Need Advice - Moving My Cycle And 7 Cichlids In The Middle Of June In Arizona

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by DoubledCashew, Apr 2, 2018.

1. DoubledCashew

DoubledCashewValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Experience:
    Just started
    I will be moving 7 small/medium sized cichlids from my 29g tank to a newly setup 55g when I arrive at my destination. It will be the middle of June, a 6 hour drive, from AZ to Vegas. I'll be driving a 2004 cavalier, just got a new compressor installed. Do you think if I drive at night, I'll be okay, temperature wise? It can be up to 100 degrees here at night. How should I transport them? In bags or not? All in a bucket/cooler? And how should I keep my cycle alive? I have a Fluval 304 Canister, Tetra 40g HOB, and a large sponge filter. Should I blast the A/C the whole way there? Get a fan? I need ALL the advice I can get! I've put SOO much into these fish..Thank you!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,064
    Experience:
    2 years
    You don't need to really blast the AC, just keep the temps between 70 and 80 F and you should be fine. If they'll fit comfortable in a bucket, you can do that, otherwise bag them and put them in a cooler.

Put the filter media and sponge filter in a bucket or bag of dechlorinated water and it should be fine.

3. OP
    OP
    DoubledCashew

Ratings:
    +17
    Experience:
    Just started
    I'm just not sure the temperature inside the car will remain consistent. Though I suppose you did just give me the idea of buying a thermometer gun or something to make sure the water is good before and during the trip. Should I just fill up a cooler or something and throw them in their? That way the temp stays steady? Also, the filter media needs air does it not? What about a bucket with a portable source connected to an air stone? Also, if I put the fish in a sealed cooler, Id probably need it cracked for air..huh? And would I need an airstone for them? Also, do you think I'd make it during the day, with 110+ temps?

4. OP
    OP
    DoubledCashew

Ratings:
    +17
    Experience:
    Just started

5. DarkOne

DarkOneFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,942
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Don't feed them for 48 hrs before your trip. Bag each fish in it's own bag and put in a cooler lined with towels. Keep the lid closed the entire trip to minimize temp fluctuations. Put the filter media in a bucket of tank water (preferred over dechlorinated water). HD or Lowes sells 5g buckets and lids. The bb on the filter media does not need air for a 6hr trip. The 5g bucket lid seals the bucket so it's safe for travel.

Drive safely and don't crash.