Need Advice On Stocking A 10g Tank 10 Gallon Tank

1. Jayhawk29 Initiate Member

Hello,

I have a 10g tank and I would love some advice on how to stock it and whether or not my idea for it works or is too much. What I currently have is 6 neon tetras and 1 platy (I think it is called a red Dalmatian platy). I would love to add 1 dwarf gourami to the tank and 3 ghost shrimps. I would love to hear back if this would work. If not, is there anything else that I can add?

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

No on the Gourami. You're close to full already. I would get 2 more Platies and 3 Ghost Shrimp.

3. Demeter Well Known Member Member

Most species schooling fish (the tetras and platy) need larger tanks to accommodate their need of swimming space and multiple friends to form a school. So I suggest not getting anything until you've sorted that out. You simple can't have several species in a tank so small, if you want to upgrade to something like a 29gal then adding a dwarf gourami and even a few more neons and platties would be no problem.

I personally would prefer to keep a dwarf gourami in a larger tank, say 15+, but provided there's plenty of plants and no other fish except maybe some shrimp (note that many gourami will eat shrimp) then a 10gal should be fine.

4. Jayhawk29 Initiate Member

ok, I can pass on the gourami then. But as far as adding more platies goes.. I thought they have a pretty high bioload? Also, I used to have 2 in there but had to take one back because it was bullying the other. Would like to prevent that issue from happening again.

5. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

What are the dimensions?

6. goplecos Well Known Member Member

In my experience plates get stressed unless they school. You really do need a bigger tank for the tetras but the platy should have friends too. What sex is the platy.

7. Cory & the Catz Member Member

If you want a gourami then your best bet may be to remove the fish you currently have and get a betta instead, or just the gourami and a snail. If you plan on keeping most of what you have id say just keep the neons and maybe add the shrimp with them.

8. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Gouramis do best in pairs, and need 20+ gallons

9. Jayhawk29 Initiate Member

Thank you so much, everyone, for the replies. My tank's dimensions are 20" x 10" x 12."
    The platy I have is a male.
    I'm just antsy to have as beautiful of a tank as possible. I can't help it :D

10. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Then the dwarf gourami and neon tetra won't work. You can add something like celestial pearl danios with your platy?

11. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

No that's not true. Dwarf gourami don't do well in pairs. If you get male and females even then it's best to have two females for every one male. Female dwarf gourmi are hard to find though, and males shouldn't be together in the same tank due to aggression issues. I do agree they need a twenty gallons or larger. Now other gourami that might do okay in pairs is honey gourami, and pearly gourami and sparkling gourami need a schooling group.

As for the OP I would fix your stocking issues by rehoming the neon tetras (they need 20 gallons or more due to their activity level). I'm not sure on platys.

12. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I always kept gouramis in schools but everyone always told me that was wrong lol.

13. Jayhawk29 Initiate Member

So what's everyone's final answers? Considering I currently do have 6 neons and 1 platy in a 10g. I've gathered nearly unanimous answers from many different sources that neons are fine to be in a 10g. Any fish I can add here without overstocking?

14. goplecos Well Known Member Member

No, but you could have shrimp. I would consider rehoming the platy.

15. Cory & the Catz Member Member

I have two DG's together in my community tank they are both males and seem to get along fairly well, however in a 10 gallon i imagine they would likely fight over space and likely kill eachother although i feel one by itself would do alright in a 10 but thats just me trying to find a solution for OP. But DG's in pairs is something i don't see suggested often

It's clearly up to you and you sound like you will do what you are going to do regardless of what we say. If you want to keep the neons keep just the neons and give up the platy, if you want you could do a nice betta setup but you'd have to get rid of everything else.

16. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

It may depend on the type of gourmi, the sex, and tank size.

As I said earlier I can not give you more fish to add since in my opinion your overstocked with the neon tetras.

17. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I kept chocolate Gouramis in a 55 gallon

18. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Neons are too active to be in a 10 gallon.

How about this:

8x celestial pearl danios
    2x platies
    1x nerite snails

19. goplecos Well Known Member Member

That would work but I don't think the OP wants to remove the neons. So it would not be ideal but OP could remove the Platy and don't add anything else.

20. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

An alternative stocking idea for you
    1 Platy (fine alone, these are not schooling fish)
    2 Sparkling gouramis
    6 Amano shrimp
    1 Nerite snail