Need advice not criticism on situation

Jackkelly

I bought a fish tank off of Facebook marketplace that came with fish. One of these fish was a single clown loach. When I first got him I noticed he was in great health and was swimming around. The more I have had him he has been out less and doesn’t seem to be eating as he is much thinner. I have feed flakes, 2 different bottom feeder pellets and frozen bloodworms. This is a 55 gallon tank and he is at max 3 inches. I am contemplating moving him to my 10 gallon tank that has a dwarf Mexican crayfish, 3 peacock gobies and 9 juvenile cherry barbs(around an inch). This would allow me to 1. Be able to look at him clearer as there are less places to hide and I don’t think I would have to worry about as much competition for food as he would be the biggest fish. I am aware this is two small of a tank but it my only real option as a hospital tank. Do you think it is a good idea for him and do you think the clown loach will harm any of my other fish?

jkkgron2

I bought a fish tank off of Facebook marketplace that came with fish. One of these fish was a single clown loach. When I first got him I noticed he was in great health and was swimming around. The more I have had him he has been out less and doesn’t seem to be eating as he is much thinner. I have feed flakes, 2 different bottom feeder pellets and frozen bloodworms. This is a 55 gallon tank and he is at max 3 inches. I am contemplating moving him to my 10 gallon tank that has a dwarf Mexican crayfish, 3 peacock gobies and 9 juvenile cherry barbs(around an inch). This would allow me to 1. Be able to look at him clearer as there are less places to hide and I don’t think I would have to worry about as much competition for food as he would be the biggest fish. I am aware this is two small of a tank but it my only real option as a hospital tank. Do you think it is a good idea for him and do you think the clown loach will harm any of my other fish?
He might be a bit stressed out in the 10g because of the crayfish. Never thought I would suggest this but Have you considered getting pest snails? He may enjoy snacking on some snails in the 55 and they should help him get some food in him until you can get him to start eating.

I can’t guarantee this will work- you may end up being overrun with snails. Live food like snails may seem more appealing than frozen or pellets/flakes but he may not take to them right away, and he might ignore them entirely.

Upvote 0

Blueberrybetta

Loaches are also schooling fish , best kept in a group minimum of 4. He may be stressed from being alone too

Upvote 0

Jackkelly

He might be a bit stressed out in the 10g because of the crayfish. Never thought I would suggest this but Have you considered getting pest snails? He may enjoy snacking on some snails in the 55 and they should help him get some food in him until you can get him to start eating.

I can’t guarantee this will work- you may end up being overrun with snails. Live food like snails may seem more appealing than frozen or pellets/flakes but he may not take to them right away, and he might ignore them entirely.
Where would I get pest snails? I have tons of plants but have been lucky not to have any?

Upvote 0

ayeayeron

Agree with both above. If you plan on keeping him long term, you should get him some friends. Also have you checked parameters? Temp?

Upvote 0

Jackkelly

Agree with both above. If you plan on keeping him long term, you should get him some friends. Also have you checked parameters? Temp?
I plan on adding more but the tank is heavily stocked already. Looking to rehome some of the fish at the moment.

My temperature is around 79-80 and haven’t checked parameters because all of my other fish have been thriving

Upvote 0

jake37

First clown loaches need large tanks. He might be young and only a couple inches long and a 10 might be ok for a few weeks while you get in shape but eventually he will need a min. of a 4 foot tank and larger is better.
-
Second I'm concern that he is suffering weight loss. If he is actually dropping weight it might be that he is constipated or has skinny loach diease (google it). If he is constipated you could try feeding him pees without the shell (loaches do like vegie; but it might take a while for him to figure out it is food and even longer to consider eating it if he doesn't feel well.
-
When i aquired my loaches (from the lfs) they were dangerously skinny (spines where showing through the skin) and they were not shy about eating. A hungry loach will become aggressive towards food unless he is ill.
-
Last but least clown loaches like it warm - i'd shoot for 78-80 range though they can go warmer.

Upvote 0

Blueberrybetta

Where would I get pest snails? I have tons of plants but have been lucky not to have any?

Pest snails are actually very beneficial to tanks to some people, especially MTS if you have a sand substrate

Upvote 0

jake37

Loaches eat snails. If (when?) he recovers he will eat all the snails.

Pest snails are actually very beneficial to tanks to some people, especially MTS if you have a sand substrate

I re-read your post - clown loaches like having a place to hide. If you put him in the 10 be sure he has some place to hide - a pvc tube or somehting. There is a chance you will scare him crapless every time you approach the tank. If he has a place to hide then he might be more willing to come out if he feels safe. Having said this many stores (petco, petsmart) will put clown loaches in bare 10 or 20 gallon tanks and they survive long enough to be sold.
-
Do you feed him any pellets like hiraki loach pellets or shrimp pellets ?
-
As for snails you can ask your local fish store or sometimes people give them away in the for sale area here.

Upvote 0

Jackkelly

First clown loaches need large tanks. He might be young and only a couple inches long and a 10 might be ok for a few weeks while you get in shape but eventually he will need a min. of a 4 foot tank and larger is better.
-
Second I'm concern that he is suffering weight loss. If he is actually dropping weight it might be that he is constipated or has skinny loach diease (google it). If he is constipated you could try feeding him pees without the shell (loaches do like vegie; but it might take a while for him to figure out it is food and even longer to consider eating it if he doesn't feel well.
-
When i aquired my loaches (from the lfs) they were dangerously skinny (spines where showing through the skin) and they were not shy about eating. A hungry loach will become aggressive towards food unless he is ill.
-
Last but least clown loaches like it warm - i'd shoot for 78-80 range though they can go warmer.
I have him in a 55 gallon which offers the 4 foot long tank.

I am going to look into skinny loach disease because his spine is definitely showing.
I want to help him recover but I don’t know which tank would be best for him the 55 or the 10. The only reason I suggest the 10 is because I will be able to monitor him and will be less competition for food

I don’t have a sand substrate. He hides behind the big piece of driftwood

Attachments

• 490E2EE0-25C3-4798-9CD7-B79A6614D456.jpeg
    490E2EE0-25C3-4798-9CD7-B79A6614D456.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 0

86 ssinit

What ar3 the other fish in the tank? And did they also come with the tank.
Is that a red tailed shark in there? It could be th3 problem.

Upvote 0

UnknownUser

I had read on a thread once that sometimes if a loach doesn’t get appropriate food and gets too thin and stops eating, they won’t start eating again if given the opportunity. The thread said not to buy skinny ones for this reason. Not sure if others can confirm, just throwing it out there.

Upvote 0

Jackkelly

What ar3 the other fish in the tank? And did they also come with the tank.
Is that a red tailed shark in there? It could be th3 problem.
Yes there is a 4 inch and 2 inch red tail shark. I have been experiencing that problem of the bigger red tail shark being a terror to the other fish. He is priority number 1 on rehoming. Had some people ask but nothing follow through.

I re-read your post - clown loaches like having a place to hide. If you put him in the 10 be sure he has some place to hide - a pvc tube or somehting. There is a chance you will scare him crapless every time you approach the tank. If he has a place to hide then he might be more willing to come out if he feels safe. Having said this many stores (petco, petsmart) will put clown loaches in bare 10 or 20 gallon tanks and they survive long enough to be sold.
-
Do you feed him any pellets like hiraki loach pellets or shrimp pellets ?
-
As for snails you can ask your local fish store or sometimes people give them away in the for sale area here.
I have tried feeding him api bottom feeder pellets which is shrimp based. If I add him to the 10 gallon I will make sure he has a hide

Upvote 0

Islandvic

A couple of thoughts...

Even though the tankmates are doing well, consider increasing the frequency and size of your WC's.

Clown loaches do not like fluctuations in water parameters. They need extra filtration and WC's to ensure they have good water quality.

Also, consider dropping in a foot long length of PVC pipe, maybe 3"-4" wide. That will give the loach sufficient hiding place to feel safe.

Upvote 0

jake37

Sometime my clowns come out at feeding time but occasionally they wait till night to come out. You might try feeding him after the lights go out and give him 15 or 20 minutes to come out.

I have tried feeding him api bottom feeder pellets which is shrimp based. If I add him to the 10 gallon I will make sure he has a hide

Upvote 0

Jackkelly

A couple of thoughts...

Even though the tankmates are doing well, consider increasing the frequency and size of your WC's.

Clown loaches do not like fluctuations in water parameters. They need extra filtration and WC's to ensure they have good water quality.

Also, consider dropping in a foot long length of PVC pipe, maybe 3"-4" wide. That will give the loach sufficient hiding place to feel safe.
That’s a great idea. If I hid it behind the wood would it still work just for aesthetic purposes. If I do it should I worry about other fish swimming in it?

Sometime my clowns come out at feeding time but occasionally they wait till night to come out. You might try feeding him after the lights go out and give him 15 or 20 minutes to come out.
That’s a great idea

Upvote 0

Mcasella

I honestly would move him over to the ten so he isn't getting bullied by the sharks (I've had a larger one even go after armored catfish and swordtails, both which just fled from him), you will need to give him some hiding places and cross your fingers that the cray can behave itself with such an appetizing (ie weak) fish in the tank.

They should be willing to come out to eat at any point in time (on top of the sharks also being active at night for food), putting him in the smaller tank might make it easier for him to find the food. Some skinny loaches can recover, but only if there isn't something keeping them from the food.

As for snails, most stores give them away, pop into a local petco or mom and pop and ask for some pest snails. Bladder or even ramshorn work.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
cichlid4life
Replies
Views
Cruise
Replies
Views
Riot36
Replies