Need a new name

bassbonediva

So, I finally have a horse. After all the drama with Dakota, the gelding I was working with at my friend's barn, and then her offering me her five-year-old mare, I decided to take a break from horses and concentrate on work. Well, I'm going to be moving in the next couple of weeks (will still be in the same area, but will be much closer to my work) and I'm moving in with a friend of mine (actually into her guest house, but yeah). Anyway, my friend that I'm moving in with has an arabian mare that she is moving from our other friend's barn to a stable closer to her house and she took me along to see the stable last week when she put the deposit down on her stall. Well, needless to say I got bitten by the horse bug again and started thinking about leasing a horse. The stable she's at has horses for lease, but it's like $185 a month for 16 hours of ride time, which really isn't all that much. So, my friend and I went out today to talk to the owner of the stable about which horses were for lease and such and he goes "Would you rather lease or own?" Well, honestly, I'd rather own, but I can't afford the large cost associated with outright buying a horse right now. So, he looks at me for a minute (he's an old cowboy, so he's really good at the John Wayne-like scrutinizing look) and then says "Do you prefer a certain age or gender?" I do prefer geldings, but if the horse is right, the age doesn't matter that much. He starts to lead me outside and says "I'm not sure if I should do this, but let me show you a horse I have for sale." So, he leads me to this stall outside with this GORGEOUS, rather large black and white paint colt in it. He's already about 15.2-15.3hh and he's only 2-years-old! He isn't gelded yet, but the owner of the stable has a voucher for a free gelding from one of the local vets that he is going to use for Charlie (the colt). He hasn't been started under saddle yet (the owner of the stable doesn't believe in putting a saddle on a horse until they're AT LEAST 2), but I will be getting 30 days of free professional training with him. Due to his temperament (he is really like a HUGE puppy!), the owner of the stable and their resident trainer both stated that within a month they could have him ready to ride trails (which is basically what I want to do). He's going to be a VERY big boy. His sire was a spotted draft horse that was 16.3hh and his dam was a purebred percheron (haven't seen many under 17hh, although their standard says 16.2hh is their shortest). Anyway, I fell in love after I went into his stall and he came over, laid his nose against my chest, moved his top lip around a little and then promptly chomped down on my shirt with this look on his face like "Hi! I got you! Whatcha gonna do about it?!" (what I did about it was flick him on the nose to make him let go...he let go and looked at me like "Well, fine. Spoil sport.") Anyway, he was "rescued" from a farm up in Canada that had anticipated a better sales year on their foals than they had and ended up with something like two dozen foals that they were just going to send to the slaughter house. So, the owner of the stable contacted them, drove up there, picked up four of the foals and drove all the way back to Arizona. The awesome part is that the owner of the stable is going to accept payments on him (with the stipulation that he can't permanently leave the property until he's paid for...which was a big "well duh" for me when I heard that)!

So anyway, I don't particularly care for his name right now. "Charlie" just sounds so "good ole boy" and old cowboy to me. I don't know why. So, I'm looking for help with new names for him. I have a pic taken with my phone of the picture that the stable owner gave me, which will give you an idea of his coloring/pattern and what he looks like. This pic is from when he was about a month or so old, I think.

So, bring on the ideas! I don't want anything corny or cheesy, please.

Aquarist

Good morning,

This link will give you some name suggestions. Congrats! Beautiful horse!

Ken

LyndaB

We need a picture of him as he looks NOW! Paints are my fave. My dream is to have one some day. Isn't it funny how these things work out.....

He looks like a Comet or Major to me.....

I'd be so nervous about buying a horse that I couldn't tack up and ride first. I mean, that's the only way to know if he'll have comfortable gaits and all.

GemstonePony

I agree, we need recent pics!
hehe, his baby photo reminds me of a foal I used to care for name "Mocha,"(her full name was was "chocolate mocha freeze" or something like that).

LyndaB

Oh yeah, you reminded me that he needs a long absurd name..... how about..... hmmmmmmmmmm.... cocoa swirl brownie a la mode..... you can call him "a la" for short.

I'm no good with horse names..... my first, a palomino, was J Copperfield, the second, a white arabian, was April and the last, a morgan X, was Barney. April and Barney came named already. I named Copper after a restaurant chain.

Shine

Yep... NEED a current photo! lol ~congrats!

You're really pulling a switch--Arabs to Draft cross! The marking on his face looks like the continent of South America; so maybe something like Brazil, Peru, Chile (its close to charlie ).... Cuzco/Kuzco, Salvador, Santiago, Rio, Buenos Aires...

It'd be kind of funny actually--he came from Canada, moved to the States, and named after something in SAmerica

LyndaB

Oh I like Salvador.... sounds very suave and debonair.....

bassbonediva

I'm going to tear my bedroom apart in the morning and try to find my camera, then go out and take pics of him. I went in his stall today and brushed him down. He LOVES being brushed, but he does have a bad habit of nibbling, which turns into biting. He got whacked on the nose several times for trying to bite my butt while I was working on his hindquarters. It definitely wasn't a malicious bite (I've been on the receiving end of those kind before). It was more of a...I don't know...love nibble, as odd as that sounds? lol He picks up his feet okay, but he doesn't particularly like them held, but he's only had his feet done once (four months ago...and they're just now needing to be done again!).

Anyway, my friend and I were throwing around names today and here are my top three (so far)...

1-KaI (my favorite jazz trombone player is KaI Wynding and KaI means "attractive" in Hawaiian)
2-Nicodemus (nickname would be Nick)
3-Gaidin (anyone who knows the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan knows this name)

bassbonediva

Okay, I have pics of him, but they're on my camera and it's out in the truck and I am too tired and sunburned to go get it right now. lol Anyway, I got to work a little bit with him today. Just wanted to see how he was being led. So, I took my friend's large halter that she so graciously gave me and went into his stall. He didn't freak, but he was clearly uncertain about the halter and would edge away from me every time I came close with it. Some gentle coaxing (petting him with the halter in the hand petting him helped A LOT) and a few treats later, he allowed me to slip the halter on him...and the halter was almost too small for him! This halter was bought for my friend's 16.1hh appaloosa gelding who had a rather large head and it was too big for her gelding, so she never used it (she ended up selling the gelding and getting an arab mare instead who is barely big enough to be considered a horse lol). On my boy, it was on the last hole and was still really snug on him. So, I'm going to have to get him a draft-sized halter. He has such a big head! lol Anyway, I led him around his stall a few times (he is in a 16ft by 20ft open stall that is half covered), then my friend opened the gate and away we went. I could tell he hadn't been on a lead in a while because he has barely any stop, but he is absolutely rock solid. There are flags on either side of the driveway to the stable as they were flapping in the wind as we walked by. Most of the horses spooked at them, but he didn't even give them a second glance. We were walking down the road (the stable is on a very quiet side road) and this little kid came tearing up the road behind us on his bicycle. I stopped right before the kid reached us, not knowing he was there, and my boy half-turned and caught the kid's movement out of the corner of his eye. Most horses I know would have spooked completely at something like that, even the more solid of them. My boy barely flinched. I was absolutely amazed! It was funny 'cuz the guy that owns the stable is a real old cowboy type and as we were walking back from our little "adventure" down the road, he looks at me as he's sitting on the chairs out in front of the main barn and says "I told you he was halter broke." Now if I can just teach him some brakes! And we definitely need to work on his biting...A LOT! He was taken away from his momma and the herd way too early and didn't learn any manners of what is acceptable and what isn't, and then was brought somewhere where everyone babied him, so he is used to getting away with murder. The problem is that smacking him on the nose doesn't phase him in the slightest.

Anyway...I'm down two names for him...

Kai-Same reason as above

or

Buenos Aires-I'd call him Aires (but pronounced like Aries, the Greek god of war).

LyndaB

You're too tired and we have to suffer? What gives?

Can't wait to see him in all his grown up handsomeness....

bassbonediva

"Grown up" is hardly the word for it, Lynda! lol He is so gawky still. His head is huge, but his body hasn't caught up with it yet. His body is very proportionate...if you don't take into account his head. Or his dinner plate feet.

Shine

lol--Draft types have a look 'all their own' don't they? I've only ridden one: a clyde cross. And her movement at a canter was as close to 'rocking horse' as I have ever seen.

I like both your current name pics; Kai, because I liked a character on a show with that name, and Aires/Aries is great. After all, weren't the heavy breeds used as war horses during the middle ages? ;D

LyndaB

"Grown up" is hardly the word for it, Lynda! lol He is so gawky still. His head is huge, but his body hasn't caught up with it yet. His body is very proportionate...if you don't take into account his head. Or his dinner plate feet.

sounds like my prom date back in high school.....

bassbonediva

lol--Draft types have a look 'all their own' don't they? I've only ridden one: a clyde cross. And her movement at a canter was as close to 'rocking horse' as I have ever seen.

I like both your current name pics; Kai, because I liked a character on a show with that name, and Aires/Aries is great. After all, weren't the heavy breeds used as war horses during the middle ages? ;D

Shine, what I'm amazed at is how completely different Aires is than his "brother," Petey. They're both two-year-olds, both black and white paints, and both spotted draft/percheron crosses (they share the same sire, so I guess they're half-brothers)...but there the similarities end. Petey was gelded some time ago (six months or so, I think?) because he was acting very much like a stud. I don't even think Aires knows he's a horse! lol Petey has a big bulky draft horse body, but a relatively small head in comparison. Aires has a body like a typical two-year-old percheron (they're rather light and clean at two), but he has this HUGE heavy head. Petey wears a large horse halter...Aires HAS to have a draft halter (tried four halters on him today at the stable and only the draft one fit). Petey is around 14.3hh. Aires is a good solid 15.2hh (asked the owner of the stable today how tall he thought Aires was and that was the answer).

As for his name, I have settled on Aires (as should be obvious from my using that name throughout my post lol). I am going more for the irony of the name, to be honest. My Aires is the complete antithesis of the Greek god of war.

So, as promised, here are some pics of him. They aren't great, but they give you an idea of his size and how he looks now. (We were walking my friend's mare down the road to dry her off some after her ride in the trailer from the old barn to the new stable and Aires' stall is right on the road, which is nice, 'cuz cars and such don't bother him at all).

e_watson09

Congrats he's a gorgeous boy! My horses are named Fancy and Corey.

A couple of my favorite names I've come across have been.....
Stampy
Fly (this horse's registered name was "Teach me to fly" it was super cute)
Remi
Fred (simple and to the point, idk I always have liked this name)
Jello
Gunner

The list goes on and on those are just some that are my favorites

bassbonediva

The mare my friend wanted to give me is named Remi. Her's is short for "Remington Steal," which is her registered name (she's an arab).

LyndaB

He's really gorgeous. That's my kind of horse!!!

bassbonediva

He's such a goob!

I went and signed the papers on him today! Very happy about that. Included in my contract are two clauses which state the seller is going to have him gelded within three months and will give me 20 hours training (for thirty days...that works out to one hour a day, five days a week).

Took him for another walk after I brushed him down in his stall (he doesn't tie yet and it was REALLY windy today). He's so good about standing to be brushed that I'm not even sure he'd notice if he *was* tied, except he likes to look around and see what I'm doing. On our little walk, he did MUCH better with stopping. He "spooked" once when we were walking past the hot walker. The wind kicked up and rattled the hot walker and he shied two steps sideways (toward me, which was away from the hot walk) and then stood there and stared at it like "Try that again! I dare ya!" After that he was a little wary walking past the hot walker, but nothing horrible, and no more spooking. He is just an absolute dream to handle! He's slowly learning that biting is bad. In fact, he didn't try to bite me at all today until I made him stand while we were talking to another lady and he got bored, then he smelled the treats in my pocket.

They are going to start training him really soon (sounded like right away, actually...the owner of the stable said his trainer was asking him when they were going to get to start training Aires [they still call him Charlie] the other day and he said as soon as he got money from me, which was today), so I'm really excited for that. They're going to start him in a split Tom Thumb bit (basically a snaffle with two rollers on each piece of the bit), then eventually they'll work him into a hackamore. All the stable owner's younger horses (that weren't broke to a curb bit first) ride in hackamores.

bassbonediva

Okay, this is turning into my "brag on Aires" thread!

So I took him for another walk today and turned him out into an empty turnout. He immediately rolled (right after I brushed the little bugger!), of course. Got him to trot and canter (not lunging, just "spooking" him...it's a game I used to play with Dakota). O...M...G!!!! He has AMAZING gaits!! He is going to be an absolute DREAM to ride! I decided to walk him down to another turnout past his stall because he gets a little stall sour and wants to just go back to his stall when he knows we're walking that way. He acted a little studdy with me once he realized that we weren't going back to his stall and when he saw the mares down at the end of the row, but all he did was stop and plant his feet. Of course, with as big as he is, him stopping and planting his feet is the same as trying to move a boulder. lol He got a whack on the rump with the end of the lead rope (it's a soft cotton lead) and he realized that I meant business.

Here comes the good part, though! So after I took him out of the second turnout, he was acting a little stall sour again, so we walked past his stall and went toward the main barn. The front part of the barn is devoted to a giant tack room (basically they turned that part of the barn into a walk-through tack room, so when you walk in the barn, that's where you are) and the office and the owners' living quarters are on the right. We stopped at the edge of the concrete walkway leading into the barn (horses are allowed in the barn because there are quarantine stalls on the other end and you have to walk through the front part to get to them) and I let him look around. The owner and his wife were sitting just inside the front part of the barn and were watching us. The owner's wife says "Are you going to try to lead him in? Most horses won't come through the barn at first." It almost sounded like a challenge, so I slowly started leading him forward. We got to the doorway and there's this 3-4" gap in the concrete that's a track that allows the doors to be slid shut in bad weather and the owner's wife goes "Most horses won't cross that. It freaks them out for some reason." Well, I led Aires forward and he didn't even hesitate! Even the owner (who is a dyed-in-the-wool cowboy who still has his first horse) was impressed! I led Aires through the barn until we got to the back of the tack room and it was wide enough for him to turn around. He was a little hesitant, but he didn't spook or balk once! I am so proud of him!! I am a little worried about his vision on his right side, though. I know horses don't see as well on that side (which is why you always approach/mount/do anything from the left), but he seems overly shy about that side when it comes to new things. If someone walks up too quickly or he didn't know they were coming up to that side, he kind of stops and is like "Ack!" Or like when I was leading him through the barn, he kind of walked sideways so he could look at everything on his ride side with his left eye. I've never seen a horse do that.

Shine

I've never heard that they don't see as well with the right eye before. For a prey animal to have one eye that much weaker naturally then the other seems a bit 'off' to me.

Kestrel is certainly more edgy on the right side, but he is the only horse I have ever had that is like that. For him it's just that he is comfortable with people approaching and leading him on the left. That is where we are supposed to be in his flighty little mind... lol--and he really is anxious about change. Other horses (like Shady) are certainly used to being led on the left, but when I swap her over to the right so I can lead both her and Kest at once, she is perfectly calm about it.

Its great to hear that Aires has such a good mind and is generally sensible! lol--despite the beginnings of 'studdish-ness' And turning the thread into "Ode to Aires" sounds perfectly reasonable to me... sharing animal stories is just about my family's pastime. We phone each other to get pet updates; what we are doing is usually summed up in a sentence or two and then the next 1/2 hour is devoted to the furry critters

bassbonediva

I could be wrong, but that's what I was told when I first started working around horses (back when I was 14 or so). It doesn't make sense to me either, but most horses I've been around have been a bit more cautious with their right side than their left. Except that Aires is even more cautious than any horse I've ever met. It may be that he's just not used to the "outside world" (he's been turned out before, but he's never really *been* anywhere).

I had to laugh at my friend with the arab mare that boards at the same place. After I led Aires into and out of the barn without a hitch, she comes up and says "Wanna take bets on who is going to be out on trails first: me or you? My money is on YOU!" This is the doubting Thomas who didn't think Aires could be ready for trails in 30 days.

On a side note...I really wish I could afford the board on two horses. I was given the opportunity to get Dakota back FOR FREE from his owners, but I had already committed to buying Aires and after debating it long and hard, I decided that Aires really is the better choice for me. I want to do trails frequently (twice a week or more) and would love to do hunter (Aires definitely has the movement for it), and Dakota just can't do heavy trails and there is absolutely no way he can jump with his hocks being all messed up. I'd love to take him and turn him into a trail horse/English pleasure horse for my son, though. *sigh* I cried when I had to write the email telling his owners that I couldn't take him.

Shine

Its really one of those 'the gods have twisted senses of humour' moments isn't it? --when you want him they are being possessive, and then when you make the decision to move on, they come crawling back to say they really don't want him after all

There's times that I really don't like people much... or at all I had a friend do something similar to me. Offered part ownership of a mare she knew I really liked... then after 6 mths said that I should buy out the rest as she didn't want the mare anymore. --Seriously!?! that was the whole point of part-ownership... that I wasn't sure I could afford two! *twitch* *twitch*

Anyway, that aside; I think part of the reason horses are often calmer on the left is because we spend so much time on that side. Plus when you are leading them you are between them and any 'threats' that may come on that side. So while they skitter at the 'scary rock' on the left they feel safer because you are between them and it.... while on the right, they are the first 'target'. So when they shy away from the right it also feels more serious because a 1000 pound animal might step on you to get away from whatever they perceive as a threat.

bassbonediva

It appears that Aires' sight is just fine on his right side, he's just apparently REALLY not used to people messing with his right side. Today my friend didn't even think about it and walked around past his right side and when he caught sight of her he tried to crowd over into me and tripped me, which tripped him. lol It was rather comical and my friend was all "What the heck just happened?!" Of course I told her it was all her fault. He also does not like the apple picker (rake used to clean stalls) and he prefers women to men.

We started working on picking up his feet today because he REALLY needs to have his feet done. It's been four months since they've been done, but they aren't as overgrown as you'd expect. He's actually very good about picking them up once you pull up on his fetlock, but he does NOT like having them held up. He's especially bad about his left hind (could have been that it was the last foot I did and he was just fed up with it lol). I got one of my knuckles busted open when he jerked his hoof out of my hand, but other than that, it went pretty well. I need to get the owner of the stable to help me train him to tie so that my friend doesn't have to help me all the time. I had her holding his lead rope while I worked on his feet. I think tomorrow we might try picking his feet and see how he does.

Anyway, because I'm a proud momma with a nice camera, here's some pics of the boy...

Shine

lol--and he was so clean and glossy too! Pretty markings on him, he really does need to grow into his head though

Kest is the same. Weird about his right side. Not when he is tied (anymore that is), but if you are leading him, he reeally doesn't like the second person walking on his right. 2 to the left is fine, but having a two-legs on either side makes him all skittery... like he's trapped or something

LyndaB

Yay, more pics of the handsome guy!

He's just so gorgeous. I absolutely love him and am so pleased for you. Can't wait until training is underway to hear how he's progressing.

bassbonediva

We hit TWO big milestones today!

First milestone was our stop and stand while leading. When I first started with him (Friday), he would just keep going even if I stopped and after about three or four strides (and me hauling back on his halter lol) he would realize that I had stopped. Now he walks just behind my right shoulder (doesn't crowd me at all) and will stop the second I do. He also stands nicely without moving or shifting until I am ready to start walking again. That part is unimaginably HARD for a two-year-old stud.

The second milestone was standing tied! Aires stood tied for the first time today. Well, mostly tied. His lead rope was looped around the hitching rail, but wasn't knotted. I moved four or five feet away and leaned against the next hitching rail over for a couple of minutes, but him being the pocket pony he is, he tried to come over by me after that long. When the lead rope didn't really give (only a little), he just stepped back to the rail and looked at me like "Okay, now what?" The only time he even remotely acted like he was going to sit back on me was when I unlooped his lead rope from the hitching rail. I picked up the rope and started to pull it over the top of the bar and he threw his head up (but not to the end of the length of rope I'd given him) and took two steps back. As soon as I patted his neck to reassure him, he settled right down.

Only one picture today. My friend wasn't with me, so I had my hands too full of Aires to take pics.
Aires standing (mostly) tied. He's investigating the tie ring they have on the rail for horses that constantly pull back (I think it's a Clint Anderson Aussie Tie Ring, actually).

Our next BIG hurdle is picking up his feet and holding them for the farrier. He needs his feet done badly. He'll pick his feet up readily enough, but he DOES NOT like them to be held.

LyndaB

That part is unimaginably HARD for a two-year-old stud.

I'm still having trouble with my 52 year old stud. What should I do.....

bassbonediva

Okay, little minI update. Didn't make it out to the stable today and I miss my boy. Was too busy getting ready to move. Blah!

Anyway, when I was at the stable yesterday, Jenn, the trainer, was talking to me and we got on the subject of saddles (I asked her what kind of saddle she had because I need a lightweight saddle due to my shoulder). She suggested that I break Aires to an English saddle and just ride trails in that (she has an old extra one she'd let me use that she thinks will fit him and she doesn't care if it gets scratched or whatever) because English saddles are much lighter. I love the idea, to be honest. It'll make transitioning to doing hunter/English pleasure down the road much easier.

Here's the funny thing...I told my friend, Christina, that has her mare boarded at the stable, that Jenn had suggested breaking him to an English saddle for trails and her response was "You know you can't ride him on trails in an English saddle, right? It'll wreck his back." Ummmmmm...what? In Europe, English is pretty much all they ride, regardless of what they're doing. So, I took it to a horse forum I just joined and found out that the person who told Christina that little gem (who happens to be the same person who took Dakota out from under me last year and who was apparently talking about me behind my back...she owns the barn I worked at for two years) was full of .

So, this means I have decided to try training Aires English and see how we do on trails with it. Wish me lucks! I'm sure the owner of the stable (Cam) is going to have a fit and laugh his butt off at me for wanting to train Aires English. He wants to train him in a snaffle with rollers (he calls it a "Tom Thumb" bit) and eventually get him into a hackamore, but I'm really not sure I'm comfortable with a hackamore.

GemstonePony

LOL, no reason why you can't ride trails in an English saddle, as long as you have a good seat and a fairly reliable horse... Western saddles may be more difficult(and painful IME) to fall out of, but English should be BETTER for his back as it has less weight.
I REALLY don't like hackamores or curbs, IME snaffles tend to give more control(they disengage the hindquarters better in an emergency) and if you need more control/pressure than the snaffle can give, you need to do more training with your horse on the ground before you get on him... IMHO.

bassbonediva

Cam swears by hackamores. Says all the younger horses on his dude string ride in them. Just his old guys (like his 32yo gelding that was his first horse) prefer the curb bits. I have a snaffle bit already on a bridle that should fit him (monster has a massive head!). And heck, he's my horse, not Cam's. I can ride him however I please. Aires is going to be a tank, on the trail or in the arena. He has no "bobble" to his trot at all and his walk is nice and smooth as well. I have a friend with a QH/arab cross gelding and his head is all over the place when he walks and trots (not the jerking the head from injury or lameness, just like watching someone ride a horrible sitting trot...he also has absolutely NO rhythm to his trot AT ALL! I've ridden that horse and couldn't find a rhythm to post to, so I ended up bouncing around like a rag doll on his back...that, coupled with the fact that my friend's Aussie saddle is WAY too small for me made for a VERY uncomfortable half circle around the cutting pen). Aires' head hardly moves when he walks OR trots. He moves a lot like a gypsy vanner or tinker horse.

Shine

Hillarious! Wonder why most riders who do Endurance riding (ie 50-100 mile rides) ride in english saddles then? lol You'd think after a hundred mile ride you'd notice if the saddle hurts the horse's back.... but then what do I know right?

I ride my mare Shady with a hackmore for trail, as I did with the mare I had before her. As GemstoneP mentioned though, it has less precision then a bit does. Which is why when I'm doing dressage stuff we go back to the bit, and when its 'play time' I use the hackmore.

I tend to train green horses in western or australian saddles and then move to english when I decide they are sensible... but that is excessive caution speaking, because there are plenty of people that start green horses in english.

bassbonediva

I tend to train green horses in western or australian saddles and then move to english when I decide they are sensible... but that is excessive caution speaking, because there are plenty of people that start green horses in english.

I don't particularly mind a Western saddle and my ultimate goal is to have a good quality Aussie saddle for trails, but at the moment, the primary concern for me is whether or not I'll be able to saddle my horse by myself. With a Western saddle, definitely not, unless I went to a fully synthetic saddle. However, I won't be buying my own saddle for a while, so I'll be using one of Cam's and his are all old school, heavy-as-lead Western saddles.

LyndaB

I still have my Australian stock saddle, even though I haven't had a horse for over 20 years. I never felt secure with an English saddle but Westerns just seem to be too bulky for me. I love the Aussie saddle.

bassbonediva

Alright. Little update on Aires...he's doing great, but we did have an incident on Thursday. I was walking down the road like I usually do and completely without provocation he chomped down on my forearm. One moment I was happily leading my horse down the road, the next I had a very angry, 15.2hh, 1000+lbs, 2yo stallion attached to my forearm. He got the smacked out of him for that one and he hasn't tried it since.
We went on the little minI trail course they have set up in the arena yesterday. There's a bridge and everything and he actually stood on the bridge three times! The first and last time he got up with no problems and just stood there for a couple of minutes, then I praised him and led him on.The second time, however, he spooked at something (not the bridge, though) and skittered out and around me. I let him have most of the lead rope so he wouldn't freak more, but he got about halfway out the lead rope and then was fine. I went over to him and reassured him, then led him back to the bridge and he got right back up. He's still having trouble with that right side, though.
In other news, Aires is getting his feet done Wednesday (that'll be an adventure!). Cam is going to be gone all next week (out of state picking up a new boarder's two horses), but he said as soon as he gets back, he's going to start Aires in the round pen! I am soooo excited!!!

bassbonediva

Okay, haven't updated in a while 'cuz I've been SO busy with Sweeney Todd (local community theater is putting it on this month and I'm doing costuming and crew) and Aires. But, here's an update...

My baby gets his feet done tomorrow!! I won't be there, though. I forgot that I had switched my days off so I could have Saturday off to go visit my brother, so I work tomorrow and the farrier comes at noon.
Other than that, we went on the minI trail course today. There were three other horses in the arena (two under saddle and one of the new boarders was leading his gelding around the trail course, too) and Aires did amazing. He only spooked once and it was because one of the riders came trotting up behind us and he didn't hear them (the wind was blowing toward us) and they startled him. But his spook consisted of shying away around to my right for about four steps and then he was fine. We went on the bridge again. This time we approached it from every angle possible. It didn't phase him at all. The new boarder that was leading his gelding through the course kept asking me how old Aires is and how much training he's had. He just couldn't believe that he's a 2-year-old stud with absolute minimal training! The resident trainer (who was schooling one of her own horses in the arena) came over and kept telling us how amazing Aires is doing. We went in the round pen, as well, and I let him get a little used to it in there. He is definitely a "pocket pony" and wants to be right with me, but I kept "chasing" him away with the whip (not hitting him or anything, but I'd point the whip at him and he'd veer off away from me). He didn't bolt out of the gate, either, when I led him out, but rather waited respectfully for me to go first. I also brushed his mane and tail finally. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Now I just need to even his mane up (there are rubbed places that have grown back in that need to be evened out).

LyndaB

I'm sure he's doing so well because you're being so hands on with him and really dedicating yourself to his schooling. You also have the perfect attitude with a "new" horse. He obviously trusts you and boy, if you pass that hurdle, you're doing great!

I used to love watching the farrier. She was a little slip of a thing named Scarlett. She didn't take any from the horses, that's for sure.

Shine

So wonderful to get an update on your boy's progress. And glad to hear that you are enjoying working with him. He sounds like he has a really good mind--open and interested in people.

Plus its always a benefit when the trainer has a good impression of your horse before starting to work with him Is he going to be gelded before he starts training? I'm sure you said, but I can't recall....

bassbonediva

Thanks, ladies!

I feel like we took a BIG step backward today. The farrier came out and Aires went absolutely nuts. It took my friend almost TEN MINUTES just to get a halter on him. Then she led him to where the farrier was parked and he went ballistic. He was rearing and lunging around, dragging my friend with him (she's a little thing, about 5'4" and maybe 150lbs or so). He wouldn't let the farrier or Dave (one of the guys who boards his belgian/QH gelding at the stable) anywhere near him. When I went out after work, I took him out and walked him around and he was an absolute angel. Luckily I know the farrier pretty well (he does the horses at the barn where I used to work) and he said that if I wanted to, he's more than willing to come back out on a day I can be there and bring a sedative with him. I am going to wait until Cam gets back and see what he wants to do, since he's the one who is paying for it this time.

Shine, apparently he's going to be gelded after. In my contract it says that Cam will have him gelded within three months of the day I signed the contract, but he's already talking about starting him (and having him on the trails in 30 days).

Shine

Meh, he's barely ever had his hooves handled from what you have said. Its not a step backward, but a 'wake up call' to remind you that he still needs work and isn't trained, no matter how calm he usually appears to be. Farriers are usually in a rush, and that never helps calm a horse down.

One pony that we got was basically wild, and the first time we did her feet (and this was after a few weeks of working with her legs, 'cause her hooves were overgrown) we had 3 adults basically pinning the pony to the wall of her stall so we could trim her hooves .... and she was a mini-shetland cross. So can you say 'small'? lol

bassbonediva

Good news! Thursday I took him out and did our usual routine of grooming and all that. We went on the minI trail course again and we approached the bridge from every conceivable angle. He acted like he was bored with it all the whole time. He did have a minI spook once, but that was because there were three other people in the arena (two riding and one leading his gelding around) and one of the people riding came trotting up behind us, but Aires didn't hear them and it startled him (wind was blowing toward us). The real good news, though, is that after we did the trail course, we went and worked on picking up his feet. My friend held his head (he ties kinda, but not great yet) and put a treat in her closed fist to distract him. I went around all of them first, picking them up and holding them for a few seconds. He still hates having his back feet touched. After I went around the first time, I grabbed the hoof pick and tried again. He actually let me clean his front hooves!! He had this bored-with-it-all expression on his face the entire time...until I tried to do his back feet. He will actually try to kick me when I do his left. When I do his right, he'll just try to remove it from my hand (but I'll still hold it and follow him). So, letting me clean his front feet is a big step forward again!

LyndaB

Excellent progress!!!

bassbonediva

Today he actually let me slap his hoof and coronet (kind of desensitizing him to people messing with them) on his front feet. Cam tried to pick up Aires' feet and almost got kicked for his trouble. So, Cam decided that when Aires gets gelded (which is going to be as soon as he can make an appointment with the vet!), we're going to try to get his feet done while he's sedated.

I went riding today on one of Cam's horses. His name is Reno, he's a chestnut paint about Aires' size and he's actually Aires' neighbor. There have only been a couple of horses that I've ridden that have had gaits as rough as Reno. His trot is SOOO vertical and bouncy. I would have been able to post to it just fine, but the saddle they have for him is HUGE (probably 18"...there was about 6-7" between my crotch and the pommel) and the stirrups were just about an inch or two too long. The problem is that I couldn't shorten them because the next hole was close to 4" above the one they were on and then they would have been significantly too short! So, I had to bounce along with his trot, which was extremely painful because the saddle had absolutely no padding...at all. And then, as we were coming back, we have to cross the main road to get back from the trail to the stable and my friend (on her little arab mare) crossed first, but I had to wait. When I did go, there was a motorcycle coming, but it was still a quarter mile off, so I knew we had enough time. Well, apparently Mr Motorcyclist decided to be a jerk and actually sped up! He flashed his lights at us and then revved his engine when he was about 100 feet away (I had kicked Reno into a trot, but it wasn't enough). That freaked Reno out and he started galloping toward the stable. Granted, I wouldn't have had ANY problems sitting a canter or gallop in a decently-sized saddle with appropriate length stirrups, but I was in a saddle made for a VERY large man. I ended up almost halfway up poor Reno's neck, but somehow maintained my seat well enough to settle him back down into a walk. I am SOO sore now (mainly from the saddle not fitting me and the spook) and this ride just served to affirm my desire not to ride a western saddle...ever. lol

Shine

Things like that affirm my 'I hate people' mentality--what a jerk. I realize that some people don't actually know better, but really; are you trying to get someone killed?? Glad you both made it though that without injury. Stuff like that can go a lot worse.

Wish I lived nearer... I have what? 5 saddles? And my parents have at least another 4. Pretty sure we could spare one to loan out! LOL--and we have 3 horses that are ride-able. And only one that can be ridden by anyone but me! Methinks we have a bit too much horse tack on hand

Aires will get over his feet-issues eventually. You'll work though it

GemstonePony

This is why I do not like riding near roads- my neighbor, who does ride along roads, says she occasionally has people slow/stop, rev the engine, and honk, just because it's fun to see a horse spook/rear/buck/etc. Fortunately, the mare she has is pretty bombproof, but still!! I think people should go to prison for attempted homicide for that type of behavior.

bassbonediva

Things like that affirm my 'I hate people' mentality--what a jerk. I realize that some people don't actually know better, but really; are you trying to get someone killed?? Glad you both made it though that without injury. Stuff like that can go a lot worse.

Wish I lived nearer... I have what? 5 saddles? And my parents have at least another 4. Pretty sure we could spare one to loan out! LOL--and we have 3 horses that are ride-able. And only one that can be ridden by anyone but me! Methinks we have a bit too much horse tack on hand

Aires will get over his feet-issues eventually. You'll work though it

I'm seriously irritated that it cost me $70 to "rent" a horse from the stable I board at. I personally think he should give a "boarder's discount" or something like that. And Reno wasn't even the horse he was going to put me on. The one he was going to put me on was Budweiser, a big sorrel, but the wrangler wasn't paying attention and unsaddled Bud before either Cam or I could stop him. Part of the problem is that Cassie, my friend's mare, does not like Reno at all, but Reno is so used to be part of the dude string that he wants to be right with whatever horse(s) he's riding with...so when Cassie went across the road first, Reno got a bit upset, and the stupid motorcycle guy was just the icing on the cake.

We're pretty sure that as soon as Aires is gelded, most of his OCD issues (his feet, biting, pooping on the poop pile in the turnout) will go away completely. The feet may need a little more work, but his dislike of having his back feet touched is DEFINITELY a new stud thing.

This is why I do not like riding near roads- my neighbor, who does ride along roads, says she occasionally has people slow/stop, rev the engine, and honk, just because it's fun to see a horse spook/rear/buck/etc. Fortunately, the mare she has is pretty bombproof, but still!! I think people should go to prison for attempted homicide for that type of behavior.

Unfortunately, all the good trails...wait, no...all the trails, period, unless you want to trailer, are across the road from our stable. What's REALLY weird is that according to Cam and his wife, Reno (and all their horses, really) are usually bombproof. They wouldn't be dude string horses if they weren't. They were absolutely stunned that Reno bolted like he did. But, the motorcycle guy was riding a Harley, so the sound was MUCH different than what they are used to (they ride quads all around the stable all the time, so the horses are used to the higher-pitched motorcycle noise).

Can I just say that I am in SERIOUS pain right now?! Shoulder, left elbow (what the heck?!), butt bones, back...there's not much of me that doesn't hurt right now.

LyndaB

Maybe you should bring a small bag of carpet tacks with you whenever you cross that street..... that cyclist would've been a bit sore himself if he skidded out due to running over the tacks and blowing his tires..... not that I would ever use tacks, but you know, a girl hears things.....

I know that whenever my husband is the one driving and we come across horses on the roadside, I force him to slow down. He never slows enough and I have to keep telling him that slowing down beats the alternative of possibly having a 1200 pound animal come through his windshield.

Shine

I actually had one of my horses do that to me... bolted up the ditch towards the truck! It was one of those gravel trucks, I believe. We were probably within 8 feet of it when he spun back the other way (complete 180 direction change) and charged off into a farmers field... Fun day. Have to say that the next time I saw that truck/driver he slowed to a crawl passing by us. Apparently it left an impression on his mind.

Guess that's the one good thing I can say for the farmers around there... they might be ignorant (some of them anyway), but at least they aren't malicious! Not like the ones Gem mentioned... o.0

Fishies-for-me

back when I was a teen ( many years ago) I had a pony , there were no trails and every one where I lived just rode on the shoulder of the road. My mare did not mind cars , but hated trucks buses and motor cycles. I used to get a good grip on her when a vehicle was coming and hold her tight... she would shy and try to turn away from the road and swing her butt into the road... but she was a good girl and help straight pretty easy as long as I had a good grip on her mouth.. I HATED those people that would get right beside us and toot the horn... what jerks!!
About 12 years ago I was working with a Belgium mare in the woods hauling logs... she was a pretty quiet horse but I had not been on a horse in about 20 years or more... as I was riding her up to the woods my son decided it would be fun ( he did not know the horse would spook) to jump out from behind a gravel pile and yell boo...lol He was 12... so when he popped out the mare went about 6 steps to the side and almost unseated me... luckily I was riding with her in harness and had a big set of aluminum hames on the collar and just grabbed them like handlebars...lol The mare stopped and took a good look to see what had spooked her and then was fine... except every day for weeks after that I rode her by that gravel pile she would stiffen up and twitch her ears as we rode by... then relax.

bassbonediva

Okay, so haven't had internet in a few days (moved to a new place). Anyway, leaps and bounds taken recently! Aires will now pick up all four feet and let me clean them without much fuss at all. Today he got a little y with me when I tried his right hind, but it was only at first. He pulled it out of my hand, so I just picked it up again and cleaned it like nothing had happened. He stands tied now (I can walk away and he just stands there). We're also getting very good at lunging. He knows what I want when I click my tongue (trot) and when I kiss (canter...although this one is a bit of a pain, I think mainly because he needs his feet trimmed, so I don't make him do it much for now). We have no more biting at all.

bassbonediva

Good boy! He comes in on his own once you stop him (say "Ho" and he stops, then turns in and walks to you):

Bending my fat butt over to get the lunge line (which I don't like...I'm used to a webbing lunge line):

Walking back to be brushed down:

I did this "experiment" to see how tall Aires is going to mature to...holy cow! Following the instructions found here: under the "Method #1 Elbow/Fetlock" instructions. According to that, Aires should mature somewhere in the neighborhood of 16.3-17hh! I need to try the second method to see what it comes out to, but I keep forgetting to get my sewing tape measure (cloth tape measure) out of my truck when I'm at the stable.

Oh, and happy news! The vet is supposed to be out either today or tomorrow (they just said the first part of the week, couldn't give us a specific day/time because they're just squeezing us in) and Aires is going to be gelded! YAY!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Flowingfins
  • Horse
Replies
Views
Flowingfins
  • Fishtail
  • Horse
Replies
Views
cb23
  • Dandee