Need Advice For Picky Eating Betta Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AnglerTheStrangler, Apr 25, 2019.

1. AnglerTheStranglerWell Known MemberMember

It seems that as my Betta Fish has got older he has become more picky with his food. His pellets that for a couple years he would eat very willingly he now spits out. Any advice from some who has gone through the same thing?

2. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

No, never had that problem, what Durand are they? May I see a picture of the front and back of the bottle?/bag?:)

3. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

If he's been eating the same pellets for years, then it could get boring over time. Try feeding him a new type of pellets or try soaking his pellets in garlic extract to stimulate his appetite and entice him to eat.

4. AnglerTheStranglerWell Known MemberMember

Ok I’ll give it a shot thank you. Is it ok to just try to switch over to a different brand? And for the garlic, would Garlic Guard be ok? He ate 3 pellets in the morning yesterday and 3 in the evening and kept them down. Could he maybe just not be hungry?

5. WinterSoldier.Well Known MemberMember

What about bloodworms? Does he like those? Or some kind of live food

6. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Yes it's fine to just switch over to another brand of pellets. Garlic Guard is fine to use, I use it for my bettas.

7. AnglerTheStranglerWell Known MemberMember

He loves bloodworms and never spits them up. Their the frozen ones
    Yeah he goes crazy for bloodworms. Never once has turned one down or spit one out. I do the frozen and thaw them out in tank water. I only feed them for a few meals a week though because I heard their just supposed to be a snack every now and then. As far as live food goes I’ve never tried. Any recommendations? I was thinking about doing live fruit flies. A website I know of sells them but I’ve never done it before and don’t know if it’s the flightless or the wingless, and how many to feed etc..

8. AnglerTheStranglerWell Known MemberMember

Do you notice a difference feeding them with the garlic? Do you just soak the pellets in the garlic instead of the tank water?

9. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

I've mostly used it for frozen brine shrimp because they didn't seem to like that stuff too much. With the garlic they never spat out a brine shrimp again. I used it several times on pellets by soaking them in it, but it seemed too "spicy" and they would spit it out a few times before fully swallowing it. So I diluted the garlic extract.

10. AnglerTheStranglerWell Known MemberMember

I was actually thinking about feeding them Brine Shrimp. I have some frozen I might give a shot. For the Garlic Guard I’ll probably just put a few drops of it in the cup of tank water I soak the pellets in. It does seem like it would be pretty potent if you use to much. Plus I don’t want my tank/room to start smelling like garlic. Too bad he can’t just eat bloodworms all the time. He loves them lol.

11. AnglerTheStranglerWell Known MemberMember

I was just checking your profile and I have the same kind of Bettas you do! One Plakat and one Veil. My Veil Tail is blue though. Red sounds awesome though! I bet he’s cool lookin! Do you have names for your Bettas?

12. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, my male betta is named Gladiator because he looks like he's wearing armor. My female is named Little Red after Little Red Riding Hood because she's small and red.

13. AnglerTheStranglerWell Known MemberMember

Awesome names! My names aren’t as cool.. George is Plakat and Curly is the Veil Tail cause he has a curly tail at the end. Lol

14. AnglerTheStranglerWell Known MemberMember

So I fed him this morning. I gave him 2 pellets and he kept them both down but after about a minute he spit out a little spec of it. Do you think 2 pellets twice a day is enough for him?

15. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

I think that's enough. Bettas should be fed around 4-6 pellets a day and you're within that range.