Need advice on 25 gallon stocking

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello I have been in the hobby for about 4 years and was trying to think of some ideas for a 25 gallon fish tank I want to set up. This is kind of going to be my show tank so it needs to look pretty. (can't keep a bigger one in public area) So here are a few fish I like if you can maybe incorporate these.
1. German (or electric) blue rams
2. Discus but that might be like just one or not even big enough I am thinking so if you can think of a similar fish that would be great (btw not angels)
3. Clown loaches
4. or Albino Bristle nose plecos

I also had an idea of shell dwellers, but if I did I'd want a fish in the upper water column (a cichlid) but Again I don't think a 25 is big enough. I don't have any of the equipment yet I was thinking of waiting a little while before setting it up.

Thanks, Ryan

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
1. the Rams are the best option but really need a mature aquarium.
The rest grow far too big for a 25.
A group of 5 Honey GouramI would be my suggestion :D

OP
S

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks, Ryan

Would you suggest a pair as in a boy and a girl or 2 girls? To keep from aggression to other fish.

CichlidFreak7000

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes. Tecnically you could keep any fish that fits in a 25 gallon tank but youd need a lot of cleaning to do. I'm sure that wouldnt overstock it tho

OP
S

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Are you sure I think that might be pushing it though it would be entertaining.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think that would be a perfect stocking for a tank that size and I would leave it as is. 50% weekly water change and you are good to go

OP
S

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you think the other fish would eat the eggs of the GBR because I don't really want babies right now.

Also if I kept the rummies to 8 would I have room for an albino bristle nose. Though I do know that plecos make a lot of ammonia.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, plecos are messy fish. I’d wait to add one to see how your tank does week to week.
I don’t think you need to worry about your GBR breeding and having babies to take care of. They aren’t the easiest fish to breed.

CichlidFreak7000

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TWiG87 said:
Yes, plecos are messy fish. I’d wait to add one to see how your tank does week to week.
I don’t think you need to worry about your GBR breeding and having babies to take care of. They aren’t the easiest fish to breed.
Yes, I agree. Based on what ive heard, GBR are very hard to breed. Few people are lucky enough to have nice water fir them

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Do you think the other fish would eat the eggs of the GBR because I don't really want babies right now.
Very likely they will spawn. The rams should eat them themselves at first. Then when they learn to parent properly the fry should get eaten by other fish in community tanks. I wouldn't add a BN.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CichlidFreak7000 said:
Yes, I agree. Based on what ive heard, GBR are very hard to breed. Few people are lucky enough to have nice water fir them
That’s another discussion for coralbandit if you’re interested

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like a nice tank .
Are you planning live plants ?
What temperature do you plan ?
The rummies and GBR really want an established [not just cycled] tank that has been running a couple months .

CichlidFreak7000

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Discus and Clown loaches probably wouldnt fit. They grow really big. Rams may work but they are pretty hard to care for and the plecos are perfect for a 20+ gallon tank. What id recommend is a really showstopping aquascape along with dwarf cichlids. Ther e are some really cheap aquascapes that still look pretty.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I see your going with my stocking suggestion! You will not be dissapointed.

New Threads