Need a new name - Page 4

bassbonediva

He is SOOO expressive!! It makes figuring out what's going on in his head extremely easy.

Jen was amazed and thrilled and relieved! Cam had her all prepared for this to be a rodeo, but it was so smooth, you'd think he was just getting a tune-up!

Do you notice how Jen isn't even really plough reining?! She's most of the time either neck reining with leg pressure or has her hands in a good solid English set.

The video is not cooperating!! It's rather large (is 7.5 minutes, which equates to 748MB) and I don't have room in my Photobucket account for it. I can't use YouTube because it apparently has to access through Google and Gmail and my computer doesn't like Google or Gmail (or any search engine site, actually).

LyndaB

Such a good student!

bassbonediva

Cam kept berating the other little two-year-old gelding that is getting trained at the same time Aires is on Thursday (Beau had his second ride on Thursday). He was having a hard time even grasping the concept of plough-reining and Cam had to spur him to get him to move. Cam kept telling him "Why can't you take a lesson from Aires on how a real horse performs?!"

We have officially decided that Aires is some sort of weird horse/human/dog mutant hybrid thing. lol We can thank Jen for coining that phrase after I mentioned that my horse was better than Beau about listening and she said "You don't have a horse. You have some sort of weird horse/human/dog mutant hybrid thing."

LyndaB

If you decide you're not into mutant whatevers, I suppose I could be forced to take him off your hands....

bassbonediva

Okay, I'm having dilemmas now.

According to other boarders at our stable, Cam requires that horses be shod in order to go up the trails on Granite Mountain (google it to see what the trails are like...I would, but no search engines work on my computer). That means there's only one trail we can go on because it doesn't require shoes, but we might be losing access to that trail because the lady whose property we have to cross to get to the trailhead is being stupid. So, basically I won't be able to ride my "superhorse" except in the arena, unless this business with the Deep Well Ranch trail is cleared up (the one the lady is being stupid about...we have to ride through a ravine on her property in order to get to the trailhead and she is complaining about people "galloping" through the ravine...not true...the most anyone has ever done is trot through it).

LyndaB

You weren't going to have him shod?

Shine

People are so weird. Even if people were 'galloping through the ravine'--so what? What difference could it make? Funny thing is that most (non-horse) people have no idea what the gaits are, so anything faster then a walk becomes a "gallop"

Not that I don't know the type. I've seen people near the one stables get strange about riders in their fields.... after the crops are off. Really? What does it hurt? Nothing except their sense of ownership that I can see (also known as power-tripping)

Aren't you moving later this year anyway? If so there isn't much need to worry about the requirements if you'd prefer if Aires wasn't shod. Personally I feel if a horse has structurally sound feet there's no reason to mess with them.

bassbonediva

Nope. I don't see a reason to. He has large, hard feet. Even Ramey, the farrier, commented on how he wished every horse he did had feet like Aires 'cuz then he'd never have to put shoes on them (yes, it makes him more money, but it's a pain for him). Dakota wasn't shod (after we had to put corrective shoes on him because of the horrible trim job his owners' farrier did on him) and he was fine. My friend, Carli, has all her horses barefoot, when it's possible. She has two horses that HAVE to be shod (an OTTB who goes "lame" if he isn't shod on all four and her arab mare she tried to give me who gets stone bruises just from walking around and has to have leather pads), but her other two are barefoot.

I'm the same way, Shine. Not sure when I'll be moving...hopefully it'll be the first of next year.

As for the lady...she's apparently a heavy drinker and is always complaining about something. Unless Cam finds us another route to Deep Well, the only place I can ride other than Granite Mountain is the arena...without trailering, that is (which Aires doesn't trailer...yet).

LyndaB

I've seen people near the one stables get strange about riders in their fields.... after the crops are off. Really? What does it hurt? Nothing except their sense of ownership that I can see (also known as power-tripping)

Maybe the property owners are looking at it from an insurance point of view. Unless they have a waiver from every rider saying they can not be held accountable in case of injury, I think I'd be pretty worried too.

bassbonediva

Arizona state law alleviates property owners from any legal obligation when involved in or hosting any equine activity. This includes property owners who allow riders to use their land to access trails and the like. Cam has that particular statute posted in just about every visible place in the barn. lol

LyndaB

Then maybe with that woman, it's a matter of her believing people are being disrespectful of her property (complaining about galloping). Either that, or her panties are in a huge bunch! :;bb

bassbonediva

I'm thinking it's a bit of both. My friend went on a trail ride with Jen, the barn trainer, and Dave, one of the boarders, out to Deep Well and the lady actually made a point to come out of the house just to yell at them because Christina (my friend) let CJ (her new arab gelding) half trot up the steep incline leading out of the ravine on their way back. She kept going on and on about how someone has been "galloping" through the ravine. We think we know who it is, though. There's a boarder who has a morgan mare who rides out that way all the time (can't afford to get her shod) and all he basically does is trot and canter her the whole time. There's also another boarder who doesn't come out as often who goes out Deep Well who trots his horse the whole way too. Cam has already said that he's going to look for an alternative route to get out to Deep Well, so hopefully there will either be a compromise with the lady or he'll find another route.

Shine

or her panties are in a huge bunch! :;bb
--I'm going with this line ;D

I get the first point though Lynda... even if I think its really stupid. Trotting, cantering, or even--heaven forbid--galloping doesn't really do any harm. Not unless you are charging over her garden or something. My personal pet-peeve for inconsiderate people has always been the ones that drive by my place and throw fast food bags out into the ditch. And I live at the edge of town, so usually they are within a half mile from their own homes (and incidentally, garbage cans)

I've never shod any of my horses. Not even the one I was doing endurance riding with. I know there are horses out there that truly need it, but if they don't I figure its better for their hooves, legs etc to go 'au natural'

bassbonediva

I've never shod any of my horses. Not even the one I was doing endurance riding with. I know there are horses out there that truly need it, but if they don't I figure its better for their hooves, legs etc to go 'au natural'

I'm the same way, Shine. I don't see the point unless they "need" it (like my friend's OTTB who thinks the world is ending if he doesn't have shoes on...or Remi, her arab mare, who gets stone bruises on flat ground with no rocks in sight).

I talked to Jen today (the trainer) and asked her about the "shoes required" policy. She said that there's no way Cam can make you put shoes on your horse. He does all his horses, but doesn't expect anyone else to do theirs.

One of the biggest reasons (other than cost and it being unnecessary) that I didn't want to shoe Aires is that the other horses at our barn that are shod have a REALLY hard time on the paved roads and slip all the time. Winston, the belgian/QH cross that belongs to another boarder, and Hopi, another boarder's QH gelding, both went down on their hind ends a couple of weeks ago coming down one of the hills on the paved road behind the stable. Any time we go out on a trail walk with Cassie and Christina, Cassie is constantly slipping down the hills, while Aires has absolutely no problem. At first, Christina attributed it to the steepness of the hills and cautioned me to watch Aires because he could slip...then I noticed that he didn't slip and Cassie (who is shod in front) did. When I pointed it out, she made the connection that both HopI and Winston are shod on all four, which is probably why they slipped on that hill.

Okay, so here's something funny that I think you guys will appreciate. Cam has never been what I'd consider "friendly" with me. If I ask a question, he'll answer, but he never just talks to me. On the other hand, he LOVES Christina and will chat with her all day long. Last Thursday, when I came back to the stable after having been to the ER and all that, he teased me and asked me how long I was going to milk my injury. I told him "As long as it gets someone else to clean my stall." He just grunted a laugh. So, yesterday I'm at the stable just hanging out because Christina had gone on a trail ride. I told Cam that when he got a minute, I needed to pay my board. So, about 20 minutes later, he comes up to me and says "Okay, your turn. You're using your card, right? Got it on you?" I said "yeah" and pulled it out of my back pocket. He goes "Give it to me and I'll go run it for you. $350, right?" I said "yeah" again and then said "You don't have to bring it out to me, I can walk that far" and laughed. He says "No, don't worry about it. You just sit right there. I don't want you walking anymore than you have to. I'll bring it out to you." I was actually really touched by it! Then today, I kinda teased him and said "You know, Cam, I'm happy they gave me this boot." He goes "Why's that?" I said "Because it's called a CAM boot!" He nodded all approvingly and said "Must be good then. Does it have a Cam in it?" I said "Well, it must...it's all stiff!" He goes "Is it old and crotchity too?" I said "Well, I wasn't gonna say it, but since you did..." He says "There's nothin' wrong with speakin' the truth" and just grinned at me. Soooo...it's official! Cam likes me!! Apparently it took me getting thrown from a horse to accomplish it, but there it is! lol

bassbonediva

Not huge news, but something good that happened today...

Tacked up Aires and lunged him in the round pen for a while. We switched from a copper single joint snaffle to a regular french link snaffle (that's a little thicker on the ends than the french links I've used before). I want to keep Aires' mouth nice and light like it is and the french link is a little bit milder bit than the regular single joint. I also had the problem of Aires constantly chewing on the copper snaffle, which annoyed the heck out of me. Anyway, Aires LOVES the french link (no chewing at all!) and is SO responsive to it. He wasn't ridden today (as much as I'd love to, I can't mount with this stupid CAM boot on), but I asked him to yield both ways and he did at the slightest touch. I also asked him to stop using the reins as we were exiting the round pen and as soon as I barely put pressure on the reins, he stopped. Sooo happy about that! I have been told I have really light hands (from when I was riding Dakota...my friend, Carli, had to force me to use a heavier hand because Dakota couldn't feel what I was asking him to do lol), so the fact that Aires is so responsive to the french link makes me happy!

Also, apparently he was being really head-shy with Christina today. She turned him out for me and said he jerked his head up when she went to put his halter on, then that he tried to jerk away and take off on her when she took his halter off when she got him into the turnout. That surprises me because he usually stands there quietly until I remove his lead rope (I usually leave his halter on, for convenience-sake) and then he'll take off. When I went to catch him, I did have to pull him away from the fence because he was reaching through to snack on the neighbor's "lawn" (which is more weeds than lawn), but he wasn't head-shy and certainly wasn't being a little jerk like she said.

Shine

Doesn't sound all that unusual to me. Some horses just decide to play games with certain people. Kestrel is one of them. He is living at my parent's place right now, and so sees both my parents daily. Far more then he sees me that's for sure. But he has decided that my mom is wonderful.... and that my dad is not allowed to get near him in the corral. He acts just fine in a stall, or once someone else catches him.... but good luck if my dad wants to put bug wipe on him, or put a halter on. Little game-playing brat!

Great that you are finding out the tack that works well for Aires. Sucks that the boot is holding you up though :-\

bassbonediva

I'm very glad we're figuring out stuff like bits now instead of when we're actually riding, to be honest. Christina has gone through two bits and three hackamores with her mare, Cassie, in the last two months just to find the one that works best.

I'm able to walk more on my ankle, though! It's only if I rest for a while (with my foot down) and then try to walk without the boot that I have issues. First thing in the morning, though, I can walk pretty okay without it. I love being a fast healer!

bassbonediva

Okay, so I'm REALLY hoping I can win this saddle on Friday!!

It's exactly what I've been wanting (except I'd really prefer if it didn't have a horn, but I can live with the horn, to be completely honest)...and the price is right because Aires will probably outgrow it in a year or so anyway.

LyndaB

It's beautiful. Keeping fingers crossed for you!

bassbonediva

Thanks, Lynda! It's actually not a horrible brand, either. I'd prefer an Australian Stock Saddle Company saddle because I know how high quality they are (a friend has one) and I have spoken to the owner of the company, but beggars can't be choosers. lol I was thinking about the horn last night, and I'm wondering if I can't saw off the horn and put a concho over where it was. Horns on Aussie saddles are mainly decorative anyway.

I really don't get why people bid on something when there's more than a few hours left on the auction! Do they really think they're going to win by placing a bid four days before the auction closes?! Seriously! The price on that saddle is up to $31 plus shipping (which still isn't bad, but geez!).

LyndaB

I snipe my bids. Shhhhhhhhhhh..... don't tell.

If you're going to do endurance rides, you might be happy that you have that horn.

bassbonediva

"Snipe your bids"? I don't think I'm familiar with that term.

The saddle I was looking at (the black one) is already out of my price range for bidding. It's at $51 plus the $45 shipping and I can only afford $100 right now. There's another similar saddle (same size, manufacturer and seller) that was just put up today that's tan and brown. It ends in just under five days. Gonna keep an eye on it and see if it stays cheaper. lol

Akari_32

I snipe my bids. Shhhhhhhhhhh..... don't tell.

If you're going to do endurance rides, you might be happy that you have that horn.

I don't know what that means either LOL

I agree, horns a nice to hold on to at times

I hope you find another saddle. And nice pics! He's getting big <3 It seems he's learning that men are ok too lol

bassbonediva

He's always loved Cam. He and Cam are buds. lol Seriously, Cam is more gentle with him than he is with the other gelding that's being broke right now. Cam's son told me that Aires is Cam's favorite of all his rescues that he's done and that he wouldn't sell him to just anyone.

He went through a MASSIVE growth spurt recently. He's no longer downhill (in fact, he's getting a little more UPHILL every day! lol) and his head has grown so much that I'm having to have a custom rope halter made for him.

He's such a goob. He has been so nosey and affectionate the past couple of days! If I'm around his stall or in his stall (and don't have a rake with me...he hates rakes for some reason), he is practically in my lap!

bassbonediva

Gah! It seems like everyone is getting to ride my horse except for me! I bugged Cam to finish Aires up for me soon (like before I am cleared to ride again), so he said tomorrow he's going to have Jenn work with him for a couple of hours during the day. And guess what? I have to work from 8:30am to 4pm! Grrrr! At least Christina said she'd take pics for me. *sigh*

bassbonediva

Well, I have yet another person who is willing to take Aires off my hands if I can't keep him at any point. lol Jenn has officially fallen in love with him. She rode him today and got him trotting. She said that he has the smoothest trot she has EVER ridden! He also turns on a DIME, and even gives you change. All you have to do is think about which way you want to turn and he automatically turns his whole body (or at least it feels that way lol). She told Christina that there are only two horses on the property that she would consider buying and Aires is definitely number one of those two.

So, some pics from today. Sorry, they're poopy cell phone pics. I can't find the SD card for my camera and Christina can't find her camera either.

I'm going to go buy a new SD card in the morning because Jenn is going to ride Aires for the first time in the arena! I managed to switch shifts with a coworker, so I'll be able to be at the stable all day until about 1:30pm (Jenn has to leave at 2pm anyway to pick up her kids from school).

bassbonediva

Alrighty! Had to get a card reader adapter because my stupid laptop doesn't read SD cards (HATE!), so these are a day late. lol

Aires was ridden by Jenn yesterday in the arena and he was great! He was being a little turd when I saddled him and we went to round pen him. It took three of us PLUS a lunge whip to get him into the round pen! Usually he's reluctant, but nothing like that. There was a minor communication problem (Jenn was saying "reverse" to get him to change directions and I have him trained on "switch," so he wasn't sure what she wanted). She lunged him for a little while and then we went down to the arena. His biggest "problem" in the arena was that he wasn't moving forward off leg pressure (hey, it's his second ride and he's two...we cut him some slack) and he wasn't yielding to the bit very well (he would spin in a circle when she tried to get him to yield). Anyway, picture time!

Jenn was not moving in the saddle AT ALL when Aires trotted! We were joking with her and said that you wouldn't even have to wear a bra with a trot like that and Jenn goes "I'm not!" We were dying laughing, but seriously, you wouldn't have known she wasn't when he was trotting.

My camera fails at action pics, but this is him trotting Jenn is posting in this pic, but the ONLY reason is to get him used to the movement of someone posting. There was absolutely no need for her to post at all.

bassbonediva

Doing his best dressage horse impersonation...pretty darned good, if you ask me!

When Jenn asked him to canter, she said all she had to do was kiss slightly and he immediately started off. All those hours of round pen work finally paid off! She was expecting a major fight to get him to canter.

Akari_32

What a cutie! He seems to be learning quick =D

Is it just me, or does he need to grow into his head a bit? Like a puppy has to grow into its paws?

I love how he stood on that bridge LOL He's like "HOT LAVA!!!" XD

bassbonediva

His head has ALWAYS been big for his body. lol I'm a member of a horse forum and a chick posted a pic of her 3yo 15.3hh percheron/TB cross gelding. I was like "Wow...Aires is two and is almost that tall...and his head is bigger!" He definitely got the Percheron build/looks with the paint coloring (for which I am grateful because his dad is FUGLY!)

He loves the trail bridge! I just happened to catch that second pic as he was stopping, so it looks really awkward. He's squared up for that third pic after she released him.

Jenn said he is an incredibly fast learner. You only have to show him something once and he picks it up just about perfectly.

Akari_32

His head has ALWAYS been big for his body. lol I'm a member of a horse forum and a chick posted a pic of her 3yo 15.3hh percheron/TB cross gelding. I was like "Wow...Aires is two and is almost that tall...and his head is bigger!" He definitely got the Percheron build/looks with the paint coloring (for which I am grateful because his dad is FUGLY!)

He loves the trail bridge! I just happened to catch that second pic as he was stopping, so it looks really awkward. He's squared up for that third pic after she released him.

Jenn said he is an incredibly fast learner. You only have to show him something once and he picks it up just about perfectly.

LOL Maybe more head = more brains...? Kinda seems that way for him anyway XD Its good that he's a fast learner, makes life a lot easier!

I didnt even see that third pic! >.< Oops LOL Yeah, that one looks better

bassbonediva

Yeah, Jenn was impressed with everything but his moving off leg pressure. He's done it before, so I think it was just a case of him being a silly-head yesterday. It was funny 'cuz we were sitting there watching and she stopped him, then a few seconds later we see her leaning forward with this look of concentration on her face. We asked her what she was doing and she goes "I'm squeezing as hard as I can to get him to move forward!" She had gradually increased the pressure from a gentle squeeze to where she was at and even had to go as far as pulling her legs out eight inches from his side and whacking him on the sides, alternating legs (sounds worse than it actually was, really). He just stood there with this look like "Wow. This lady is crazy." But didn't move an inch. As soon as he DID move out, she let up the pressure to let him know he had done as she asked. Toward the end of the ride, he was doing better (only had to get to the bent-in-half-squeezing-as-hard-as-she-could point rather than the kicking-the-bejeezus-out-of-hI'm point), but still not great.

Akari_32

Yeah, Jenn was impressed with everything but his moving off leg pressure. He's done it before, so I think it was just a case of him being a silly-head yesterday. It was funny 'cuz we were sitting there watching and she stopped him, then a few seconds later we see her leaning forward with this look of concentration on her face. We asked her what she was doing and she goes "I'm squeezing as hard as I can to get him to move forward!" She had gradually increased the pressure from a gentle squeeze to where she was at and even had to go as far as pulling her legs out eight inches from his side and whacking him on the sides, alternating legs (sounds worse than it actually was, really). He just stood there with this look like "Wow. This lady is crazy." But didn't move an inch. As soon as he DID move out, she let up the pressure to let him know he had done as she asked. Toward the end of the ride, he was doing better (only had to get to the bent-in-half-squeezing-as-hard-as-she-could point rather than the kicking-the-bejeezus-out-of-hI'm point), but still not great.

LOL Maybe he needs some sort of motivation...? I'd say an apple or something, but I know how Cam is about treats XD

bassbonediva

I've gotten the same way about treats with him (and he doesn't like apples, BTW lol). Jenn's mom gave him a treat a couple of weeks ago and he's been soooo pushy ever since if he thinks you have treats.

His motivation is going to be a light touch of spurs (from Jenn, not me) until he starts working off leg pressure like we want and a riding crop (just a light touch, no beating). He'll get it soon enough.

Akari_32

Lol little brat! I guess its a good thing he doesn't get treats very often then XD I don't think I've ever met a horse that doesn't like apple =O Weird

That's kinda how I've got my dogs trained to follow me if they aren't paying attention. I just lightly touch the back of their head as I'm walking away. With the treat obessed creatures, you gotta get creative XD

Shine

Well, better to need some 'motivation' rather then get frantic at any unexpected touch. I've got the opposite to Aires with my boy. I have him pretty much on 'voice activation' because he over-reacts to everything. I don't even touch him for trot, or canter: just say the word and he is off.

Nice pics of the arena session. Its great that you could arrange to be there after all I don't know how anyone can stand sending their horse off to be trained--I'd want to be able to watch every minute!

bassbonediva

I know, Shine! I was a wreck the whole time they were riding him on Thursday! lol I wanted to be there soooooooo badly!

As for needing some motivation...I honestly think he may just have been testing Jenn. She kept saying "He was not this bad yesterday." Not that he was really *that* bad, but bad for him. lol

Akari, I gave him an apple core on Friday when I got there because I didn't want to walk all the way over to the trash can and he sniffed it, lipped it and then let it drop on the ground. This is the horse that is a literal vacuum cleaner when it comes to his hay and eats every single tiny scrap he can get his lips on.

Akari_32

As for needing some motivation...I honestly think he may just have been testing Jenn. She kept saying "He was not this bad yesterday." Not that he was really *that* bad, but bad for him. lol

Thats, true, he couls have been. Didnt even think of that. I haven't had to train anything (I usually stick with dogs XD) in years, so I forget about how they like like to see what they can get away with LOL

Akari, I gave him an apple core on Friday when I got there because I didn't want to walk all the way over to the trash can and he sniffed it, lipped it and then let it drop on the ground. This is the horse that is a literal vacuum cleaner when it comes to his hay and eats every single tiny scrap he can get his lips on.

Weirdo

GemstonePony

Emmy, a horse that used to be in my life'() didn't like apples either. Come to think of it, I also don't think she liked carrots. She ate store-bought horse treats and sugar-cubes though. That was also a horse that, when young, would charge anyone who looked small and scared(and ran as a result), and even if you established your boss-hood she would test it fairly frequently(not by charging, though, just small stuff). Also the smartest horse her trainers said they ever met.

Shine

When I got Kest he was about 5 and had never been given treats... thus he wouldn't eat carrots or apples. I think he thought I was trying to poison him or something For whatever reason I couldn't let that stand, as I needed a bribe to convince him that coming to be haltered was a good idea (or that's my excuse anyway ) I started by grating them into his oats. Just a tiny bit at a time, because if there was too many he wouldn't eat them. Once he got used to the flavour, I started using slightly larger shavings etc and moved my way up. He loves them all now, naturally

You know you're nuts when you train your horse to eat treats!

bassbonediva

My friend's arab gelding (not Christina, another friend lol) doesn't like apples. He looks at you like you're trying to poison him when you give them to him. He'll do just about anything for a carrot, though. Aires likes carrots well enough, but his favorite are the oat and apple treats we have. He'll gobble those up.

Going to see if one of the local used tack shops has an aussie saddle I can try on Aires tomorrow. The one we're going to usually has a couple on consignment. If there's one that fits him and fits me, I might ask if we can do kind of a "layaway" type deal, depending on the price.

LyndaB

"Snipe your bids"? I don't think I'm familiar with that term.

What you do is enter your highest bidding price. Then, within 3 or so seconds of the auction ending, they "snipe" your bid for you. You don't even have to be logged onto a computer. This helps keep the final price from escalating too much and avoids bidding wars. I use this tool for all my ebay auction purchases.

bassbonediva

Oh, nice! I'm gonna have to do that!

On a different note...I found a saddle today! It's an older Australian stock saddle that was at a local tack consignment shop. It doesn't have a horn, fits me AND it fits Aires perfectly (they let you do a 24-hour trial as long as you leave your credit card number). I didn't climb up in it, but I did lunge Aires with it on to see his sweat pattern. It was PERFECT! It doesn't come with stirrups (no big deal...Christina bought a pair of endurance stirrups today and is letting us have the regular Western stirrups off her saddle until I can get my own endurance stirrups) or an overgirth (which I'm not sure is necessary?) or a regular girth, but whoever had it converted the girth to Western and Christina happens to have a trail cinch that she bought for her old gelding that she said we could have. Anyway, the people are asking $250 for it, but since it's been there for about six months, the lady at the shop suggested I offer them $125 for it. I'm really hoping they'll take the $125 for it!!

GemstonePony

Awesome! Hope you get it for 125(or less )

bassbonediva

Well, I don't think I'd go less, really. The tack shop gets $50 as a consignment fee and I really don't want to cheat the people out of any money. lol

bassbonediva

Sweet! The lady accepted my offer of $125! Now just to sell my tanks which is not going very well! I have them priced insanely low for what they are. So, the lady at the tack store has my saddle sitting on hold.

Here's some pics of it on Aires. I hate that pad that it comes with. It's WAY too long for the saddle.

LyndaB

Sweet saddle! Have I mentioned that I want this horse?

bassbonediva

You wouldn't have wanted him yesterday, trust me! He was being such a little dunderhead! I put my red AP saddle pad on him to see if it would fit the saddle and he acted like he'd never seen ANY saddle pad before in his entire life. When I went to put the saddle on him, he pulled back so "hard" (he wasn't really tied 'cuz I usually don't have to, so his lead rope was just wrapped around the hitching rail) that he came untied. Then, I ditched the idea of the AP pad because he wouldn't let me within 3 feet of him with it, so I grabbed the pad that came with the saddle and tried to put it on him. I ended up having to actually hard-tie him (meaning tie a quick-release knot that *he* couldn't untie just be pulling back) because he kept shying away from the pad that he'd had on yesterday with no problem at all. When I went to put the pad on him after I tied him, he actually sat back on his lead and PULLED! First time I've EVER seen him pull like that. Once I got the pad on, he calmed down, but then he kept dancing away from me when I tried to put the saddle on. Once I got it on, he was fine.

I totally love that saddle! I love that it has enough tooling on it to make it "purdy," but not enough to be a pain to clean. I want to get different stirrups, definitely. The ones that I have on there came off Christina's western saddle. She bought a pair of endurance stirrups, so she's letting me use her old western stirrups. I can't decide if I want endurance stirrups (found a pair of used endurance stirrups at the same place I'm getting my saddle for $10) or the four-bar irons that come on most Aussie saddles. I think I might get a pair of each and change them out based on what I'm doing (the irons for schooling in the arena and the endurance stirrups for the trail). I love how easy it is to change the stirrups on my saddle. There's just one regular buckle on the leathers to adjust them or change out the stirrups.

Shine

Nice to know I'm not the only one with a horse that 'suddenly' decides that a saddle blanket is scary. In Kest's case however, he usually picks when I'm taking it off to go what he heck is that thing??... which makes even less sense then Aires' conniption as he saw me put it on before riding him and didn't react then.

Great price for that saddle, it looks like it suits him well. Too bad you aren't trying to sell those tanks up here. I'd bet they'd be gone in a couple days--the 46 probably in one.

LyndaB

How much longer til you're released to ride?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Flowingfins
  • Horse
Replies
Views
Flowingfins
  • Fishtail
  • Horse
Replies
Views
cb23
  • Dandee