Need a little help

1. semperfimom Initiate Member

Hi all I'm new here. Just start my new family of fish. I needed something to take care of now that my boys are gone. ( they are Marines) Any ways I have a question, I started my tank a week ago, I have a 10 gl tank with 4 guppies and 2 corys. I just got a water test kit and here are my levels
    Nitrate-0, Nitrites-0, PH-7.2, Amonia I believe is 3.1. Im on day 7 of cycling the tank the water is cloudy, my guppies look good so do the corys but my corys have been very, very active today. the larger one is going to the surface and I think grabbing air. Does this mean it is stressed? And should I do a water change to lower my amonia. Any help would be appreciated and I love this forum it has alot of useful info.
    Thank you

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Definately do a water change ASAP.  Ammonia at any level can make your fish sick, but above 2 is toxic.  Corys are not good fish to cycle a tank with, so you will really have to watch these levels during cycling.  You don't want to get rid of all the ammonia, because then the bacteria will have nothing to feed on.  If you have a hard time getting the ammonia levels down to 2, try using some amquel plus as your water conditioner when you do a water change.  It will neutralize the ammonia and nitrites, but the bacteria can still feed on it.  It may slow your cycling time though.  Also, is your ammonia test a 1 or 2 part test?  Does the color card run from yellow to orange, or yellow to green?  If you are using a 1 part ammonia test that goes from yellow to orange, you will need to get the 2 part test if you use amquel plus.  The one part test will not give you an accurate reading when using Amquel plus, and you will get a false positive or false high reading.   

P.S. When a fish gasps for air at the top of the water, it usually means they are not getting enough oxygen. The water change should help this situation.

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Although Corys do come to the surface grab a breath and then expel it on the way back down as a normal habit this doesn't sound like how your Corys are behaving. I would definately get the ammonia down. And Gunnie is right on target with her advice.
    Carol

4. semperfimom Initiate Member

Thank you so much for your advice. I did a water change and it lowered my levels. My corys seem to be calmer today. You guys are awsome. I can relax a little knowing that they will be fine with a lot of TLC. Thanks again
    Julie

5. dahly Member Member

Welcome!  How are you testing your water?  The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test kit is the one I use, as it was recommended here.  Be sure to test your water daily until your levels are right.  When they are high, do a water change, with water that has been conditioned.  It's a great hobby, but start ups can be gruelling.  Keep posting your testing numbers and share your concerns.  Help is just a key stroke away!

6. semperfimom Initiate Member

Hi all I just checked my levels and the amonia is going down.
    Nitrate=0
    Nitrite=0
    PH 7.2
    Amonia .25
    Guess I'm getting there.
    I have another question though. My female Guppy appears to be pregnent! Could I have bought her that way, cause I've only had her for a week? She is quite heavy in her belly area, she is finding place to hide near the filter and heater. she is darker in color in her rear, even darker than last night this norning. Any suggestion would be great.
    TY Julie

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Most female guppys are pregnant when you buy them which sounds like the case here :D
    They can have as many as four batches of fy from one mating. Hope that helps
    Carol

8. semperfimom Initiate Member

Hi all you are all great and thank you. I need a little help :(. I've lost 2 guppys :-\. Both my males have gone to fishy heaven it makes me feel like i'm doining somthing rong. My nitrates are 0 my nitires are 0 my ph is 7.2 my amonia is between .25 and .50 I did  25 % water change tonight. My water is still cloudy thats been a week 1/2  now. What am I doing rong? If I get the bio-spra sorry spelling the good stuff for cycling can I use it? I don't want to loose any more babies. HELP
    TY Julie

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Guppys are very sensitive to ammonia spikes and thats probably what happened to your guppy boys. Sorry. Keep up the water changes.
    Bio-Spira is designed to be put in at the very beginning when your tank is set up. I don't think it would help at this stage.
    Keep testing your water.
    Carol

10. semperfimom Initiate Member

Hi GUYS,
    got a little frustrated with my small tank and losoing fish. I have the bug I guess. I went and bought a 29 gl. Maybe this will be easier to cycle. I'm not for one to loosing things i take care of. This hobbie is to help me get through my 2 son's deployment to Iraq, so I can't losoe any more. any ways I have 2 cory's 3 silver tiped tetras and one female guppy. will add tommorow just 3. Thanks for being ther for me. I appreciate it.
    Julie

11. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Don't add any more fish right now! Wait until the tank is cycled first. If you want to try the bio spira, you can add it to your new tank with new water. Then immediately add the fish.