Need Advice On How To Cycle. Tap Water Has Ammonia And High Ph

CrazyPeekles

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just set up my 110g tank and after putting the water in, I used the API liquid master kit to test for PH and ammonia and it turns out the PH is already at around 8.0 and the ammonia is at around 1ppm.

I planned to use Tetra safestart plus after waiting 24 hours for the Seachem Prime to dissapate, but am unsure. I saw the how to guide on it and it said to create a new thread if my ammonia parameters are not zero.

Thank you!

CrazyPeekles

Reaction score
Duardo said:
i suggest a water change and the water that youre adding in treat it with the Prime
Technically will the water change do anything? My tap water already contains the ammonia and changing the water will just give me the same level of ammonia. The water in the tank has just been added and already treated with prime.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It wouldn't hurt to retest your tap water after a day or two, because I have had situations where my water quality went really bad for a day or two and then recovered.

I would hit it with a pH buffer till it comes down around 7.5 and then wait a day and hit it with the bottled bacteria.

Keep the temperature around 84 degrees, and when that ammonia in the water disappears, add a little more everyday and start looking for nitrites.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom