Need a supplemental T5 light suggestion.

Kryptonian

Hi everyone!

First thread in here. Been doing quite a bit of research on lighting and looking for some suggestions for a 75 gal reef tank. I have the Current USA IC Pro Dual LED and
(1) wondering if I really need supplemental lighting for good coral care. My research has really come up with major opinions in both directions.
(2) wondering what T5 setup is slim enough to work with the IC Pro and not be bulky and undesirable. The IC Pros are mounted and about 6" above water level.

I have one SPS Birdsnest I'm trying and it's on a live rock peak about 5" below the surface. Supposedly it's getting about 240 PAR based on Current USA specs. Tank is only 16" deep and most LPS are mid-tank and not at the bottom. Based off link below, they're still getting 150+ PAR, maybe some just below that.

Just don't want to see any deterioration due to lack of light...

TIA for any help!

saltwater60

If you have the dual as in the light all the way to the right you should be fine. SPS are tough corals to keep and require pristine water quality. Some acroporas need very intense lighting. Birds nest is middle of the road and not super demanding. You’re probably boarder line on the birds nest so you could get an LEF pendant light if you wanted to. https://vividaquariums.com/products/pink-birdsnest-coral
If you’re do just make sure you acclimate the corals to the new light. I recommend placing one to two layers of window screen in place for a week or so then removing one and follow this until all window screens are removed. Corals can get sunburned too.
Some other thoughts are what are your phosphate levels, do you have a good quality skimmer, are you testing and maintaining calcium, alkalinity, magnesium. All corals with skeletons use these up and usually not enough is being brought back into the system with just water changes
Also how do the corals look? Are they growing at all? How long have you had the corals?

Kryptonian

If you have the dual as in the light all the way to the right you should be fine. SPS are tough corals to keep and require pristine water quality. Some acroporas need very intense lighting. Birds nest is middle of the road and not super demanding. You’re probably boarder line on the birds nest so you could get an LEF pendant light if you wanted to. Pink Birdsnest Coral
If you’re do just make sure you acclimate the corals to the new light. I recommend placing one to two layers of window screen in place for a week or so then removing one and follow this until all window screens are removed. Corals can get sunburned too.
Some other thoughts are what are your phosphate levels, do you have a good quality skimmer, are you testing and maintaining calcium, alkalinity, magnesium. All corals with skeletons use these up and usually not enough is being brought back into the system with just water changes
Also how do the corals look? Are they growing at all? How long have you had the corals?
Thanks for the reply! Keeping calc, mag, iodine up with Instant Ocean Reef Accelerator on a weekly basis. Using a Reef Octopus Classic 1000 HOB skimmer. And yes, the dual all the way to the right on the PDF. Alk is 9.5, Phosphate <0.1, pH 8.2. Using RO/DI unit for all water. Levels have been really good. I think my main concerns were too little light vs blasting my corals away. They're all pretty new, all added within the past 2 weeks, so I don't have major growth yet. Nothing has experienced discoloration or burns.
Good idea on the window screen! I'll definitely do that to acclimate a new light. I have a third LED bar that I could always just turn on for 2-3 hours a day around noon for some extra light if you think that'll help make up for some loss not having a T5.. My tank placement just isn't great for some bulks T5 fixture hanging off my ceiling.

AquaPhilNJ

You could buy or rent a PAR meter, then you will be able to determine you real #'s and make better decisions. LEDs provide par very well, and T5 provide a wider blanket of light better. bulkreefsupply.com has par meter rentals, something to consider.
As you may know the blue lights provide better spectrum than white. Therefore, consider light spectrum when choosing lights. And note coral deterioration is possible with over lighting. I am a follower of the bulk reef supply youtube channel, and is where I learned about lighting, fun videos.
Good luck : - ]

saltwater60

Yeah I think adding the led light is just fine. Sounds like you’re doing most things correct there.
I would test for the calcium and magnesium and get some powders to adjust the calcium, alk, and magnesium on their own or at least get the test kits so your know where they are at. Some times one will be low and the others will be fine
If they are only two weeks old in your tank you won’t see much of anything. Just sit tight and monitor.
Also adding that other led light is fine. I grew clams under my led light and they loved it. Had constant growth.

Kryptonian

Thanks for the help! I'll test PAR and get more specific with testing and dosing for individual supplements.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Roman96
Replies
Views
tuggerlake26
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views