Need A Step-by-step Guide For Preparing A New Tank And Transferring Everything To It

• Thread starter guppiesandpuppies
  • Start date

guppiesandpuppies

Hi. Eventually (probably tomorrow), I'll be transferring all of this stuff from a 5.5 gallon tank to a 10 gallon tank. I need a step-by-step guide on how to do this.

Here's the stuff:
1. 3 adult male guppies
2. Two Cryptocoryne WendtiI plants (well, one that I broke into two pieces)
3. Two pieces of decor (not sure what they're made of)
4. Seaweed clip
5. Cycled Top Fin 10 gallon filter
6. Possibly an under-gravel heater (I have to check to see if it'll properly heat a 10 gallon tank)
7. Air stone
8. Airline tubing
9. About 5.5 pounds of gravel (I plan to buy more before starting this process)
10. Some of the water (to be extra sure the filter will stay cycled.)

To make things more complicated, I need the new tank to be where the current tank is when the process is done.

Kellye8498

Well Known
I would just move everything over to it and temporarily run two filters...the new one and the old one in the 10. When it's been a couple of weeks and the new filter is seeded you can remove the old filter and either use it in the old tank to support a betta or some shrimp or just get rid of it. Don't worry about the water. The water contains little if any bacteria. The bacteria lives on the rocks, decorations and filter media.

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
#1: Take a picture of the tank if you like the positioning of everything. Unplug all electric items.

#2: Put guppies in a clean cup or bowl or whatever with no soap residue. Place the plant with them. Remove the filter's intake tube, then place the filter still full of water into a bucket.

#3: Remove all of the water from the 5 gallon.

#4: Place the 5 gallon on the floor.

#5: Put the 10 gallon in its place.

#6: Add the gravel, heater, etc from the 5 gallon to the 10 gallon.

#7: Add needed amount of dechlorinator to the 10 gallon. Then fill the tank with water of desired temperature from the bathtub or sink.

#8: Put the plant in the wanted position.

#9: Put the filter back. Add the fish after ensuring the water is the same temperature as the one in their cup or bowl.

#10: Plug in all electrical appliances.

If you get a new filter, just stick the old media from the first one behind the new media.

JoJe

Just do it in a practical order. Pull out the plants and throw them in cups. Same with fish (make sure the cups have no soap residue in them, and move quickly as soon as they are in them). Transfer substrate, heater, and water. Put plants in. Add new water to finish filling tank. Move filter. Move fish from cups to tank. Test water for a few days after the move to make sure everything is stable.

guppiesandpuppies

What can I use that would be aquarium-safe to scoop up the gravel?

Also, I think the only things I can use to temporarily hold the fish are these:

Will they be safe for temporarily holding the fish?

And do I need to somehow slowly acclimate the fish to all the new water in the new tank?

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
guppiesandpuppies said:
What can I use that would be aquarium-safe to scoop up the gravel?

Also, I think the only things I can use to temporarily hold the fish are these: PRUTA Food container, set of 17, clear, green - IKEA

Will they be safe for temporarily holding the fish?

And do I need to somehow slowly acclimate the fish to all the new water in the new tank?
Just use a rinsed out cup. That's what I do. Or buy a bag of plastic cups and use that if you're worried about soap residue.

The containers you have will be fine for holding the fish.

No need to acclimate other than to temperature as long as your tap water is the same PH as your tank water.

Kellye8498

Well Known
I use my hands. They are aquarium safe xD

guppiesandpuppies

Kellye8498 said:
I would just move everything over to it and temporarily run two filters...the new one and the old one in the 10. When it's been a couple of weeks and the new filter is seeded you can remove the old filter and either use it in the old tank to support a betta or some shrimp or just get rid of it. Don't worry about the water. The water contains little if any bacteria. The bacteria lives on the rocks, decorations and filter media.
I'm planning to use the old filter permanently and by itself for the new tank, since it's a 10-gallon filter.

I'm planning to get rid of the old tank. I'm already running two. Three would be too much work lol. I'll probably ask my friends on Facebook if anyone wants to come to my house to pick it up or meet me somewhere to pick it up, and then if none of them want it, I'll see if I can donate it to the ReStore. It's Habitat for Humanity's secondhand store.

Kellye8498

Well Known
Gotcha. All you have to do then is transfer everything over and turn it on then. Make sure to test for awhile to make sure a minI cycle doesn't happen without you noticing and you'll do great

guppiesandpuppies

Bruxes and Bubbles said:
Just use a rinsed out cup. That's what I do. Or buy a bag of plastic cups and use that if you're worried about soap residue.

The containers you have will be fine for holding the fish.

No need to acclimate other than to temperature as long as your tap water is the same PH as your tank water.
I think I'll test the new water once it's in the new tank, just to be extra sure it's the same. How should I acclimate them if it's not?

Bruxes and Bubbles

Well Known
guppiesandpuppies said:
I think I'll test the new water once it's in the new tank, just to be extra sure it's the same. How should I acclimate them if it's not?
Same as you'd acclimate a new fish with a similar water source. Just add a little water at a time to the cup. Once the cup is full, dump half the water out and repeat the process. Then pour the fish in.

Piaelliott

Well Known
Do you use a bucket for water changes? If yes, put the old water from the 5 gal in there with fish and plant.

Use a dustpan to move gravel, use part of the old water and add new water as described. It is basically nothing else than a water change for the fish. They don't need to be acclimated, nothing changed for them.
Just follow Bruxes plan, you'll be fine and the fish will love their new tank.

Top Bottom