Need Advice On Getting My Gh And Kh To The Right Levels

Over It

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have been mixing it in a bucket of water first, like you recommended before. Unfortunately it seems the more you add the longer it takes for the cloudiness to go away.
I wish I could use Replenish instead.
I think I'm getting better at judging the correct amounts to add. The Alkaline Buffer is a lot easier than the Equilibrium, but I think I'm getting there. The thing I think is the biggest problem is the little hard chunks of the Equilibrium taking so long to dissolve. I try to add less with the chunks, but as I found out sometimes it still goes higher than expected once the chunks finally dissolve. I guess it's just gonna be some trial and error and I'll just do my best to not stress my fish too much.
I had never heard of one of those. I will definitely be getting one! Thank you! That would be sooo much easier.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They don't break out GH/KH for you but once you have them where you want and know what that TDS is then you can a quick 2 second TDS test anytime to see if you're in the ballpark.

You can switch to Replenish. I have a planted tank and my plants grow like you wouldn't believe.

Over It

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That would be great! This Equilibrium is driving me nuts TBH. I should have 2 more bottles of Equilibrium arriving today. I think I'll send those back and get Replenish instead.
Wow it's so much cheaper too! I'm just gonna order it so I can use it for my next water changes on Wednesday.

Also just because I want to make sure I get this perfect this time. When adding the Replenish I plan on mixing it into a 2.5 gal. bucket of water. Should I just add enough to get the water in the bucket to the right GH level to start with or mix in the amount I think the whole tank needs?
I hope that makes sense... :/
Sorry one last question. Does Replenish have an expiration date? I'm thinking of ordering 4 500ml. bottles since they are so cheap right now, but I don't want them to go bad before I could use them all.

super proud of myself with this last water change. I did the 5 gal. Betta tank that I didn't do yesterday and the results before the water change were Gh-9 and KH-6. After the water change the results were GH-8 and KH-7. That is exactly where I wanted the numbers to be so I'm super happy about that and now I feel like I am really getting the hang of this.
Now hopefully I don't have to start all over again with the Replenish. It does seem to be basically the same dosing as the Equilibrium, just in liquid form so it does seem like it should be easy once I get the initial dosages down.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There is no expiration date on my bottle of Replenish so you should be fine ordering more.

Yes, you just add enough in of both products for the bucket of water or the total water you will be changing out. For instance, I add 1/2 tsp alkaline buffer if I do a 4-5g water change and a capful or just under of Replenish. I think 1ml per gallon raises the GH by just under 3 degrees. It shows it on the back of the bottle.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Over It

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Finally got the Replenish today! 2 day shipping my butt. lol Anyways I did water changes on all of my tanks and so far I love the Replenish! It's so much easier than the Equilibrium and no cloudy water and filthy filter media! I do think starting with the Equilibrium helped as it was quite easy to figure out the dose for each tank for the Replenish.
Thank all so much for helping me!! I was at my wits end and now I feel so much better and confident and I can take great care of all my fishy friends.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Great! It is so much easier then using equilibrium and you're right, doesn't make a mess.

Glad you're feeling more confident.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom