Need advice for 20 gallon tank!

katelynx

I’m new to having fish and I just wanted to ask for some opinions/ what you guys think would work best.
I’m getting a 20 gallon tank and these are the fish I am interested in getting:
Honey gourami

Green neon tetras

Julii corydoras

Guppies

How much should I get of each?

Would all of those work together?

From the research I’ve been doing the numbers I’ve come up with are:

1 honey gourami

6 green neon tetras

5 Julii corydoras

3 guppies

Does this sound right at all?

Less of any? More of any?

I just want to make sure I do everything properly and I can make their environment as healthy as possible!
Thank you!!

nj278

I have no experience with honey gourami, though I have heard that they do better in groups.

Would you get male guppies or females as well? There's always the problem (if you want to call it a problem) of fry if you get females, as they really do take over.

I love the sound of this tank though, the honey gourami and the corydoras especially. It sounds like you've thought this through and will have a very exciting tank with fish in all levels of the water.

ProudPapa

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Since you asked, here's my recommendation.
  • 3-5 honey gouramis, ideally with females outnumbering males. While they aren't shoaling fish, they are social, and do better in groups.
  • 8-10 green neon tetras
  • 6 Corydoras trilineatus. (They're what's commonly sold as julii corys, but really aren't)

katelynx

I have no experience with honey gourami, though I have heard that they do better in groups.

Would you get male guppies or females as well? There's always the problem (if you want to call it a problem) of fry if you get females, as they really do take over.

I love the sound of this tank though, the honey gourami and the corydoras especially. It sounds like you've thought this through and will have a very exciting tank with fish in all levels of the water.

I would probably try to just have male guppies because I’m not looking to breed any right now since this is my very first tank. I’ve seen that trios are good for guppies but if you get 6 or more it may be better for males? I just don’t know what is best though cause I have no experience yet and I’m not sure if that would then be too many fish in the tank. Thank you for replying!!
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Since you asked, here's my recommendation.
  • 3-5 honey gouramis, ideally with females outnumbering males. While they aren't shoaling fish, they are social, and do better in groups.
  • 8-10 green neon tetras
  • 6 Corydoras trilineatus. (They're what's commonly sold as julii corys, but really aren't)
I will definitely take that into consideration! Thank you very much!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Discus-Tang
Replies
Views
emilymg
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views