20 Gallon Tank need a new heater

plecoman123

when I bought the tank it had a 25w, it worked for 10-14 months than the light stopped turning on to indicate its heating, so I bought a heater from walmart (not the best idea) the light turns on for 5 seconds than off and my temp is 86, not sastified, the temp isn't dropping one bit I put 4 bags of ice in there and that worked faster than the heater, I was looking at a aquen pro heater, might as well spend a lot on something that will last.
is it a good heater?
and where and how should I place it? there's only one side of the tank that's open and where I have put heaters

Dlondon95

Aqueon pro heaters are about the best you can buy.

I doesn't really matter where you put it. Just as long as there is water flow where it is placed.

ryanr

HI plecoman,

I just want to clarify, a heater heats water. It does not cool the water, you would need a chiller for that. (or use ice as you have, or point a fan at the surface)

Heaters have a thermostat, and only come on when the temperature falls to the preset level. The heater is designed to maintain temperature at a preset level, i.e. do not let temp fall below x degrees.

If the water is higher than the set temperature, the heater will not (should not) come on.

luke355027355027

I love my fluval heaters for my community. Yes aqueons are better in one the newer series have two lights one to tell you when its heating and the other to tell you it is actually on. Personally I would but a fluval just because I like fluval and never have problems but aquaeon are kinda top notch

orandagal

When setting up my aquarium-29 gallon (which I was totally new too) I asked for recommendations and many pointed me to Aqueon Pro 100. I have had it since February and been very pleased with it. It is a little bit more expensive, but I have had no problems with it keeping the temperature stable during the night when it gets cooler in the house.

Lexi03

Huh? I have never heard any one say to replace a heater twice a year. I have 2 aqueon pros, one I have been useing for over a year now... they are great heaters btw.

pirahnah3

I have some aqueon pro heaters and I will say I am VERY satisfied with them. The only thing I don't like and its a problem with most heaters is that I have to reach into the tank to adjust the temp.

I have swapped over to using these titanium heaters now. Having great luck with them so far, and the controls are outside the tank. It is a bright silver look thou so hiding it does take a bit more work than the nice black aqueon pros but to me its worth it.

Edit: I have never replaced a heater that soon, heck I have one that is still working that is over 5 years old. Its on its way out finally but there is no way I would buy a produce that failed in less than a year. Light bulbs aside.

Gozeedos

I have the same heaters I started with about 4 years old....they do go rouge on me once in a while....I have to unplug them and let them sit for a while......I did read the box the other day and it said " After water changes wait one hour before plugging heaters back in" I had never read that part of the instructions I guess ......

orandagal

I've removed what I wrote about replacing the heater within a certain time period. Went back and read the paperwork, it's late, I'm old and tired so disregard what I removed about the timeframe to replace heater. The Aqueon Pro is really good and I hope mine lasts a long time. My error, sorry

plecoman123

ok so when I buy a new heater how would I get it from what its at now(84-86) to 78?

Cichlidnut

What is the ambient temperature of the room with your fish tank?

ryanr

plecoman123 said:
ok so when I buy a new heater how would I get it from what its at now(84-86) to 78?
First question - what sort of thermometer are you using to measure temp? The stick-on ones are notoriously inaccurate.

What do you have the heater set at? If it is adjustable, lower the setting. Keep in mind that even though it may say 78 on the heater, it may be slightly mis-calibrated.

One of the easiest ways to cool water, is as per Cichlidnuts suggestion of ambient room temperature.

If your ambient temperature is lower than the 78 you are trying to achieve, then you need to look at what is heating the water. It could be:
- heater is set too high
- lights
- filters

Just some preliminary thoughts.

plecoman123

first off I live in arizona(hot,hot) and my house is usually 88, occasionally its 83 when the ac is on but we can't afford to have the ac on all summer so that's one reason my tank is at that temp, second the heater I have has no numbers on it saying what the temp is there is line indicator indicating its 78, which says in the instructions of the heater. then there's just - and + on either side of it,
second and I use one of the stick on ones, I want to get a digital but its sort of expensive for a thermometer I have a standard light no fancy led's

Cichlidnut

Ok, well a heater has no ability whatsoever to lower the temp of your tank. They can only heat it. It is possible to have a fan blow across the surface of the tank water to help cool it, I've seen several threads about it. I bet your previous heater was just fine. The light only comes on if it is heating. If the heater never had to heat the tank it would not come on.

You can get a fish tank thermometer at walmart for like $2 that would be better than the the exterior stick on ones.

plecoman123

well I am going with the titanium heater pirahna suggested, they are a lot cheaper and it looks pretty neat.
cant wait!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom