Need Advice Treating SAEs With Ick.

Megaanemp

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 3 weeks (quarantine tank for new arrival)
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 80F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

3x young Siamese Algae Eaters ( about 2”)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Every 3 days
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime and Equilibrium
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes (pre cycled sponge filter)
What do you use to test the water? API liquid test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: ~5ppm
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Feeding fish food every 3 days and giving them algae covered rocks daily
How much do you feed your fish? small amount - 1/4” cube of Repashy
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Repashy super green
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Just under 3 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Looks like each fish has 3-5 ick spots
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Yes (more info below)
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Not much, occasional scratching

My situation:

Hello everyone,

Ive never dealt with Ich (or Ick) and could really use some advice!

(Pls note I’m in Canada so I don’t have access to much in the way of medication.)

As mentioned above I have 3 very young Siamese Algea Eaters ranging from 1 1/2”- 2” long in my 10 gallon quarantine tank.
Ive had these fish for about 3 weeks now and only noticed ick spots this morning.

So far I have started to warm up the tank it was at 76F it’s now at about 80F. I have also been adding salt over the last few hours. From what Ive read, I think I need to aim for at least 2 TBSP per gallon to treat Ick. I plan on doing a daily water change and vacuuming The substrate each time.

I need advice on...

- What temp I should keep the tank at during treatment? I have read some guides saying to raise the temp to 80F while others say 86F. Im concerned that 86F may be too hot for SAE.

- How much salt to add. Is 2TBSP aquarium salt per gallon enough to be effective while still remaining safe for SAE (are they sensitive to salinity)?

Advice would be greatly appreciated :)

ChrissFishes01

Temperature during ich treatment is debated, but I wouldn't go too much over 80-82. Most fish handle warmer temps okay, but it does induce stress in some - and while it causes the parasite's lifecycle to go faster, it doesn't actually kill most strains of ich until you get into water that's far too hot for fish to live in anyway. Makes for a faster treatment, but if it stresses your fish out anyway, it's not worth it IMO.

2 tbsp of salt per gallon is a lot - wayyyyyy more than you need. I've always found 1 tbsp per 2 gallons to be a good starting place, with 1 tbsp per gallon being an extreme dose. I imagine 2 tbsp per gallon would probably be getting into dangerous territory.

This is a "test" that I did with my brackish tank. I used marine salt (since it was gonna be brackish anyway), but I've used marine salt to treat freshwater fish for ich before with success. I've got some in my QT right now, actually.

Freshwater Ich's Tolerance to Marine Salt | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 488909

For reference, that 1.004 level of salt (what I currently keep my brackish tank at) is only about 1.3 tbsp per gallon.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Temperature during ich treatment is debated, but I wouldn't go too much over 80-82. Most fish handle warmer temps okay, but it does induce stress in some - and while it causes the parasite's lifecycle to go faster, it doesn't actually kill most strains of ich until you get into water that's far too hot for fish to live in anyway. Makes for a faster treatment, but if it stresses your fish out anyway, it's not worth it IMO.

2 tbsp of salt per gallon is a lot - wayyyyyy more than you need. I've always found 1 tbsp per 2 gallons to be a good starting place, with 1 tbsp per gallon being an extreme dose. I imagine 2 tbsp per gallon would probably be getting into dangerous territory.

This is a "test" that I did with my brackish tank. I used marine salt (since it was gonna be brackish anyway), but I've used marine salt to treat freshwater fish for ich before with success. I've got some in my QT right now, actually.

Freshwater Ich's Tolerance to Marine Salt | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 488909

For reference, that 1.004 level of salt (what I currently keep my brackish tank at) is only about 1.3 tbsp per gallon.
I really appreciate your detailed reply :)

I actually meant to write 1 tbsp per 2 gallon! My bad, that would definitely be too much.
I think I will stick with a temp of about 80F and keep a close eye on them.

Hopefully by staying really on top of it these little guys will make it through, I’m glad I seem to have caught it fairly early.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Hello again :),

Does anyone know how long it’s best to continue salt treatment after the last visible signs of disease?

By the morning of the 3rd day the spots where gone. We are on day 9 of treatment and no signs of ich have reappeared (YAY!)

The fish seem to be tolerating treatment well but I don’t want to keep salt in the water longer than I have to.

To recap:

I noticed a few ich spots on each of my SAE in quarantine.

I raised the temp of their tank to 80f and started treatment with aquarium salt at 1tbsp per 2 gallons. I have been doing daily 50% water changes and vacuum the bottom of the tank each time.

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

I usually do 14 days.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

I usually do 14 days.
Great, I’ll keep it up for a bit longer. Thank you!

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, I wouldn't worry too much about SAE's in warm water(84 plus) for a short 14 day or so period. I believe 86 ssinit and/or jkkgron2 keeps\kept them with Discus.

If that is all you're feeding them I would suggest adding some protein to their diet. They are omnivorous so a more balanced diet is a must.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

Hi, I wouldn't worry too much about SAE's in warm water(84 plus) for a short 14 day or so period. I believe 86 ssinit and/or jkkgron2 keeps\kept them with Discus.

If that is all you're feeding them I would suggest adding some protein to their diet. They are omnivorous so a more balanced diet is a must.
Thanks for the reply,

Thats good to know about them tolerating higher temps!

I have started adding some rephashy bottom scratcher to their mix as well so hopefully they’re getting enough protein. They have started growing a bit since the ich has retreated so I guess that’s good. They’re very fun fish to have I’m so glad I finally found some.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SavTheArtist
Replies
Views
Airlie
Replies
Views
Nes
Replies