Need Advice - Moving My Cycle And 7 Cichlids In The Middle Of June In Arizona

DoubledCashew

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will be moving 7 small/medium sized cichlids from my 29 gallon tank to a newly setup 55 gallon when I arrive at my destination. It will be the middle of June, a 6 hour drive, from AZ to Vegas. I'll be driving a 2004 cavalier, just got a new compressor installed. Do you think if I drive at night, I'll be okay, temperature wise? It can be up to 100 degrees here at night. How should I transport them? In bags or not? All in a bucket/cooler? And how should I keep my cycle alive? I have a Fluval 304 Canister, Tetra 40 gallon HOB, and a large sponge filter. Should I blast the A/C the whole way there? Get a fan? I need ALL the advice I can get! I've put SOO much into these fish..Thank you!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You don't need to really blast the AC, just keep the temps between 70 and 80 F and you should be fine. If they'll fit comfortable in a bucket, you can do that, otherwise bag them and put them in a cooler.

Put the filter media and sponge filter in a bucket or bag of dechlorinated water and it should be fine.

OP
DoubledCashew

DoubledCashew

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TexasDomer said:
You don't need to really blast the AC, just keep the temps between 70 and 80 F and you should be fine. If they'll fit comfortable in a bucket, you can do that, otherwise bag them and put them in a cooler.

Put the filter media and sponge filter in a bucket or bag of dechlorinated water and it should be fine.
I'm just not sure the temperature inside the car will remain consistent. Though I suppose you did just give me the idea of buying a thermometer gun or something to make sure the water is good before and during the trip. Should I just fill up a cooler or something and throw them in their? That way the temp stays steady? Also, the filter media needs air does it not? What about a bucket with a portable source connected to an air stone? Also, if I put the fish in a sealed cooler, Id probably need it cracked for air..huh? And would I need an airstone for them? Also, do you think I'd make it during the day, with 110+ temps?

OP
DoubledCashew

DoubledCashew

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DoubledCashew said:
I'm just not sure the temperature inside the car will remain consistent. Though I suppose you did just give me the idea of buying a thermometer gun or something to make sure the water is good before and during the trip. Should I just fill up a cooler or something and throw them in their? That way the temp stays steady? Also, the filter media needs air does it not? What about a bucket with a portable source connected to an air stone? Also, if I put the fish in a sealed cooler, Id probably need it cracked for air..huh? And would I need an airstone for them? Do you think I'd make it during the day? With 118 temps?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't feed them for 48 hrs before your trip. Bag each fish in it's own bag and put in a cooler lined with towels. Keep the lid closed the entire trip to minimize temp fluctuations. Put the filter media in a bucket of tank water (preferred over dechlorinated water). HD or Lowes sells 5 gallon buckets and lids. The bb on the filter media does not need air for a 6hr trip. The 5 gallon bucket lid seals the bucket so it's safe for travel.

Drive safely and don't crash.

New Threads