Need A Snail And A Shrimp For Lidless Aquarium With Barbs.

TheFishmonger

I need a snail kind and a shrimp kind that is large enough not to be eaten by my 5 Black Ruby Barb juveniles and that will clean the 20 gallon tank from brown, green and yellow algae. Also, I have no lids on the aquarium and based on the kind of filter I have.. I don't plan on adding a lid unless it's a net that covers the top. My barbs are semi-aggressive. They eat bladder snails and they eat red cherry shrimp. I need something large enough to intimidate them, that also won't escape.

Any suggestions?

Salem

The best algae eaters I know of are nerite snails which should be big enough to be ok. If not then I would suggest looking into rabbit and black devil snails- they're bigger and pointy. I'm not super familiar with shrimp but I think if your barbs like the taste of them you may not have a whole lot of luck- you could try amano or ghost shrimp maybe?

MD_Plants

Mystery snail for snail. And I don’t think your going to find a shrimp that will work in your situation... Maybe a bamboo shrimp

TheFishmonger

Yeah, I need shrimp that eat algae and that are over 1 inch, at best 2-3 inches, so they reach the size of the barbs. That would solve that problem. I am thinking amano but I read that they escape and I have no lid, neither do I plan on adding a lid because lets face it.. Some part will always be open because of the filter.

So unless amanos have a hard time climbing the aquarium glass if I leave 2 inches without water then they should be fine. If not I will have to look at other larger shrimp that don't like to explore outside the aquarium.

tjander

Your snail may crawl out of tank. Also, in my experience no aquatic life will remove algae. I think you would be better off trying to find why you have algae in the first place. Also, there is no substitute for good tank maintenance.

MD_Plants

tjander said:
Your snail may crawl out of tank. Also, in my experience no aquatic life will remove algae. I think you would be better off trying to find why you have algae in the first place. Also, there is no substitute for good tank maintenance.
In my experience, one of the best things for algae is to make sure there is a high plant bioload, so it outcompetes the algae for light and nutrients

Top Bottom