Need a new deco for my tank (Recommend)

1. VenomGrass Member Member

Hey guys.
    In a bored mood. Was browsing eBay UK for some new deco. Anyone else bored and wanna find me something they think is cool (link please)? I know it's pref as to what you choose but it's nice to see what other people like too.

Thanks

2. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

3. VenomGrass Member Member

What is that coming out of it? That looks really cool :)
    Haha 5th edit made me laugh out loud - not sure why!
    Cheers

4. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

i wonder why... lol, i think its bubbles?, maybe being frozen in a photo makes them look odd.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Here's my 20H. The two smaller pieces were one, but I broke it apart.

Attached Files:

6. VenomGrass Member Member

That looks gorgeous! Are they real plants? Where did you get the rocks from? :) 10/10

7. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

lol it looks like they were supposed to be in two pieces.

8. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

The volcano thing looks like it is thin plastic streamers being pushed upwards by a small pump. I'm not into the fake stuff but you could gut the volcano so you were left with just the outer shell. Put a PVC tube down the middle of the volcano so that it ran all the way from the top to the very bottomPut some small spacers under the bottom of the volcano. Put the volcano with the spacers on a large deep dish plate. The plate diameter would need to be larger than the diameter of the volcano. Install a small airstone in the bottom of the volcano. The airline could enter through the side at the bottom where the spacers create a gap between the plate 7 the volcano.. Fill the plate with bright orange or red sand. Turn it on. You should get sand bubbling up out of the volcano & flowing down the sides. You would need to empty your tank to install it & it would require some tweaking to get the volume of sand vs airflow right, but it sure would look good. Keep you amused for awhile to.

Something like what's in the incredibly bad sketch I just did on Paint. Would perform the same way as the waterfall in the second pic. The waterfall is sand with a collection resivour powered by an airstone. It is installed behind a 3d background. Found the pic while looking for aquascaping ideas.

Attached Files:

9. VenomGrass Member Member

Graeme Thats an amazing idea! You sound great at designing things! I think you should make it ans amaze us all! :) Dan

10. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Nah. Fake stuff doesn't appeal to me. We all have our own tastes & mine is very heavily towards using only natural materials. You will only find wood, rock & plants in any of my tanks & I will only use a natural looking substrate. Could be something for you to do though. You wouldn't really even need to buy the volcano. A few rocks siliconed together in the right way would give you the volcano look.

11. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

hummm diddy ummmm...now i really want one...and then that waterfall, is there anywhere that sells it?
    time to go to home depot for PVC pipes! i have lava rocks :O maybe i could break um and use those....should i get an air stone that makes large-med-or small bubbles?

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you;D The plants are not real. There is a blue crayfish in there too - very incompatible with live plants. The rocks are from big al's. Tahitian moon sand and a black background attached with seaview. I find that using something like that creates a much deeper black, better showcasing the plants and fish. It's 1000% better than tape.

Steed - I was a little misleading. I dropped it by accident and it broke in half...perfectly :)

13. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I havn't actually built one myself but here's the link for this tank & how it was done: http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/10/creating-waterfall-illusion-underwater.html

You can also do a google search for a diy aquarium waterfall & there should be a few other people that have done this sort of thing & posted thier plans & results. I would imagine a whole bunch of small bubbles would move more sand than large bubbles but it is really something you would need to experiment with to find what works best. The size of the airstone & pump would depend on the overall hieght of the volcano/waterfall I would imagine.

14. VenomGrass Member Member

Maybe it was meant to be! :) - You never know! Either way looks great. I wish that I had lots of ideas and could actually put them to practice on my tank. Is there any good plants or moss type that will grow well on a piece of Ocean Rock or Brick material?

Thanks

15. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

All the usual attached plants should go well. Java Moss & Fern, Xmas Moss, Anubius species & some of the Cryptocoryne species should all work ok for you. I just got my Anubius Nana 'Petite' today & attached it to some wood in my tank. Cool little plant. Only gets to about 2inches tall with glossy green, fingernail size leaves. Grows very slowly is the only drawback. I think it would give excellent contrast to the other plants in your tank. Checked out your gallery pics. Nice tank.

16. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

thanks for the link,nutter! turns out i had some pvc hiding in my basement.

17. VenomGrass Member Member

Yeah awesome link graeme! I didn't actually see it first time I read your post (I think I need glasses, either that or an energy drink). I hope someone actually gets the waterfall working it looks beautiful. I found a YouTube vid which has one on camera in operation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bdjFy-U0M4

Goodluck to anyone who attempts to make one! I might - I just don't see how you can guarantee to loose no sand to the surrounding gravel. Can you purchase them ready made?

18. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

ive saw them on ebay like $15-$40 deppending on size(and seller)

EDIT: i found the patent for the waterfall very useful :D

19. VenomGrass Member Member

Please link me on eBay. :)

20. steed1172 Well Known Member Member