Need Advice (sick Bettas)

luckdown
Just got in a batch of rescues. They have swim bladder disease. Messed up spines. A lot of missing scales. And some look like toothpicks. What do I treat first?

InsanityShard
The messed up spine can be easy to treat depending on causes, and I'd say the swim bladder disease first. Then the scales. The spines, if not related to the bladder problem, should be fixed with proper nutrition and light- I know baby fish and others can develp bent spines from no light. The ones that look like toothpicks I have no idea about though.

luckdown
I forgot to mention a few look like they have fungus.

Yeah okay. I'm just scared of starving the poor dears.

On the plus side most of these guys look to be about 1 to 4 months old with only one possibly being 6 months or older

luckdown
So these guys can't really swim at all. They barely move. I have to have the water levels extremely shallow so they can reach the surface to breathe.

Some have eaten their piece of pea others haven't. I've given everyone one pellet yesterday and today and no one is touching it. Quite possibly because they would have to swim to get it xP

WanhiBetta
Could you show us pictures? Would be easier to help

luckdown
Okay got some pictures. The crazy skinny ones have fattened up and look pretty close to the others now. They're basically the only ones that really ate. I'm suspicious that they got better so quickly but okay.

The ones that are shaped like an L are not just resting like that. They swim while maintaining that L shape and it's really hard for them to move.

My camera sucks so it was impossible take pictures of the fungus and missing scales on all of them so I took pictures of the ones who look the worst and even then you can't really tell.

The extra white spots and the grey black speckles are what I'm talking about. And no its not just markings. The white is raised and the dark spots are indented.

I couldn't get a picture of the worst ones face with missing scales but he's missing about half the scales on his face. Most of the missing scales for all of them are in the face but they are missing scales throughout their entire bodies.

Attachments

• DSC_1446.JPG
    DSC_1446.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_1447.JPG
    DSC_1447.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_1448.JPG
    DSC_1448.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_1449.JPG
    DSC_1449.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_1450.JPG
    DSC_1450.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_1451.JPG
    DSC_1451.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_1452.JPG
    DSC_1452.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_1453.JPG
    DSC_1453.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_1454.JPG
    DSC_1454.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_1455.JPG
    DSC_1455.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 122
luckdown
Had to post s in two messages sorry!

There's 13 fish in total. Yes I know these containers are small - they can't swim. Yes I know I need to separate the two small brothers. I tried and they both became extremely depressed (even though their jars were right next to each other) and honestly looked like they were about to give up and die. The second I put them back together they became active again and snuggled and refused to leave each other. For their best chance I think it's smart to keep them together for now.

Upon closer examination some of them have torn fins and find with pinholes in them as well

Attachments

• DSC_1456.JPG
    DSC_1456.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_1456.JPG
    DSC_1456.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_1457.JPG
    DSC_1457.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_1458.JPG
    DSC_1458.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_1459.JPG
    DSC_1459.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_1460.JPG
    DSC_1460.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 97
WanhiBetta
Obviously, the best you can do is put them each in their own little aquarium with filter and heater. Pristine water is really important for fish in bad shape.

For their body form, i'd say that they may be stunted. If they got kept in small cups for a long time, their spines developed like that.

The ones with the missing scales don't look too bad. I have myself a rescue that looks like that and if the water stay clean there's no problem.

you can treat the ones with fungus with API fungus cure.

luckdown
Obviously, the best you can do is put them each in their own little aquarium with filter and heater. Pristine water is really important for fish in bad shape.

For their body form, i'd say that they may be stunted. If they got kept in small cups for a long time, their spines developed like that.

The ones with the missing scales don't look too bad. I have myself a rescue that looks like that and if the water stay clean there's no problem.

you can treat the ones with fungus with API fungus cure.
Yeah I do have tanks set up for them but they couldn't even handle these jars filled up and they can barely move to get their food in these jars. I'm gonna wait a bit to move them until they can move.

They actually came from sorority grow out tanks.

Well here's to hoping I can get them in better condition. I do daily / every other day partial water changes so I'm not worried about their water not being clean.

I'm gonna give them until I get home from work tonight before I begin their medicine.

WanhiBetta
I understand the problem that tank may be too big. But their water must be really cold for them and ammonia is the worst. As soon as you think they'll be okay to swim a bit, transfer them to the tanks.

luckdown
My room is heated. Their water is 78 degrees on most days but the past couple days it's been 79

mg13
Well hello there. I think it's crazy that you got so many Bettas. Glad you're trying to get them better!
Like already mentioned, clean water and healthy food should be the core in their aquariums. I agree that they are probably cold (even with a heated room). If you are worried about their not being able to reach the surface to breath you could plant it heavily for lots of resting places near the surface. But if you've made up your mind then really there's no reason to keep telling you you should move them.

Anyway, I hope they get better. What are you planning to do with them when they are all better?

luckdown
They will be moved once they can actually move. Good idea for the plants though I'll be sure to do that. I feel like I should mentioned I have tried putting them into the tanks as well. They were having an extremely hard time. I did not try the plant thing though cuz I currently don't have any though should be getting some in soon so once I do I'll try again and see if it's any better

5 of them have homes already once they're doing better. A couple I may end up keeping and I'm going to find homes for the rest.

I was not planning on taking this many in but xP oh well. Hopefully they can have better lives now.

2006fuzz
So, as far as containers. If the water itself is testing in at 78 degrees, even without heaters, the water is a good tempt and the fish don't care how their water got heated Be sure to keep it clean and start cycling the tanks now so they'll be ready when all your friends are good to go. I would try to slowly increase the water level in their jars. Bent spines is often due to cramped spaces as they grow, so the sooner they have the "room" to straighten out the better it'll be for them.

Buganjimo
Do you have any containers that have more area on the bottom? I’d think that would help straighten out their spines.

luckdown
So, as far as containers. If the water itself is testing in at 78 degrees, even without heaters, the water is a good tempt and the fish don't care how their water got heated Be sure to keep it clean and start cycling the tanks now so they'll be ready when all your friends are good to go. I would try to slowly increase the water level in their jars. Bent spines is often due to cramped spaces as they grow, so the sooner they have the "room" to straighten out the better it'll be for them.
Will do!

Do you have any containers that have more area on the bottom? I’d think that would help straighten out their spines.

Hmmm actually I think I do. I'll go digging once I get home. I'm sure I have something. All shallow stuff but that would work for these guys

Buganjimo
Ya, I think the floor space would straighten they’re spines more than the squarish ones that you have them in atm.

luckdown
Yeah good call. I put them into something with more surface area but shallow and They spent a few minutes kinda hopping around exploring and have now tired themselves out and they're resting.

I was originally was only using the jars to get them changed out from the bag water into fresh water (I just find it easier to do using the jars) then didn't know what to do cuz they couldn't handle lots of water.

Idk why I didn't think to increase their water by simply giving them more surface area and keeping the water shallow. I think I was panicking too much.

Some good news. Oddly enough their colors are already starting to pick up a bit. The fins on the Platinum golds are starting to look a bit gold now. Not by a huge amount but you can slightly tell.

Buganjimo
Yay, that's good! It’s okay you didn’t think of that, it’s hard to think straight when you’re stressed lol, that's where fishlore comes in. I’m glad the bettas look better, how’s the one with fungus?

luckdown
Yay, that's good! It’s okay you didn’t think of that, it’s hard to think straight when you’re stressed lol, that's where fishlore comes in. I’m glad the bettas look better, how’s the one with fungus?
I just started treatment last night. Don't look any better yet. A good majority of them seem to have fungus he's b just the worst.

No one's pooped yet so I'm still worried about that and half freaking out about omg what if ontop of all this they poop and it turns out they have parasites too.

Buganjimo
That's okay, if they have parasites, you’ll treat them. But at this point, you don’t know that. Have you been feeding them/are they eating the food? (Also what food is it?)

luckdown
Day 1: half a pea (everyone ate) & 1 pellet (half ate) both presoaked in garlic.

Day 2: 1 pellet (no one touched), tried again later - 1 pellet presoaked in garlic (no one touched), tried again just before bed - tiny pinch of handmade food which has a ton of different things including peas and garlic + garlic water (half ate)

I've been told they all eat pellets and we're eating fine. But I don't really believe this due to how skinny they are... I mean it could be my 17 personal bettas are all fat (I know one is cuz I'm almost positive I somehow ended up with a female giant) but I doubt it

Just getting up to feed everyone and clean tanks now (so late oh no) I'll update with what I try and if anyone eats

Buganjimo
You should try soaking their foor in vitachem too, its just vitamins and I think it would help your guys get some of their strength back. My guys loooove it.

luckdown
Ooo lll have to pick some of that up!

Okay cleaning tanks right now. One pooped, it was black.

And another.... Um... This odd black bag with a transparent face was there with it... It must of came from inside of this fish cuz I have no idea where else it could of came from. I also have absolutely no clue what it is and of course my camera can't capture it properly ugh. It also seems to have a tiny transparent tail. I have not seen it move... Should I keep it to investigate?

To be honest it looks like a fry that's stuck inside of a ball almost

Also it did come from one of the confirmed females... Hmmm

Attachments

• DSC_1466.JPG
    DSC_1466.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_1467.JPG
    DSC_1467.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 86
Buganjimo
I have absolutely no clue what it is. I’d just monitor her, idk what that would be. Keep it maybe? I’m stumped.

luckdown
I have absolutely no clue what it is. I’d just monitor her, idk what that would be. Keep it maybe? I’m stumped.
Maybe it's just a really weird looking poop? But I swear this thing has a face :I

I'll keep it but it hasn't moved at all. Whatever it is I don't think it's living

Okay I tried brine shrimp and bloodworms soaked in garlic. 1/4 of them ate. So trying the homemade food again. So far only one is interested xP

If no one touches anything before I go to work I'll crush up some pellets and try that again?

Kinda running out of food to try xP they really only seem to want to eat peas

Buganjimo
Have you tried daphnia? If they’re bloated or blocked or anything that’ll help them poop, then you could see if they have parasites. I wouldn’t worry too much, bettas can go up to a week without food. Is there any that haven’t eaten anything since you got them?

luckdown
I think 3 haven't touched anything at all while 2 barely touched anything. I have not tried that yet. But I also don't have any lol

One of the girls is worrying me a bit. I thought she was dead for a few seconds. Her eyes look half shut it's weird

Buganjimo
I don't know, have you tried indian almond leaves? I find that really helps bettas. You can buy a 10 pack of them on amazon and they’re massive, you can split them between the bowls.

luckdown
I have not! I actually don't really know anything about that. I will look into that

luckdown
So a little frustrated. No one ate yesterday or today. No one's pooped yet. They started doing a tiny bit better with swimming so I added in a small amount of water. Had to remove it cuz they couldn't handle it. They seemed so stressed out by the fact they had to swim ever so slightly to get air instead of just lifting their head up a bit.

But their color has been improving very slightly everyday. The platinums are starting to develop really nice gold fins and their bodies are starting to look almost pearl like with pink and gold. I can now very easily tell the difference between the blues and the grey coppers.

Some are even starting to rest with their backs straighter than before! They're all still messed up but it looks like they're starting to work on it.

They are starting to get excited in the morning like everyone else when its time to eat even though they're not eating. And they get excited when I come home from work. But they exhaust themselves really quickly and just can't seem to move much outside of that.

I thought one of the girls was a goner but she made it through the night and is starting to perk up. I kinda think she was just having a really hard time with the sbd and just couldn't do it for a bit.

I'm trying to get more information from the person I got them from but every time they give me any information about these guys they tell me something different.

They went from. Oh yeah these guys will eat anything! To. Oh yeah no they only eat this one brand (which happens to be extremely expensive and I can't really afford it but if I knew for a fact they would actually eat it I'd figure it out and buy it for them to ensure their health). So I really don't know. I don't know why I expected an honest answer when I should of already known they change their answer every message considering what I've already gone through while dealing with them.

I feel like I'm failing these guys =\ I just really wanted to help them out but I can't even get them to eat xP

And just so you know I'm doing pwc daily. Sucking out uneaten food about an hour after I try feeding them. I'm keeping track of the water levels with my master kit. The water isn't the problem right now though it is more shallow than I really want it to be. I know their current containers aren't ideal but even if I put them in the tanks I wouldn't be able to turn the filters on anyways while keeping the water at a level they can manage.

Short of throwing plants in there and forcing them to suck it up so they can have filters I really don't know what to do.

I don't even know how these guys are managing to put on a bit of weight while not eating xP

Their progress is such a mix of doing better, staying the same, and getting worse all at the same time I just don't understand

mg13
Just keep doing what your doing. There's not anything else you can do. You can fail them because you're doing everything you can. The rest is up to them.

luckdown
Just keep doing what your doing. There's not anything else you can do. You can fail them because you're doing everything you can. The rest is up to them.
Thank you. I really needed to hear that <3

Galathiel
One thing you could do for qt'ing is use plastic storage boxes/containers. I know that shoebox size containers come bundled fairly inexpensively at Walmart and would probably give them each a bit more water to stretch out without it being deep. I used a plastic storage box a lot when I would bring my work betta home for holidays and he enjoyed it. It held about 2 gallons but was wide and shallow and had a lot of surface area. It was large enough to hold his heater and I just turned silk plants on their side for him to enjoy.

luckdown
One thing you could do for qt'ing is use plastic storage boxes/containers. I know that shoebox size containers come bundled fairly inexpensively at Walmart and would probably give them each a bit more water to stretch out without it being deep. I used a plastic storage box a lot when I would bring my work betta home for holidays and he enjoyed it. It held about 2 gallons but was wide and shallow and had a lot of surface area. It was large enough to hold his heater and I just turned silk plants on their side for him to enjoy.

Ooo that's a good idea. Once they can actually handle having more room if they still can't handle deep water I'll go get that for them instead of using the tanks I have for them (they have less surface area and more depth)

My brother's gf was trying to help me figure out what more I could do and she made a realization. All of my other bettas have a piece of wandering jew in their tanks and I had a fresh batch of rooting cuttings in the bathroom window.

So we gave everyone their own piece of wandering jew. Some don't care at all. The rest LOVE their new plant buddy and have snuggled up next to it. One of the females even got so excited she perked up to swim super fast around it then went back to sleep in the roots

Don't know how much this can help but we will see. They are at the very least excited about this.

She just suggested trying to feed them the first bites food and omg some ate a little!

Attachments

• DSC_1479.JPG
    DSC_1479.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_1478.JPG
    DSC_1478.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_1476.JPG
    DSC_1476.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_1473.JPG
    DSC_1473.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_1474.JPG
    DSC_1474.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 79
Buganjimo
I’m so happy you’re bettas are doing better! Have you tried the minI bloodworms soaked in garlic gaurd? I’d think that’d be hard to pass up.

luckdown
I’m so happy you’re bettas are doing better! Have you tried the minI bloodworms soaked in garlic gaurd? I’d think that’d be hard to pass up.
I have tried bloodworms soaked in garlic but I don't have minI ones. Should I try breaking them into smaller pieces?

Also oh no. I've been so focused on these guys I only just noticed my panda platy who looked like she should be giving birth this week has vanished I can't even find a dead body

Buganjimo
You could try to break them down to make them a more reasonable size. The hardest part of sick fish is probabaly dividing your attention. I hope you find your platy!

luckdown
You could try to break them down to make them a more reasonable size. The hardest part of sick fish is probabaly dividing your attention. I hope you find your platy!

Okay I'll try that next time it's bloodworm day for everyone... Oh wait that's tomorrow LOL

Omg yeah lol I'm a little bit guilty of not spending as much time with the rest of my fish just cuz I know they're all healthy and fine xP

I hope she's just hiding out cuz about to give birth and she didn't die on me. I mean the one that gave birth last kinda kept herself hidden for a week around when she gave birth and a bit after that.

Buganjimo
Hopefully, fingers crossed. She might be trying to find a safe place to have her babies, I know cats+dogs do that so maybe fish are the same lol.

Top Bottom