small and do not produce enough waste to overwhelm the filter I have now. any other questions??
Hi! Just thought I would mention that the luqiud tests are actually cheaper in the long run. The strips don't come with very many in a bottle, and they expire 30days after you open the bottle. The liquid kit has around 200 of each test in it and doesn't expire for 3 or so years.

Every one else has mentioned your stock, so I won't repeat anything. The only other thing I wanted to bring to your attention is the directions on the bottle of stabilaty, like Nutrafin cycle and Stress zyme, instruct you to add the product with each weekly water change. They contain a different strain of bacteria than would normally cycle your tank, and they only last about a week in your tank, then they die out or go dorment, so if you don't keep adding them, your tank will become uncycled( and you may experience minI cycles towards the end of the week, as they stop working) however as long as you keep adding this product, it will out compete the correct bacteria for an ammonia source, keeping your tank from ever really becoming cycled.

ppate1977

I agree with Maxima on every point. Your fish may seem fine now but as I stated earlier (I am not being rude but want you to have success), you are sitting on a ticking time bomb of tank mates. You do not need to take our advice, and I wish you luck, but many of us know exactly what may happen. I wish you the best and hope things work out.

zunedog31

what am I supposed to do. I got a decent size tank and was looking for something cooler then common tetras and stuff like that. I decided cichilds would be fun and interesting fish. I go to petsmart and petco websites and see that I can keep the fish that I have in a 29 gallon or more tank () and I thought it would be perfect seeing as I have 42 gallon. I go to petco and the manager there seemed to know everything about these fish and advised me to get the fish I got. (before this I made another post on here asking for ideas on what to get from you guys because I assumed you had had these fish before and could point me in the right direction but got no examples as to what to get) so I get home and tell you guys about what I got an I am attacked from all angles as to my tank size, cycling, how to cycle, compatibility, who to trust at petco, filters, outgrowing tanks etc. etc. this leaves me confused. when I went to petsmart today I spoke with their manager, told her my situation and she thought all was well with what I had done so far. (keep in mind I overheard this lady speaking with an upset customer because she would not sell her a fish due to what the customer told her about their small tank setup.) so I got a pair of aceI and a jewel today and tell you guys what is happening and again you guys make me feel like I did something wrong again. do you think the people at petsmart and petco are trying to trick me or something? I understand that you all are very concerned with the well being of the fish and you guys are the reason I will be returning that mean convict tomorrow. put yourself in my shoes. I know a lot about typical freshwater tanks and have several successful tanks. I tried cichilds and confided in the people that it is their job to advise on these fish then I find out from this forum that I was completely wrong and I am a terrible fish owner.

in all honesty I would like to know what to do next. the petco fish can be returned within 15 days so I can potentially take back the 2 electric yellows, the orange one and the 2 convicts. I will have to look into the petsmart policy but I think I can take the jewel and the 2 acei's back. that will give me an empty tank. if we go that route I need to know what I can put in the tank with examples of the fish that can be purchased at petco or petsmart. with such conflicting reports I will trust you guys.

I really don't want to start over but if I am "sitting on a ticking time bomb" then it is the only reasonable thing to do.

Lexi03

I am sorry if you felt attacked, that was not my intention. I just wanted to make sure you had good information. As for your stock there are cichlids that can go in your tank, just need to find out what direction you want to go, and figure out some that are compatable and will do well in the tank you have. As far as the advice from the stores, I find the stores to be hit and miss sometimes. On one hand I have overheard an employee explain the nitrogen cycle in great depth to a customer, and recommend that they come back for fish when the tank is ready, then turn right around and tell another customer that a 20gal tank is more than big enough to hold 6 angelfish, then sell the next person a .5 gal betta bowl, and insist that the fish won't need a filter or heater. Another employee at one of these stores told me it would be perfectlly ok to keep 3guppies, a corycatfish and a snail in a 2gal. Tank.

maxima423

a 42g is a decent sized tank, and africans are awesome fish, but they really need a minimum tank of 55g, some require a set school so they can spread aggression

I personally would not listen to store employees, like I said before they are there for the business, as long as you keep coming back, they know they will most likely have you buy a certain product that will help you in the short term, for example nutrafin cycle, it needs to be used every week after the water change, its better if you ask or do personal research so you would not be tricked by people that are there for the sale instead of the fish

compatibility is a tricky thing, that's why research is very important, aceis and labs actually look great together in a big space, territories can be set and they will know whos the top dog, but if you cram them in a small space, they will kill for territory instead of dividing it like they would in a bigger tank

if you really want cichlids, there are some great dwarf american cichlids and some small africans, there are bolivian rams, german blue/gold rams, electric blue rams, curviceps, angelfish will fit nicely into your 42g and a bunch more american cichlids that will do nicely in your tank... africans are a different story, I can't name every single one of them, but a few that are nice are kribensis and shelldweller cichlids that get to around one or two inches that if aquascaped nicely, will look spectacular

I am personally biased to americans cichlids, I just love aquascaping with plants and driftwood, I personally think that they are the greatest fish out there, I love everything about american cichlids, from the dwarfs to the giants

I would return all your africans and if you are set on cichlids, I would build around the convicts if you have not returned them, they are a great starter fish, they breed like rabbits too, if you don't plan on actually breeding them, you can have some great two to three inch fish with them peacefully

with a 42g, I would personally stock it as:

one firemouth cichlid ( easily bought in fish stores )
dwarf pleco
school of rainbowfish ( praecox for me )
school of cories

I would make it a moderate/heavy planted tank

sorry if you felt attacked with my comments, I was just pointing out the problems that would lead to future harm and a headache to you in the future

*EDIT*

if you plan on having more than one convict make sure its male and female, and if they do breed, I would personally just make a tank for them, they would be aggressive to every other fish... that's just how cichlids are =T

Aj17

I gave you examples zunedog! I recommended labs, peacocks and zebras. I would never have recommended a convict! I think if you return at least the male convict (maybe both) and the jewel you will be fine. Aceis and electric yellows have a gentle temperments. From my experience, a 42 gallon can be used for cichlids. As long as you don't get giant ones! My dad has a 40 gallon cichlid tank that I help care for and they are very healthy fish. Previously, my dad was keeping them in a 29 gallon! Now that's too small! Thank goodness I got him to upgrade. Since being in the forty, their colors have brightened ten fold. They eat, they swim, they bicker. The newly added firemouths display their red throats. They are not crying out for 15 more gallons.

zunedog31

I think I figured out exactly what those 'assorted' fish are. I think I have 1 electric yellow, one yellow zebra and a red zebra. I'm sure that does not change anything but I figured that out. still debating what to do at this point. there is a local fish store I can try.

ppate1977

I am also sorry if you felt attacked. I think you are trying your best. You will be successful with cichlids, they are just a bit tricky to find compatibility between. I myself learned many of these things the hard way...

Your tank is large enough for many different cichlids; which are your favorite? I, as well as everyone else would be glad to give stocking suggestions around that. Imo you need a clear direction with cichlids, they are not mix and match. Don't feel discouraged! You will end up with a better tank in the long run.

maxima423

I gave you examples zunedog! I recommended labs, peacocks and zebras. I would never have recommended a convict! I think if you return at least the male convict (maybe both) and the jewel you will be fine. Aceis and electric yellows have a gentle temperments. From my experience, a 42 gallon can be used for cichlids. As long as you don't get giant ones! My dad has a 40 gallon cichlid tank that I help care for and they are very healthy fish. Previously, my dad was keeping them in a 29 gallon! Now that's too small! Thank goodness I got him to upgrade. Since being in the forty, their colors have brightened ten fold. They eat, they swim, they bicker. The newly added firemouths display their red throats. They are not crying out for 15 more gallons.

aceis and yellows are peaceful, but giving that they still need to establish territory, that's why caves are important, during breeding time, cichlids tend to be really aggressive, and if you plan on doing the recommended numbers of male to female, you will have breeders in your tank... wouldnt that be a sight in a 42g right? personally I would not mix cichlids if you plan to breed them, I would have them let have their own tank and let them be, mixing them with OTHER cichlids during breeding time would lead to over aggression in a small amount of space like a 42g

unless you are the "minimum guy", I would not recommend this setup, this can't even count as the minimum because its below the minimum, if you want to do this go ahead, I am going to stop answering to this thread because apparently the minimum does not count to you, I don't believe on having the minimum, its the person that buys that fish that puts them there, if you want to lead down this path go ahead, but if you want my answers please pm me

I will tell you, its not going to look pretty when those fish hit 5-6 inches, when they reach maturity soon and start to breed, you are in for a surprise, and since this is your first time with cichlids, make some popcorn and watch some youtube vids or read some articles on cichlids breeding, and given the number of cichlids you need to make each species happy, good luck and have fun

zunedog31

ok thanks maxima for putting it like it is...

anyway. I decided to shoot a quick video for you guys of the tank.
does this change any opinions? also please confirm that I have a male and a female pair of convicts, really hard to tell them apart.

ppate1977

I really like your rock set up zunedog! Looks great. If you want my honest opinion I think you should stick to African cichlids as the setup is perfect for them. The only reason I warned you about the jewel is that I have been breeding them. I keep them in a species tank and if I don't separate them in time..... Killing spree! I think you could do a zebra tank if you like them. Or stick with your convicts. Your fish are all small now so everything you have will work out, till the day mayhem breaks lose. You never know quite when that will happen.

Do some Google searches on your favorite cichlids so far and build around that.

Did you set up all those rock structures yourself?

zunedog31

Did you set up all those rock structures yourself?
yup. all hand built. ok that manager at petco said on the phone that if my water is ok I can take those fish back. but I need to go soon she leaves at 3. PLEASE any last suggestions!? what do I do. feel free to create a tank for me I don't care. I love the convicts and would really like to see them mate and have babys. what do I take back and what do I get from the store?? I am also going to that LFS and I will see what they say and maybe get a fish from them. I like the jewel from petsmart too. the others I guess I can part with. any last suggestions before I go out!? any way I can keep the convicts and the jewel??

ppate1977

If you like the convicts, stick with them. The jewel will be a pest in my experience, if you want to keep it you can give it a shot. Just don't put any other jewels in. Jewels do usually work with am cichlids, you just don't want a breeding pair of jewels and convicts!

zunedog31

ok so what do I do today? should I get rid of the yellow ones and the orange one? aren't those peaceful? I can get rid of the jewel. what about the aceis?

zunedog31

ok I think I will try what I have got. I think I will take the jewel back. breeding convicts sounds way too cool to pass up without at least trying. the males aggression doesn not seem to be to the point where he would kill a fish. I am going to put even more rocks in the tank to help these guys find boundaries and all that. I agree that it is best for any fish to be in a huge tank but this is the tank that I have and I most likely will not upgrade in the near future. I have heard that all of these guys can live in 29 gallons and I have more then that. all the fish seem calm and happy at this point. I will stick with this forum and let you guys know of any changes. I have something like 10 days to think all this over before I am stuck with them. I have heard that a lot of cichild keeping is about the individual fish and I think I will keep what I got and give it a try. its good to know I have a forum that will help me if I need it. thanks for all the help with this and please check out the youtube video and comment on that. I'm still open to suggestions if you have them.

ppate1977

Peaceful is a relative term when speaking of cichlids. If you are going with the convicts (you're look great), remove the Africans. Stock around the convicts, if you do have a breeding pair, they will fill your tank in no time...

zunedog31

Peaceful is a relative term when speaking of cichlids. If you are going with the convicts (you're look great), remove the Africans. Stock around the convicts, if you do have a breeding pair, they will fill your tank in no time...
that's an interesting idea. so if I get rid of everyone but the convicts what can I put in there?

edit: I tried to round up the africans and it was impossible with all the rockwork. I am now very very frustrated with the situation. what a headache

ppate1977

Going with just the convicts and some compatible dither fish is your best bet. You have been bombarded with info... I know how hard African cichlids are to catch... Lol. If you are sticking with what you have, not to big of a deal. Things will work themselves out naturally. To be honest that's what happened with my first cichlid tank a couple years ago. Just have fun, that's the most important thing!

Aj17

the orange one is definitely a red zebra

zunedog31

Signs of Breeding? (Convicts)

HI guys. this question has been nagging me for a couple days. Are my convicts going to breed? I know this sounds dumb but do I have two males perhaps? please watch this video (in post #36) I shot of my tank and identify if there is a boy and a girl and not 2 boys or 2 girls. I can not tell any difference in size. the one I suspect as the girl is slightly lighter then the other one and has a very faint pink blotch on her cheeks in front of her fins and a tiny bit of teal sparkle on her top fins. The one I suspect is the male is the boss of the tank and is mildly aggressive to everyone. Please confirm that I have a boy and a girl.

second question: do you think they will breed? the male is chasing the female around a lot and his aggression gets mostly taken out on her. is this typical of breeding convicts, I hear they breed like crazy but as far as I can tell they are acting like a pair of males :/

RogueAgent94

Hello!

First of all I'd like to say that Convicts are SA/CA cichlids and shouldn't be kept with African Mbuna cichlids. Also I saw you had a Jeweled cichlid in there as well. They are from West Africa and do not do well with Mbuna cichlids either.

Both your convicts look male to me. Females clearly have red/orange on their sides.

zunedog31

Hello!

First of all I'd like to say that Convicts are SA/CA cichlids and shouldn't be kept with African Mbuna cichlids. Also I saw you had a Jeweled cichlid in there as well. They are from West Africa and do not do well with Mbuna cichlids either.

Both your convicts look male to me. Females clearly have red/orange on their sides.
yup, I know and the jewel is going back.

btw I clicked the link in your signature and spent an hour and a half reading all of it! in so jealous!

ppate1977

Jonathan, zunedog is aware of his stocking. Just a heads up to everyone not to turn this into a stocking thread... Zunedog already got bombarded with that info! (just looking to keep your thread on topic zunedog ). As for the convicts breeding, they are most.likely to do so if alone. I have a hard time sexing convicts, I buy the fish I breed in known pairs from a great lfs.

Btw: if Jonathan thinks your fish are both males, I would take his word. He knows a LOT about breeding different fish.

zunedog31

Jonathan, zunedog is aware of his stocking. Just a heads up to everyone not to turn this into a stocking thread... Zunedog already got bombarded with that info! (just looking to keep your thread on topic zunedog ). As for the convicts breeding, they are most.likely to do so if alone. I have a hard time sexing convicts, I buy the fish I breed in known pairs from a great lfs.

Btw: if Jonathan thinks your fish are both males, I would take his word. He knows a LOT about breeding different fish.
Thanks ppate, I'm still in that window for taking the fish back... maybe keep the breeding pair and keep some babies to have a species only tank of convicts?? I don't know this whole tank is a mess and definitely, Jonathan sure knows his stuff.
and man that really bums me out thinking I have 2 males. that just makes a bad situation worse. without a breeding pair to build off of I have nothing and I may have to return the entire stock and start over. that is if I can catch those things

Similar Aquarium Threads

• perrydaplatypus
  • Cichlid
Replies
Views
NavyChief20
Replies
Views
MomeWrath
Replies
Views
JKCichlids
Replies
Views
Ben E

Did You Know...

Lucy contacted the Tetra SafeStart manufacturer to get some of the more common questions members had answered on how to use TSS correctly. See it here:
Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom