Status
Not open for further replies.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi All,

Here is what i am thinking ...currently my tank is running empty with reading 0,0,10.
option #1

2 Male Guppy (reason for no females is no breeding)
5 neon Tetras (or may be mix of different tetras- again no breeding so possible all Males)
1 Platy (male)

Option #2

5 Platys

is it overstocked idea ? i am ready to do water change every 3 days or once a week is fine ,

Please suggest

Last edited:

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
be sure you are adding ammonia to feed the bacteria while your tank is empty, that way you dont lose your cycle

option one could be good, its a bit on the heavy side though, I would definitely lose the platy and maybe stick with just one male guppy, with two you run the risk of fighting and of course the increased bioload.

option two Im not so sure about, 5 platy's is a bit much IMO, platys are active fish and interact quite a bit with each other, usually not it a good way. Then adding a male guppy to the mix might also complicate things.

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes i am adding ammonia .. following that ..

okay what if i go with 4 platys and No guppy ...would that sounds good ?

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think even four platys would be pushing it in a 10g. It's not only the bioload but also swimming space. My platys use every inch of the 20g and I think they'd feel pretty cramped in a 10g.

I'm leaning toward option one but without the guppies. You don't really have to worry about the tetras breeding, or I should say having fry survive. Eggs get eaten and so do fry after they hatch.

You could add 12 dwarf shrimp like cherry red shrimp to have something going on on the bottom of the tank. And maybe a nice nerite snail (unable to breed in freshwater).

-Lisa

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
okay so if at all i keep guppies like may be 2 male and 4 female ...do you think fry will survive and i will have lot of babies and issues ? coz more than tetras i really like guppies as they are more colorful and fun to watch fish ... please suggest if 2 male and 4 female is good and i shouldnt have any problem with fry or breeding .

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Livebearers should be kept in a ratio of 2-3 females for every male so 4F/2M will work. They are very prolific breeders and have a lot of fry at once so you will quickly be overwhelmed with fry, even if you do nothing to protect them.

You could try the two male guppies without any females but have a backup plan in case of aggression. Add in 5 neon tetras and I think you'll be ok.

-Lisa

parvataneni

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That sounds good ... may be i should give a try and if guppy are aggressive then i will return one of them.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have 2 neon's in my 10 gallon and they are great with eachother. They harass a specific platy of mine to no end though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom