Need advice- filter advice - water advice - etc.

1. jcmguy Member Member

So I'm thinking about getting about 20 to 40 red cherry shrimp. I have a few questions on the 10 gallons tank I'm going to set up.

1. Would this sponge filter suffice ( http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSpongeActive.htm) and if so how would I set it up?

2. I have high alkalinity and an 8.2 pH, would this kill my new shrimp?

3. If I can use the sponge filter for my 10 gallon, would the same one work for my 29 gallon guppy tank?

Thanks for any answers given!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. jcmguy Member Member

Oh and also!

4. Would my new shrimp need a little bit of aquarium salt added just like the guppies?

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Just to address a couple things, I don't know if you'd kill them with that ph, they are fairly resilient as far as shrimp go. They will also breed like crazy and you will double your numbers (maxing out your tank space) in a couple months. You could always buy fewer and let them breed to get the number you want, and try to get credit for the rest from your lfs.

Edit: a sponge filter will totally work.

4. jcmguy Member Member

Okay! Thanks! But I was also wondering about the alkilinity! I read somewhere that it kills shrimp.

5. jcmguy Member Member

And I was also wondering if that size sponge filter would work for my 29 gallon tank?

6. Jim Well Known Member Member

If it is just shrimp the filter might work, with guppies - I doubt it. I do not use salt in any of my tanks

7. jcmguy Member Member

Can I ask why it wouldn't work with guppies? Jim

8. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

It would work fine with guppies... wut?

Do not salt your shrimp tank. There's a care sheet on Fishlore for RCS, I suggest reading it so you'll know how to care for them. I'm not 100% sure on the alkaline water, but you could easily find out their adaptable pH range. 7.6 is where I see most people keeping them on shrimp forums.

As for the sponge filter and the guppies - I would personally not use a sponge filter alone unless you have a lot of plants in the tank. Given that guppies are livebearers and are messy as heck for their size, you want to be sure you can keep up with the bioload, and having carbon, purigen, or other media helps with that. You need mechanical filtration with guppies - UNLESS you have a heavily planted tank and mostly want the filtration for water movement and aeration.

9. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Here is a picture of my setup for my RCS farm!
    [​IMG]

Know that darker substrates (or a black bare bottom in my case) will produce a deeper red in your shrimp. They attempt to blend and it forces darker coloration. Lighter substrates, like white sand, will give them a "washed out" appearance; either coloration is perfectly healthy, but many find the deeper red more appealing.

10. jcmguy Member Member

Thank you all!!

11. jcmguy Member Member

I like your setup Phishphin! I might use this after I get my decorative tank setup. Your setup is where I will put my extra shrimp.

12. jcmguy Member Member

Sorry I'm so late on this but junebug could you find a link to that page on RCS.. I can't find it.

13. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

14. jcmguy Member Member

Thanks again!