Need advice on Cichlids

Fishgirl11

So, I have only ever had community fish except Angel fish, I have never had Cichlids. I just got a 55 gallon aquarium standard. When I set it up and cycle it I would like to get into Cichlids for the first time. I appreciate any advice. I was looking online before and see mixed reviews. My favorites are the Blood Parrot and Albino Oscar. It just so happens in my lfs today they had one of each in the same tank plus some others but I don't know what they were. I was wondering if I set my 55 up could I have one of each in there? It would be those 2 only. The ones today are young but I am allowing for full grown. I think it may be pushing it with the Oscar space wise alone. That is my dream combo but if not ok. Second choice could I keep 2 Blood Parrot in the 55? Do they fight each other or no? And also, do they like more open space or more plants, decorations? What is best suited for them? And lastly, what about a shoal of Cory cats for the bottom or would they get attacked?

Fishgirl11

Also, they all were getting along but once I saw the Blood Parrot go after one of those other fish. I think it is also some kind of Oscar. So that is a little concerning. I want peace in the tank.

Feohw

Oscars would need a larger tank than a 55 gallon long term. Blood parrots aren't my thing, but may do fine in a 55g, though I wouldn't do two personally. They won't do great with plants. Anubias and java fern tied to rocks - maybe. I'd do mainly open water with some heavy rocks they can't move about and some driftwood if it was my tank. I wouldn't risk corys, especially as if they are eaten the cichlid could choke and die too.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
chromedome52
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Debbie1986