How Do I Need Advice on Getting African Dwarf Frog to Eat

Belzz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently moved my sisters African dwarf frog to a tank in my room while hers is being medicated and the ADF isn't eating much. I've tried feeding her the pellets and flakes she normally eats in her tank, but they just sit on the bottom of the tank uneaten. I just got some frozen blood worms hoping she would like the treat but she was just scared of the tweezers I used to put the worm near her and ran to hide. I know she's stressed from the move but it's been thee days and she's only eaten a single little pellet and I worry.

OP
B

Belzz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SnookusFish said:
How deep is the new tank?
The water is 8.5 inches deep. It's a 10 gallon

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Is there good cover, what depth was the old tank?
The only thing I can think is that she hasnt much energy from being in a deeper thank usual tank and that's stressing her. If so either lower the water level, add some more cover or objects close the the surface and maybe just try shutting off the lights and leaving food in there.

OP
B

Belzz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SnookusFish said:
Is there good cover, what depth was the old tank?
The only thing I can think is that she hasnt much energy from being in a deeper thank usual tank and that's stressing her. If so either lower the water level, add some more cover or objects close the the surface and maybe just try shutting off the lights and leaving food in there.
The other tank was a 20 gallon that was taller so I don't think it's the height. Theres a couple clumps of moss that she's been hiding in, I have lots of hornwort in the tank with some of it floating and 2 rocks with space under to hide in but I can definitely add more. There is a lot more light so I can try shutting that off.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well at least one guess was right! Tell me if it works

emilydupree17

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I saw a lady’s post on here about how she moves her ADFs to a small shallow plastic dish at the top of the tank for feedings because her frogs were about blind and couldn’t find the food. She said it worked great for them!

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve thought my frog was dead several times because she’d go from eating daily to disappearing for days. I know she gets stuff along the bottom but geez. A few days or even a week isn’t terribly long if they were well fed before hand. And stress/change is an easy thing for them to disappear from.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
emilydupree17 said:
I saw a lady’s post on here about how she moves her ADFs to a small shallow plastic dish at the top of the tank for feedings because her frogs were about blind and couldn’t find the food. She said it worked great for them!
Yea that's basically what I wad thinking when I said about objects close to the surface because it makes sense but if the og tank was deeper and that couldnt be the problem... if lights dot work you could still try that tho?

emilydupree17

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SnookusFish said:
Yea that's basically what I wad thinking when I said about objects close to the surface because it makes sense but if the og tank was deeper and that couldnt be the problem... if lights dot work you could still try that tho?
Hers wasn’t due to depth, just because her frogs were slow to eat due to their bad eyesight, and all of their food was being eaten. I’d imagine if you let them stay in the container for a bit, even with the lights off, they’d definitely be able to find it and eat.

OP
B

Belzz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
emilydupree17 said:
I think the frog would hate me if I moved her around right now, she's so skittish. I'm hoping if I leave her be with the lights off she will find the 2 pellets and blood worm in there while the snails snack on their algae wafer

OP
B

Belzz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
emilydupree17 said:
Hers wasn’t due to depth, just because her frogs were slow to eat due to their bad eyesight, and all of their food was being eaten. I’d imagine if you let them stay in the container for a bit, even with the lights off, they’d definitely be able to find it and eat.
If turning off the light and leaving her be doesn't work I can definitely try this yea, I just hope it doesn't come to it because she kinda hates me right now lol

OP
B

Belzz

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So, update: she found the algae wafer that I had given to the snails and absolutely decimated the thing. There were bits of it all over and she was sitting very smug nearby it so I think I'm going to try and give wafers from now and remove the uneaten bits until I can get her less scared of the tweezers holding blood worms! Thanks for the turning off the light advice, she does seem much more comfortable. I'm gonna still be turning it on for the plants, but I'll keep it on for less time, they don't need much light anyway. I just hope she didn't hurt her face destroying the wafer!

emilydupree17

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Belzz said:
So, update: she found the algae wafer that I had given to the snails and absolutely decimated the thing. There were bits of it all over and she was sitting very smug nearby it so I think I'm going to try and give wafers from now and remove the uneaten bits until I can get her less scared of the tweezers holding blood worms! Thanks for the turning off the light advice, she does seem much more comfortable. I'm gonna still be turning it on for the plants, but I'll keep it on for less time, they don't need much light anyway. I just hope she didn't hurt her face destroying the wafer!
That’s great news! Just make sure she gets some extra protein in her soon, and she should be right back on track! :joyful:

skar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Beef heart works best ime.

New Threads