Need A New Clean Up Crew

lokidan

Reaction score
Had a bad ammonia spike and dealt with Ick and something with my blood parrot cichlids so I had to use API General cure so now my tank is recycling

This is what I have right now just wonder what people think would thrive and clean!

5 assorted angle fish
2 blood parrot cichlids
2 Bala sharks
1 dwarf gourami

Had (died from ammonia levels)

1 common pleco
3 Siamese algae eaters

Also running dual top fin 75 filters (350gph per)
With a full bubble wall
55gal tank

Any ideas would be great thanks!

Guppykid101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lokidan said:
Had a bad ammonia spike and dealt with Ick and something with my blood parrot cichlids so I had to use API General cure so now my tank is recycling

This is what I have right now just wonder what people think would thrive and clean!

5 assorted angle fish
2 blood parrot cichlids
2 Bala sharks
1 dwarf gourami

Had (died from ammonia levels)

1 common pleco
3 Siamese algae eaters

Also running dual top fin 75 filters (350gph per)
With a full bubble wall
55gal tank

Any ideas would be great thanks!
You've got a couple stocking problems if you'd like to discuss those as well...

HDavid

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want the best clean up crew get some mystery trumpet snails. They eat everything you don't want in your tank and will explode in population if you r over feeding. Cichlids might make a snack out of them but they will always be in your tank once introduced weather you see them or not. Some advice, the Baka sharks will eventually outgrow the tank as they get 1f long and if you are looking to replace your pleco I would go for a bushie nosed because they stay at about 5" instead of 1foot. You have some high waste fish so just space out the feedings and do some large water changes to keep it in check

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No fish are going to clean your tank. Your common pleco certainly wouldn't have been cleaning. You could add a smaller species of pleco but I'd sort out your current stocking first.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your tank is incredibly overstocked, which is why you were having problems with water quality and illness.

There's no band-aid species you could add to keep it clean, it's up to you to ensure water quality is where it needs to be.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agree with above!

Plecos are not a clean up crew, in fact they produce a lot of waste! Its a common misconception that they eat poop when it is they that produce a lot of poop.

New Threads