Need advice for overflow box

Discussion in 'Sump' started by biller, Jul 24, 2015.

1. biller

biller Well Known Member Member

What kinds of overflow boxes do you guys use? I need to find a good one for a none drilled tank. If you can what are the proofs and cons of those that you mention. Thanks for the help guys

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

What will the purpose of the overflow be if your tank isn't drilled?

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Are you talking about a DIY PVC overflow?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

If you are looking to purchase an overflow box, check out the link above. I ordered my complete Wet/Dry filtration system from Ken's and it's doing great for my 265g tank.

Make sure the over flow box you select has the gph rating (or lower) than that of the pump you decide to use.

Not every aquarium has to be predrilled in order to use a Sump or Wet/Dry filtration, thus the use of an overflow box. Match them as closely as possible. If your pump is designed for (example) 300gph then the overflow box should also be rated for 300gph (gallons per hour). If not, you may have an overflow either in the tank itself or the tide pool area of the sump/wet dry.

Ken

5. OP
    OP
    biller

biller Well Known Member Member

Thanks, what gph would you recommend for a 46g bow front?

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

7. danhutchins70

danhutchins70 New Member Member

I'm having an issue with my diy overflow and return pump. It seems as if the overflow it putting to much water to the sump and the return pump isn't pumping water back to main tank fast enough. The overflow is 1 1/4" pvc and the pump is rated at 317gph. After the overflow drains the main tank to the top of the overflow it completely stops it's siphon then the pump pushes water back to main tank till there is to little water left in the sump. Any help would be great. The whole overflow and sump is made the same way as most YouTube videos. Why does this work for everyone but me?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice