Need advice on molly fry

hop2jr
Long storie short gave a 10 gal tank 2 my gf son run for 2 week before they added fish didn't know about cycling. We went 2 store she bought 7 fish 4-guppies 2-something else and 1-molley told her 4 anyway. They took to the tank great and 2 days later the molley had 28 kids thanks petsmart @%$#@!!%!!!lol I had just started a 29gal tank of my own 1 week into cycling. We took the fry and put them in that tank. had 24-2 died filter accident lol still have 22 which full grown is way 2 many for that tank. right now my ammonia is 1.0 and nitrites are 0.1 is this good? ph is high right now about 7.8 and Temp between 75 and 78? good start or not? also what fish can I add to eat some of the little suckers and still be cool in a peaceful type tank?

Cody
you tank is cycling your at the end of you ammonia cycle and the beggining of you nitrite, then the nitrite goes up and down then you have nitrate and you ready.
you ten gallon is overstocked, do you plan on putting some of the fish in the 29 gallon? you sould tank the molly and something else out or the gupppies out.
well as far as something eating the babys you will proubably lose a few during the cycling process and normally they all don't make it. I wouldnt spend you money getting somting to eat the babies because it prouably won't pay out the way you would think so, and since the tank isn't fully cycled you would proubably lose the fish anyways, not garenteed. do you have a fishstore around you that would take some of the babies or all of them, depends on what you want to do. petsmarts don't normlay take them. you wil need to raise them abbit normly they want them to be at least a inch, guppies normally a inch and colored up if you ever breed them. other wise good luck and ?

hop2jr
Thanks make me feel alittle better about what stage of the cycle I'm in. I know women don't lesson when you tell them to start with a couple I was thinking 5 total but let her learn I guess I just knew she'd be in in a a pickle if she tryed to keep them all. If they die they where free well see what happens. how long do you think it will be before I can add some cordy cats and pleco for cleaning the bottom of the tank?

COBettaCouple
Welcome to Fishlore.

Cody
if you talking about the tank with the fry in it. I would wait until the tank is cylced, cories can be sensitive. and for the plece, I would stay with some of the smaller verity, or get an otto. and you want some algae to start growing also and it would be good to get some algae waffers, and if your pleco doesn't really care for the waffers, the mollys would love them. the babies might not touch them as much but as they get older this will destroy them... will have some good profiles and picutures for you to get a sense of what kind of cories , or a pleco you could get. and the prices on there are proubably going to be different from the ones at that store, sometimes better and worse. . ask any questoins you need to

hop2jr
Tahst what I was thinking Cody the pleco I was thinking about is the stingray they said at the store that they get 3" and thought 1 for the 10gal with 2 albino corys and get rid of the moley for now put it in the 29 gal with the fry. Most of the fry are about 1/2" and getting fat was going to add 2 stingray pleco and 2 or 3 corys haven't decided what kind yet.But I bought a API Master test kit and the Amnonia read 4.0 and Nitrite were 0.50 nitrate were 5.0 so I did the gravel suck and about 10% water change addind Prime to the water as I added it and the levels did change what do you think?

Cody
its proubably not a true stingray, its proubably a freshwater flounder, a real stingray would be really expensive and and would get much bigger then that

hop2jr
No not a fresh water stingray this was a pleco but it was fat fat and yellow and black on top but looked like a snail when sucking the side glass. and they where $16 bucks each only about 1"-1 1/2"

Cody

is this what it looks like

swords3711
ammonia is a little high. Once the cycle goes through you'll be fine though. It has only just begun unfortunately. Mollie fry are extremely hardy and they will just keep reproducing

hop2jr
Finaly ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20 doing water change tonight time to buy some fish does anyone have a good idea for top to middle of tank fish!

COBettaCouple
:kewlpics: They're such cute little ones.

corylover
wow they are cute. I have a black molly fry, just one. its mother is a sunburst molly so dad must have been black. its 4 days old now.

hop2jr
Still have 6 out of 24. Don't worry a friend went on vaction and when he got back his houses attic door can open the house was 60 degrees and all his fish were dead but a gold fish. so I give him 14 fry the gold fish is huge looks like an orange pearch 4" well 8 are still running ducking and weavin. give 4 to another friend with smaller fish doing great.

finmama
cute fry, they look a lot like mine who are dalmatian/white mollies

hop2jr
Thanks they started out really whit now 2 of them look like the turning amber/orange well see in a few weeks what they end up being.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Poll
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
WishNixie
Top Bottom