Need Advice on Dry Ferts and not using Co2 or Excel

Sheena-Phx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Alright, so I had this brilliant idea that I want to transition to dry ferts instead of the Thrive that I spend so much money on for all of my tanks(I have over a dozen planted tanks). I know NilocG has a dry line, as well as GreenLeafAquariums, and I've already looked at both. I did some reading on El and PPS, and still have no idea what I'm doing. I do not plan on using Co2, or Excel, and wanted to find out if I could still be successful with dry ferts. Which ones do I need(I have hard water as well), and what is the best dosing method since I will not be using Co2 or Excel? Is what I want even possible? Sorry, I know this has probably been asked a million times before, and I've read quite a few threads on quite a few forums, and still can't make sense of what I need. I'm too used to the all in ones, they have made me useless! Lol. Any and all advice, experiences, input, etc it appreciated, as always. Thanks so much in advance!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't made the transition to dry ferts but I believe Thrive also sells dry ones. Following to see what others experiences are wit them. I haven't dosed any of my tanks in at least a month. I normally use Regular thrive without co2 but haven't felt the need to do it as all my plants are doing quite well.

OP
Sheena-Phx

Sheena-Phx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, the makers of Thrive, NilocG, does have a line for dry ferts that I'm sure is just as great of quality as Thrive. I just don't know how to go about doing all of this. Lol.

jmaldo

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just a somewhat successful "Underwater Gardener" here.
I felt my "Planted" tank had reached a plateau. I decided to give dry ferts a try. Best decision I have made so far.
It is an older thread and closed to replies but has quite a bit of info with pics.
Just remember every tank is as different as a fingerprint.
Good Luck!

Starting Nilocg Ferts -- Underwater Gardener - | Plant Fertilizers 310321

OP
Sheena-Phx

Sheena-Phx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you for the response. I had actually already read 2 different threads on here where you talked about your experience. It has helped to clarify some things. I'm still not sure which method I should use if I have high light and no Co2 or Excel. I think people have recommended only dosing once a week for Ei, and then doing a 50 percent water change at the end of the week. What do you think? I think I have figured out which types I need, either way. Can you please verify if this is what I need to get started with either method?

Dry Fertilizers.PNG

OP
Sheena-Phx

Sheena-Phx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also read that Mgs04 is usually optional, so didn't add that. I have a lb of each in the cart now, but I see they also have a eI package option that is cheaper, but you only get a 1/2lb of everything, minus the Kno3 which is still a lb. Because I have a lot of tanks I was thinking the more the merrier, but I'm also cheap. Lol. Could I get by with the cheaper eI package for now? Not sure how much this makes, I'm so used to the all in ones I feel like I need tons. Though I know this is the exact reason why people like the dry ferts, you don't need tons. Lol.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nilocg has a dry fertilizer package that has dosing bottles and fertilizer. The bottles look like this.
15851795948707462171920527424859.jpg

The package came with these ferts.
15851796717928240263316033653819.jpg

I have been dosing eI daily macro one day micro the other. I am getting algae blooms so I'm doing two dosages of each a week.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I might try weekly eI after I use this set of mixes up. Plants definitely grow with the dry fertilizer.

OP
Sheena-Phx

Sheena-Phx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, that picture I inserted above is my cart on nilocg. Lol. I don't want to pay an extra $12 just to get the bottles though, so seeing if I can just get away with the bags I have chosen. Which looks to be about the same that you have. Though you have one extra. I can't zoom in to see what it is though.

OP
Sheena-Phx

Sheena-Phx

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, I see. You have the MgSo4, that is considered optional in most cases if I remember correctly.

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I just like mixing it up didn't want to go find 1/32 teaspoons lol

fa4960

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There are various ways to can go about this. Nilocg is no doubt a good option but although the dry ferts are cheap compared to liquid options it may not be the cheapest option for someone with many planted tanks.

If I was you I would buy the chemicals directly from e.g. Amazon where they are even cheaper as the only difference is the fancy looking packaging and a Nilocg logo. For KNO3, K2SO4 and KH2PO4 all you have to do is to calculate how much you need and rotalabutterfly.com has a brilliant calculator for that purpose. Micro mixes similar CSM+B you can easily make yourself with a digital scale and the calculator, either as dry mix or as a solution.

Since you have many tanks that probably are different sizes I would buy some brown glass bottles (4) of whatever size you prefer but not smaller than 2 liters (½ gallon) and make 4 individual solutions of KNO3, K2SO4, KH2PO4 and micros. The latter you can design exactly as you like it. The solution should be made in a way that suits your tank sizes and keeping an eye on the solutability of the chemicals, but e.g. 10 ml solution will add the required fertizer to e.g. 10 Gal of tank water.

There is a little investment up front in a scale managing micro grams, bottles (if going for solutions) plus all the chemicals but if you dose a lot it is a no-brainer in my opinion. You can view my journey in the link below.

Diy Ferts - Micro Questions

Happy to share my Excel calculation sheets, which basically are similar to the calculations done by the rotalabutterfly.com calculator.

PS: I dose CaSO4 and MgSO4 also as Dry ferts, CaSO4 mainly due to its very poor solubility but also the amount I need to dose in my large tank. These may not be needed but I would really need a measurement of my tap water to know for sure so I add them from time to time.

New Threads