Need a Reliable HOB for 10 Gallon

NBettas83

The TopFin Silentstreams I've been buying have proved to not be the best, so as a result I will probably need another filter. What are some suggestions for reliable Hang On Back Filters that will be suitable for a 10 Gallon? Also, I would like them to be quiet, a slight hum is fine, but a loud buzz or rattle will drive me insane. Also, there needs to be little or no risk of a leak or burst as I cannot deal with that or clean it up most likely. Thanks in advance!

BigManAquatics

I like the aqua-tech ones from walmart. I have 2 that inhave had for a few years. Not very expensive, have treated me better than the toofin ones, plus, pretty sure they are made in the marineland factory. Pretty much a Marineland filter minus the biowheel.

Upvote 0

Aquashrimp42

I have always liked aquaclear filters, they run well and are very quiet until the impeller shaft starts to wear down. Then the impeller can rattle on the shaft but that can be fixed by just replacing the shaft. That happens on any HOB filter though.

Upvote 0

NBettas83

Thanks for the replies! I've looked at the Aquatech, and it looks nice, but the only concern is that it has no water flow adjustment, which is kind of vital for my 10 gallon (everything will get blown around). I looked at the Aquaclear and it looks great, I just need to make sure I will be able to fit some media from my old filter in it so I can switch them, which looks a bit weird because of the vertical design. Lastly, I've heard good things about the Aquatop Forza (good experience with their brand), Should it be something I consider too?

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Thanks for the replies! I've looked at the Aquatech, and it looks nice, but the only concern is that it has no water flow adjustment, which is kind of vital for my 10 gallon (everything will get blown around). I looked at the Aquaclear and it looks great, I just need to make sure I will be able to fit some media from my old filter in it so I can switch them, which looks a bit weird because of the vertical design. Lastly, I've heard good things about the Aquatop Forza (good experience with their brand), Should it be something I consider too?
If you arent already sold on the aquaclear i can recommend the tidal 35. It has adjustable flow and you can use whatever media you want in it. Its also very quiet (i have to check mine all the time to make sure it is still going!)

Upvote 0

NBettas83

If you arent already sold on the aquaclear i can recommend the tidal 35. It has adjustable flow and you can use whatever media you want in it. Its also very quiet (i have to check mine all the time to make sure it is still going!)
Thanks, unfortunately, the Tidal is way too big for me, looks great though. By not being sold on the Aquaclear, I assume you are suggesting it's a reliable filter, right?

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

Check into the Penn Plax Cascade hob's. I am running a Cascade 80 on my 5 gallon betta tank. All of the sizes have adjustable water flow. It's very quiet, and with the larger sizes (the 80 and up), there is room for other filter media. I have an extra piece of cut foam filter, and I have used some polishing pad as well. Since it comes with the cartridge, I just have that stuck in there as well.

You can check them out on amazon.

Upvote 0

Perlumia

I personally LOVE my Penn Plax cascade. I put my own media in it, and it is quiet. You can adjust the flow.

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Thanks, unfortunately, the Tidal is way too big for me, looks great though. By not being sold on the Aquaclear, I assume you are suggesting it's a reliable filter, right?
No problem. Its not as big as you might think - i run two on a 17g on full flow and it isnt a tsunami in there. I do use extra media in them which slows down the flow quite a bit.

just sounded like you had made your mind up on the aquaclear. Never used one (cant get them over here!) but from everything ive read and seen they seem like a good filter. Fluval make them so you cant go too wrong there.

Upvote 0

NBettas83

Thank all of you so much! I looked at the Penn Plax Cascade HOB and at first it looked like one of those cheap ones, but as I looked into it, I might actually get it! I still have yet to look at the Tidal 35. Thank you all so much!

Upvote 0

HupGupp

I'll 2nd the aqua clear - flow adjusts and you can put whatever media you want in the basket - runs quiet too, I sleep in a room with one, no water trickle, just a bit of a hum

Upvote 0

bigbro1959

Aquaclear is all I have ever used. Very good.

Upvote 0

Cawafuoshi

The TopFin Silentstreams I've been buying have proved to not be the best, so as a result I will probably need another filter. What are some suggestions for reliable Hang On Back Filters that will be suitable for a 10 Gallon? Also, I would like them to be quiet, a slight hum is fine, but a loud buzz or rattle will drive me insane. Also, there needs to be little or no risk of a leak or burst as I cannot deal with that or clean it up most likely. Thanks in advance!
What are your reoccurring problems with the TopFins?

I love mine; granted it only has been two months.

Upvote 0

Idkitsathrowaway

Not exactly sure if it would fit but I LOVE Seachem Tidal filters. they make a 35. They're self priming, QUIET, and SUPER good! 10 min on there website Im brand loal now! They really take care of design and make sure it works! only bad thing its not shrimp safe...

Upvote 0

Nickguy5467

i absolutely enjoy the Tidal 55 i have. so much space for media (i just stuffed a bunch of sponges in it, with the bag on top). has a cleaning indicator and flow control is nice. and the things Idkitsathrowaway said :p. my snails like to climb in it sometimes though. but they have no way to get down into or passed the basket anyway so they just end up crawling out, because i packed it with sponge. they just like the feel i guess

Upvote 0

NBettas83

Check into the Penn Plax Cascade hob's. I am running a Cascade 80 on my 5 gallon betta tank. All of the sizes have adjustable water flow. It's very quiet, and with the larger sizes (the 80 and up), there is room for other filter media. I have an extra piece of cut foam filter, and I have used some polishing pad as well. Since it comes with the cartridge, I just have that stuck in there as well.

You can check them out on amazon.
I don't want to necropost, but is there any chance you have ever encountered slow flow on that filter? It starts drizzling at the end of every week and I have to clean the impeller to improve the flow, but I still can't get it flowing very well.

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

I don't want to necropost, but is there any chance you have ever encountered slow flow on that filter? It starts drizzling at the end of every week and I have to clean the impeller to improve the flow, but I still can't get it flowing very well.
I only had that issue with the impeller when I added roobios tea to my tank. When the flow slows down, I usually just squeeze out the sponge filter that I have attached to my intake, and it flows well again.

I think it has been running for about 8 months now, and I have only had to clean the impeller once. And that was when I decided to stop using roobios tea.

Upvote 0

NBettas83

I only had that issue with the impeller when I added roobios tea to my tank. When the flow slows down, I usually just squeeze out the sponge filter that I have attached to my intake, and it flows well again.

I think it has been running for about 8 months now, and I have only had to clean the impeller once. And that was when I decided to stop using roobios tea.
Hmm, weird.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Magtom
Replies
Views