Need Advice - newbie with 90 gallon tank - Community or Cichlids?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Zoso99, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Z

Zoso99 New Member Member

Hi everyone,
    I just got my first tank....90 gallon! I desperately need advice on stocking it. On one hand, I want to go community because I want a peaceful, colorful and active tank and would like some schooling fish. On the other hand, community fish are so small and I'd really like something bigger that makes a statement, which brings me to cichlids. My concern is that I want peace and do not want to witness violence or murders on a daily basis. Although, if I stock correctly, can't I have peace with cichlids? Also, I keep reading that cichlids are not for the beginner? How much more work are they? Please provide some advice including how you would stock either way. My tank is cycled and ready for some fish...just not sure what to go get. Thanks for the help!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to the forum

The best way to avoid aggression problems is to properly stock the tank. Research the fish you are interested in, ask questions of people who keep them, and then make an informed choice. Often, there is a gap between theory (what you research) and practice (people's experience). All too often people just read profiles and that's it, but there's no guarantee that the person who wrote (or copied....) the profile has any experience whatsoever with said fish.

In a 90 you could do a peaceful community with some cichlids. I would try angelfish - they will make a statement, but won't eat your fish. You could do a group of them with some tetras, corys and a pleco or two. That would be a good foundation to work with.

How did you cycle the tank?

3. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Some cichlids can be pretty peaceful, as long as you stock correctly :) You can choose either south american cichlids or african cichlids- of those south americans are generally more peaceful. If you choose african cichlids and want something peaceful, I'd stay away from mbuna species, and go for a peacock tank (my favorites!).

Depending on whether you want south american or african, we can help you pick out a couple fish that'd be compatible ;D

4. F

Fishyboy05 Valued Member Member

I'd do a community. How's something like this sound?
    2- angelfish
    2- German blue rams
    2- apistogrammas
    8 cory catfish
    10 prestilla tetras
    10 harqualin rasboras! I've never had a big tank but I'd love something like this!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice