Need advice on my goldfish tank

Goldfishknees

New Member
Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
4
Ok so these 2 oranda goldfish were in my neighbors pond with 4 other fish the didn't quarantine their fish and brought I some illness which killed the other fish I saw the two live ones and said they needed treated they said they couldn't so I took the fish and treated with super ick cure, general cure, and erythromycin in a 29 gallon tank with a marineland 350 biowheel buy I couldn't cycle the aquarium because it was a sudden decision I upgraded them to a 55 gallon with the marineland filter and a tetra 60 gallon filter which made the gph about 580 but I'm having a problem doing the fish in cycle I have been testing the water twice a day for about a week and water change anytime the ammonia gets past 0.50 ppm so basically a 50 per day is there any way I can make the cycle process start faster I have 3 other tanks and I've put one of those tanks filter cartridges and some water in the 55 the tank I narrowed from had nitrite and nitrate I have been doing what I know from looking on the internet I haven't kept goldfish before just Bettas in a 5.5 a 6.5 and a 20 long can anyone give me any advice I'm afraid the water changes are stressing my goldfish out and I've tried to find someone who could take them but nobody can and I refuse to release them because just NO.
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,310
Reaction score
1,716
Location
Manitoba, Canada
Experience
1 year
If you have already added media from another established tank, I can't think of anything to speed it up, but do know of something that would help.
I would get some Seachem Prime and dose the tank with it to help your fish through the cycling process.
Seachem Prime detoxifies ammonia, it doesn't get rid of it (you will still get ammonia readings), but makes safe for you fish so you don't have to do water changes so often to keep them alive.
Hope this helped.

@mattgirl
@StarGirl
Any thoughts?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
G

Goldfishknees

New Member
Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
4
AquaticQueen said:
If you have already added media from another established tank, I can't think of anything to speed it up, but do know of something that would help.
I would get some Seachem Prime and dose the tank with it to help your fish through the cycling process.
Seachem Prime detoxifies ammonia, it doesn't get rid of it (you will still get ammonia readings), but makes safe for you fish.
Hope this helped.
Will I still have to do the 50 percent water changes even with the seachem because I know it just turns it into a less toxic chemical and how do I know when to change the water if it always registers with higher ammonia
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,310
Reaction score
1,716
Location
Manitoba, Canada
Experience
1 year
Goldfishknees said:
Will I still have to do the 50 percent water changes even with the seachem because I know it just turns it into a less toxic chemical and how do I know when to change the water if it always registers with higher ammonia
What are all your tank water readings?
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,310
Reaction score
1,716
Location
Manitoba, Canada
Experience
1 year
Goldfishknees said:
I'll go ahead and test now but usually 0 nitrate and nitrite and .50 ppm ammonia with 6.8 ph
From the sounds of it, you're still early in the cycle. I would stop doing water changes until the ammonia starts turning into nitrites. Once it turns into nitrites, you can do water changes when your levels get high.

I might be wrong though.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
G

Goldfishknees

New Member
Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
4
AquaticQueen said:
From the sounds of it, you're still early in the cycle. I would stop doing water changes until the ammonia starts turning into nitrites. Once it turns into nitrites, you can do water changes when your levels get high.

I might be wrong though.
6.0 ph
0.50 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
0ppm nitrate
And if I leave it will it hurt my two goldfish I have no other tank to put them in
 

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,310
Reaction score
1,716
Location
Manitoba, Canada
Experience
1 year
Goldfishknees said:
6.0 ph
0.50 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
0ppm nitrate
And if I leave it will it hurt my two goldfish I have no other tank to put them in
If you dose with Seachem Prime it won't hurt them.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
197
Guests online
2,990
Total visitors
3,187

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom