Need A Second Opinion

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by rrbauer96, Apr 24, 2017.

1. rrbauer96Valued MemberMember

So one of my female glofish had fin rot so I put her in her own tank with some meds. It seemed to have helped with the inflammation, but her fin never grew back. She was doing fine for about a week or so after the treatment was finished, but now she has it again and it's really bad. She swims in circles vertically then hides behind a plant and breathes really heavy...She looks to be in a lot of distress and I just want to know if euthanizing with clove oil is the best option :(

Thanks

2. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

what did you treat her with?

3. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

4. rrbauer96Valued MemberMember

Well the water parameters are normal as of last week's testing. I do a 50% water change every week on a Monday.

I first tried a type of general medicine tablet from Tetra but then that didn't work so I tried aquarium salt which helped but then the fin rot came back a week later and seemed twice as bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Can you list specific parameters please? Telling us they're "normal" doesn't help.

6. rrbauer96Valued MemberMember

Sorry I was in in a hurry. Ammonia and nitrate is 0 and I believe my nitrites were 40 ppm which I know is kinda high but it's been that way for a while.

7. rrbauer96Valued MemberMember

Just an update I ended up euthanizing her. :'( I put her in a bucket for closer inspection and I saw she had fin rot in multiple areas and the inflammation was spreading to her gills...As for the future I'll check my water again tonight after today's water change in my other tank and react accordingly. Thank you for your guy's responses. :)

8. rrbauer96Valued MemberMember

Oh and sorry mixed nitrate and nitrite up, I meant nitrite is 0 and the nitrate is 40 ppm.

9. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I'm sorry she wasn't doing well.

I would do larger and more frequent water changes to get nitrates below 20 ppm.

Can you list your tank size and stocking? She may have been harassed.

10. rrbauer96Valued MemberMember

That could have very well happened. She was in a community 10 gallon tank with 3 other glofish, two same age and one quite younger. Once I noticed the fin rot the first time I moved her to a 2.5 gallon where I treated with meds by herself.

11. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

That would make sense. A 10 gal is too small for them, and they should be in larger groups (6+). Both could have contributed. I would get a bigger tank and add another 4 at least.

12. sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear about your fish
    Were the three fish all that were in the tank?

Glofish are generally either danios or tetras, both types of fish are schooling fish. In a very small group, they can get aggressive while determining who is boss, and nipping occurs, which can lead to the fin rot.

After you have the nitrates under control, it might help to add a few more until you have six glofish in total. At the same time, move a couple of things around, and the fish with establish their hierarchy in the tank

Good luck

13. rrbauer96Valued MemberMember

Both of you are probably right. Once petco has that dollar per gallon sale going on this summer, I plan to upgrade to a 20 gallon. Will definitely add more now that I know what effects not having a proper school can do. Thanks again! :)

14. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would go for a 20 gal long over a high, by the way. More swimming room!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice