Need advice! Want a centerpiece fish but don't know which kind? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Junne, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Hello there!

I am wanting to get a centerpiece fish for my 36 gallon but don't know what kind and what would be compatible with my current set up.
    Since I am getting limited on space, I would only like to get a species that I can have only ONE in the tank. Something that is not aggressive and will get along with my peaceful tetra's.

CURRENT SET UP:
    Tank - 36 gallon
    Fish - Neons, Cardinals, Glowlight and Ember Tetra's
    Cory catfish ( 2 )
    Zebra Danios ( 2 )
    BN Pleco ( 1 )
    Snails ( mystery, Nerites and MTS )

Suggestions, please :)

Thanks

Junne

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would say you could try an angelfish, if you get a small one he may not ever eat your tetras growing up with them. I don't know about having one in there with those crazy danios though, especially in a insufficient school I'd be afraid of nipping.

3. OP
    OP
    Junne

I was thinking Angelfish too but don't they need to school in groups?

Yeah i did have a good school of Danio's but they all ended up dying of that curved spine thing that they get. I was surprised that the 2 remaining did not suffer the same fate as they all came from the same stock! So I am NOT going to get any more danios - just don't want to go through that again.

They seem to school with the tetras and they don't bother anyone at this point. When I rehomed my barbs, I almost did the same with the 2 danios but they don't seem to bother anyone so I left them be.

4. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

I would say angel too. Make sure it's little though. I tried the introduced some black neons to my take with my 5 inch angel in it. Mistake, my angelfish was trying to eat through the bag to get at them. So I had to take them back.

5. Matt B

When small they school together for security but they are fine by themselves ultimately.

6. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Maybe a gourami?

7. OP
    OP
    Junne

Aren't Gourami's semi aggressive?

8. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I agree with Matt and Freak. An Angelfish would be a nice centerpiece for what stock you currently have. :)

9. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

Junne, I've been trying to decide on a centerpiece fish as well. I think I've decided on a Honey Gourami - they stay smaller and aren't supposed to be as aggressive as the Dwarf Gourami. Plus they get to be really pretty when out of those store tanks and in their own environment :) Just a thought

10. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thank you - any particular kind that is better than another? One that doesn't get too big?

11. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Some gouramis are okay with smaller schooling fish, they have a great body shape too, an angel would be lovely also

12. A

How big is the maximum?

13. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

I know that three spot/blue gourami can be quite full of themselves, so that may not be a good choice. The honeys are supposedly more peaceful, and our gourami is very personable, even puts his 'feelers' toward your finger at the glass for high fives.. high fins? Not sure how much personality difference there is from a blue to a honey, though.

We just picked up 2 little angels. I just tried to measure them by putting a mini tape measure in front of the glass. The little gold angel kept chasing the metal tip LOL (oh yes, I will get a video later!) but finally I estimated their body is about an inch long. The folks at the LFS said they were really smart fish, and just over the past day they seem to be a great choice. I agree with the others and say if you haven't had angels in the past, one would be an awesome addition to your family!

14. OP
    OP
    Junne

Thanks for the great advice!!!!! :) Now to decide - Gourami or Angel.... I will probably go with an Angel though.......... Maybe a Gourami when I get my 92 gallon corner bowfront ( wishing! )

15. A

This one only reaches about 4". :)

16. OP
    OP
    Junne

I was reading it and it says I should keep in groups of 6 or more ( aggression )
    I only want to get ONE for my tank since I have limited space and have Tetra's that are peaceful.

17. A

All Angels have the capability to fly solo at the adult stage, so if you only get one, you'll be fine.

Just remember, any fish that is below 2" can be a decent snack for an adult Angelfish.

18. Matt B

More or less they're going to be 6-9" from tip to tip of their fins when fully grown, you measure their body size in terms of coinage and don't consider fins. Like a small juvie would be a dime size then nickel, so on and so forth. Altums get the largest so I would avoid them. If its your first one just to get your feet wet instead of going through a breeder who often have minimum orders if you have a decent lfs try one of their angels, in all likelyhood it will be Pterophyllum scalare and you can probably get a nice zebra pattern one pretty readily.

19. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

Hello;) I am big on the angel idea. If you go gourami I would suggest a male pearl..their coloring and fringe is just lovely, the female has less coloring but still intriguing! they aree extremely peaceful and friendly. In my 29 gallon I have cardinals and neons and corys, like yourself, and my centre is a very bright blue and white marble colored swordtail, they get about 4 inches and are fun to watch.
    Another idea could be a pair of bolivian, german blue, or electric blue rams..
    I actually have 3 nickle size angels in my 36 atm a smokey widefin, a black one and a koi. I am not sure if they are male or female..my luck they are all male..out of 10 angels in my lifetime all male! grrrr. when they get a bit bigger I am moving 2 out into my 125g (xmas pressie) and leaving one in there.

Can't wait to see pictures of what you decide!

20. OP
    OP
    Junne

I am really leaning toward the Angel. I have always loved them but wasn't sure if they would be right for my tank or not.
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice