Need Advice On Cycling

bob350

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got a 33 gallon tank recently and I have been cycling it with fishes for the last 8 days. Here are the test readings

Ammonia:0.25
Nitrite :0
Nitrate : 10 ~20
Ph: 8.2

I have been using seachem stability on all days so far and I have done one 20% water change. I wanted seek your advice and let me know how to go from here. Should I continue with stability until the ammonia reaches zero.

Please let me know.
Thanks in advance

bob350

Reaction score
75g Discus Tank said:
You are close. Nitrates are present so they cycle is almost there. Keep it up and you may be cycled in a week's time.

Once the ammonia goes to 0 and the nitrites stay 0 for a couple of days, you should be cycled. After that, do a 50% WC.
Thank you for responding. Sorry for asking again. Should I continue with the daily dose of stability?

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I won't hurt to use it, since you already have it. You can also add more than the recommended dosage, but it may make the tank a little cloudy for awhile.

OscarHoya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Just keep going, it takes a little more time. Don't clean out any mechanical filter material in clean water. Clean it out in water you have out of your tank (in a bucket). That way you don't lose any good bacteria.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think you just need to let it sit and do its thing. Sometimes doing nothing is a good thing.

Cycling is like cooking prime rib...you have to let it cook in the oven, if you keep opening up and poking holes into the meat you not only use the heat but your drying it out...just sit back and let it do it's thing.

bob350

Reaction score
So I did a water change yesterday and today's test revealed that my ammonia is now at 0.25 whereas nitrite is now 1 and nitrate at 40? Should I do another water change?

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
bob350 said:
So I did a water change yesterday and today's test revealed that my ammonia is now at 0.25 whereas nitrite is now 1 and nitrate at 40? Should I do another water change?
If Ammonia + nitrites > or = 1.0 do a 50% water change.
If ammonia + nitrites < 1.0 retest in 24 hours.
Both of these scenarios assume you are dosing with Prime or a similar dechlorinator.

You are so close! Nitrites will be there (perhaps for a couple of days) then as if by magic poof they are gone & you are cycled!

bob350

Reaction score
Thanks! I just did a 25% water change and yes I use prime. Hopefully this should bring down the levels. How long should I wait to take the next test?

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Nitrite can spike quickly and you only did a 25% change. I'd do another 25% and check in 24hours. Prime may not detox that much nitrite over 48 hours.

bob350

Reaction score
Because I just did a 50% yesterday and was wondering if I do back to back 50 it may harm the cycle. will it? If not I can do another 25

TexasGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Bacteria doesn't really live in the water column, it grows on surfaces that has water flow. You should be fine doing another 25%. Just keep an eye on those nitrites. With your ph, hopefully this part of the cycle will go quickly. Make sure you have good aeration, HOB waterfall, or airstone.

bob350

Reaction score
So I did another 25% wc yesterday and here is how it looks now

Ammonia - almost zero
Nitrite - 0.5~1
Nitrate 10~20

Should I just wait now?

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Water changes should not hurt your cycle. Back to back large water changes are sometimes needed to bring parameters under control.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would do another 50% change if Nitrite is at 1.0. It is very toxic, and if it keeps rising in the next 24 could cause you to loose fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom