Need advice on my Oscars/JD

1. brennan2010 Initiate Member

I currently have a 90 gallon tank with 2 large oscars between 7-9 inches long. The 90 also has a big pleco thats about the same size. I also have a 35 gallon with a Jack Dempsey about 3-3.5 inches long and a Sun Catfish thats about the same size. I was wondering when it would be smart to put the JD and the Catfish in with the oscars because I dont wanna lose any of them. The JD lived with my RB Piranhas before and is very aggresive but I know how oscars are and wont chance it. Thanx!

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

That would be a very overstocked tank IMO

3. brennan2010 Initiate Member

I plan on upgrading to around a 135-150 gallon when these guys get bigger.

4. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

They need a 150 gal. now, my Oscars are only about 5 in. and I already upgraded them to my 150. It's very easy to stunt their growth

5. brennan2010 Initiate Member

Ok thanks for the advice. Do have any info on how fast oscars reach their max size if not stunted?

6. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Usually reach about 8 in. within the first year, it will slow down after that

7. brennan2010 Initiate Member

Yea mine are about a year and a half and between 7-9 inches. They were bought at the same size but the red is growin faster than the tiger and rules the tank.

8. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

My tiger is a wimp, we'd love pics!

9. brennan2010 Initiate Member

Il post pics as soon as i get the chance. Currently my software for that is down.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!! cant wait to see pics either :)

11. steve_58 Member Member

Oscars grow fast the first yr and after that they're grow slows.Over the many years keeping oscars i found that with proper water and tank conditions they are usually reaching max size around 5-6 yrs. Mine grew to around 9" at 1 yr old and then at 5 yrs old was 12" and that was in a 75 gallon tank along with a chocolate cichlid.In my oppinion 2 oscars and a big pleco in the 90 is just right and i would'nt add anything else.