Need Advice for Treatment of Guppy with Bitten Tail

KristinaZ
Hi Everyone! We just started up a 10 gal aquarium, and regretfully didn’t know about cycling the tank first, and sadly we lost 3 of 6 male guppies. It’s been about two weeks and the remaining fish are lively and healthy, and the water levels are good. However I noticed some fraying on one guppy’s tail and a pattern of the largest guppy chasing him and nipping at his tail. After reading a lot of different information, I’d really like some advice on what is the safest and best route to take to help the guppy’s tail recover and prevent injury among our fish: Should I move the injured fish to a separate tank with Melafix? Or would being moved be stressful and do more harm than good? Should I add Melafix and or aquarium salt to the main tank, or will that disrupt the good bacteria that seems to be finally established? And will the bully fish hopefully get better if we add more guppies, or is he likely to attack everyone? Pic attached, the dark blue guy is the one with the wounded tail, but it’s a bit hard to see, they rarely are still enough to get a good pic. Really appreciate any insight, thanks!

Attachments

• 67F13980-915C-4F81-A486-DF5A9D79F057.jpeg
    67F13980-915C-4F81-A486-DF5A9D79F057.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 31
Flyfisha
Hi KristinaZ and welcome.
At this time the tail is not much of a problem. If it gets a lot shorter then it’s likely to get a secondary infection. Multiple water changes will keep the water clean and reduce the changes of death from a secondary infection.

More importantly.
Multiple water changes are still needed as the tank is extremely unlikely to be cycled/ to have a full house of bacteria after 2 weeks.
8 weeks is more like a normal time frame?

what are the water parameters/ numbers in ppm?

Fresh water is the key ,not salt or magic in a bottle.

HupGupp
I've got 3 guppy tanks going and find a 10 gallon a little challenging at times too. If it's a compatible group it's enough room but it's quite small if there's conflict. I actually keep my 3 most aggressive males (same strain, purchased together) in a 10 gallon as they caused conflict with the rest of the group in a 20 gallon but are fine together in the 10.

KristinaZ
Thank you so much for your reply. Apparently you’re right the aquarium hadn’t cycled yet. It was better last week but today I got the water tested and the ammonia is 0, nitrite is 3, nitrate is 10, pH is 6.2, and alkalinity,hardness and chlorine are 0. I went to Petsmart and they said to move the fish to a clean tank until I get the water right here bc they said the nips on the fin look like acid burns instead.

Hi KristinaZ and welcome.
At this time the tail is not much of a problem. If it gets a lot shorter then it’s likely to get a secondary infection. Multiple water changes will keep the water clean and reduce the changes of death from a secondary infection.

More importantly.
Multiple water changes are still needed as the tank is extremely unlikely to be cycled/ to have a full house of bacteria after 2 weeks.
8 weeks is more like a normal time frame?

what are the water parameters/ numbers in ppm?

Fresh water is the key ,not salt or magic in a bottle.

Flyfisha
Good morning.
I don’t think moving all the fish is the answer. Unless you have empty tanks and like me enjoy playing musical fish.
Leaving some / all the fish will provide the ammonia needed to finish the cycle.
Continue water changes in the ten gallon with guppies.
Have you got a bigger tank spare?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
alis
  • Question
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
tlongo71