20 Gallon Tank Need A Suggestion, Hob For Planted Tank

Vijay reddy

Reaction score
HI guys! I wanted to know if hang on back filters are enough for planted tanks with carpet? I heard from a person who has algae issues as filtration was not sufficient for the carpet type tanks from hangon back fiters! So what do you say about that? I have just started a tank with dry start method using monte carlo plant for carpet.

Attachments

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Algae isn't going to be caused by a lack of filtration, I have filterless planted tanks without a speck of algae, while a lot of my filtered tanks have algae (it's not because of the filters, I just spend more time balancing the filterless ones).
Algae is caused by an I'm balance of either fertilizer (nutrients), lighting, or CO2. It's often a combination of these, they can either be too much or too little, for example, overdosing fertilizer can be counteracted by increasing photoperiod and CO2, but if you have algae without dosing, you'll want to decrease the photoperiod, light intensity, and CO2

OP
V

Vijay reddy

Reaction score
So what is ideal time enough for a day? I have 50W LED lighting. I am planning to use seachem florish excel.

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
Vijay reddy said:
So what is ideal time enough for a day? I have 50W LED lighting. I am planning to use seachem florish excel.
If you are only using excel, its gonna be tough to get that MC carpet going. For the dry start method to work well, you really need to invest in a pressurised CO2 system, imo.

OP
V

Vijay reddy

Reaction score
Some people say it worked for them with excel and ferts... Also got to know that monte carlo can survive without CO2. After dry start we need CO2 injection right?? Will plan to get CO2 system for few weeks and will continue with excel and ferts. I have good lighting too. So wanted to know if hang on back filter is capable of chem, bio and mechanical filtration...? Want to buy sunsun 502 or 702 hangon back filter if people suggest they are fine..

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
Yeah, that's right, after flooding I'd say 6 to 8 weeks CO2 injection to get the carpet filled in is quite important.

HOBs are definitely capable of all those filtration. I use AquaClears and heard good things about the Seachem Tidals too. I got no experience with the Sunsun.

Personally with this iwagumI style scapes, I think its much nicer with a canister filter with transparent inlets and lily pipe outlets. Keeps the minimalist style of the scape.

New Threads