Need A Super Speedy Reply And Guidance.

1. EdwinW

EdwinW Member Member

I have a 55 gallon fish tank, I need suggestions from the pros, I know the majority will be in favor of Aquaclear, but i like Seachem Tidals, so what do you guys think,
    2Tidal 70s or
    2 Aquaclear 70s

2. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Pros ? People may want to know stocking, for bio load and flow rates etc personally i only use canisters on my fresh water setups over 30g. Fluval 306 on my 55 its amazing in every way. Someone else may give advice on the hobs for you, honestly never ran one on a fw tank before.

3. OP
    OP
    EdwinW

EdwinW Member Member

At the moment, i have like 5 red eye tetras, 5 swords, 3 bristlenose plecos, 2 fancy gold fish, but the stocking will eventually be 4 fancy gold fish, the 3 BN plecos and 1 oranda, also, how can i keep the oranda from getting swim bladder, had one before and got it and died. As for flow rates, the AC 70 flow at 350gph and the Tidals @300 gph, so with a 55 and either of the two, i would get around 10 to 14 turn overs per hour. I just love how the tidals are super silent, at the moment im running 2 penguin 350s but those suckers are loud, plus the bio wheels give off too much micro bubbles

4. grantm91

Honestly im not a pro on filtration or stocking i just enjoy my fish and keeping them healthy and the tank clean, goldies bn plecos and red eye tetra are they all compatible i dont know about that but sounds like you should go with the tidals as your saying they quiet, they should do the job maybe someone else can come to advise. You should look into canisters i never looked back, low maintenance and amazing performance.

5. R

RyanLewis Member Member

Personally, I would go with the tidal just because of the skimmer and adjustability of the filter and overall quality of it :)

6. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

I haven't even seen the tidals, but have never gone wrong with an Aqua-Clear. They are solid devices. The most important thing is to avoid all slotted media packs, and all filters that depend on them. An Aquaclear can run with a sponge or two that will last forever. Avoiding media changes with a media you can just rinse for 5-10 years is far superior to compromising your cycle every time you clean the filter. The manufacturers who expect you to constantly buy new media are not producing reliable, quality devices.

Not having seen a Tidal, I don't know how they are configured. Given how goldfish digestion works, you will need to change or clean media often.

Digestive difficulties leading to swim bladder issues in Orandas are often the result of intensive inbreeding. Sometimes the only way to avoid it is to choose the least deformed specimen you can find.

7. R

RyanLewis Member Member

The tidal has a decent sized basket although not quite as large as the aquaclear, you can still put about anything you want in it. I like that it has a float that tells you when it's clogged and the built in surface skimmer and heater clip are a huge plus to me. :)

8. grantm91

There you go NB makes a valid point, i went with a £12 hob filter on my 30g reef tank for how the sheer simplicity made it customisable da066281c5c397d7f721d6aa2c08478f.jpg theres nothing worse than lining big company's pockets because the way they design there products forces you to do so. Spend the money where its worth being spent on stuff thats going to be cost effective in the long run ie my £12 if it fails tomorrow I've had 7 months of learning and filtering out of it. Seems solid the Chinese nailed it with that little motor.

9. OP
    OP
    EdwinW

EdwinW Member Member

Thanks for the reply, 2 things i like about the tidals actually, they are super quiet, and self priming, so if there is a power outage i wont have to worry about them

10. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

I'll go ahead and date myself. I had a Supreme AquaKing HOB long ago on my discus tank, which was a great filter, but honestly, I'm with @grantm91 on this one. I see a lot of disadvantages to HOB. A discreetly placed canister filter or two is what I would lean towards.

11. NavigatorBlack

The canisters I have bought always break. I hate cleaning them. I love HOBs for the ease of cleaning and their durability. I am really a cheap guy.
    I have some no name Chinese HOBs - a local store put their name on them, but who sold them originally is a mystery. They cost me half what the American or Canadian brands do, and are absolute beasts - easily modified, quiet, self-priming and effective after between 5 and 7 years of use. They are clearly slightly modified Aqua-Clear knock offs.
    I got 17 out of an Aquaclear.
    I recycled a bunch of defunct filters two weeks ago - mainly Marinelands and one 10 year old Aqua-clear. The Chinese no names are better products than the marinelands were.
    I am very low on loyalties when it comes to aquarium products - they are probably all from the same Chinese assembly lines anyway, with different shells.
    I had a 7 hour electricity cut today, due to maintenance work, and 12 on 12 Aqua-Clears started up again on their own. That has never happened before.

12. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Big fan of German Eheim canisters :)

Just wanted to mention that there is lots of info out about Aquaclears not starting after a power outage or running dry and breaking.
    Seachem Tidal and Aqueon are guaranteed to start as are my canisters.

Since we tend to have lots of mini power cuts that was a major selling point for me.

13. grantm91

@EdwinW What you going to do have you decided?

14. OP
    OP
    EdwinW

EdwinW Member Member

HEHEHEHEHEHE, i was looking for a barrage of go with the aqua-clear but it sames there are some that see the benefits and quality of the tidals, i have a tidal 55 and i love it, easy to clean, i can put whatever media i want in it, so i would say being in the cayman islands, i should have my 2 tidal 70s in about a week.

15. grantm91

Nice the cayman islands !! And you got some good info and mixed opinions here lol.

16. NavigatorBlack

While you are here - have you ever seen Limia caymanensis?

That's a rare livebearer. I suspect they like HOB filters...

17. OP
    OP
    EdwinW

EdwinW Member Member

Thank you, all fish look fine, no being pushed to and frow..

first i have heard of that one

18. R

RyanLewis Member Member

I saw some on eBay for sale myself recently!