Need a lil' help guys..

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderbass6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright, I'm sure you guys have heard the scenario many times before, so here goes.

I was taking a walk down a creek that runs through my property. This creek often floods a lot, so there's a lot of drift wood made every time we get a nice rain... Today I saw this huge tree that had been submerged for while until our last rain. The creek flooded and washed the tree up onto the bank etc... I checked it out and concluded that it was a nice chunk of wood, and I wanted it lol. I loved the way the roots looked so I ran back home and grabbed my chainsaw and cut off a couple pieces.

My concern is that, I am not exactly sure what kind of wood it is... I cut a lot of firewood.. and took botany in high school, but I cannot seem to identify this wood by just looking at its roots for the life of me..

I want to know if it's aquarium safe, and what are some really simple ways of curing it? I have well water and cannot just simply fill up a tub of water etc.. My pump is a piece and will burn up if I use too much water... I mostly use rain water for things like this. oh.. For the identification of the roots.. I live in Indiana.

Annnyywayy... Looking forward to some great advice!

Oh.. The wood is in the tank just to see what it will look like.. No water added.
Thanks!

Dave

Attachments

TheSwampFox

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I really like the pieces of driftwood.

Hello,
I've edited your post as the remarks I removed belong in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum. Once the member has 50 posts then you can contact him via Private Message.
Thanks!
Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would put it in a bucket, and use rain water or any type of water u can get, to submerge in. Check your water parameters before you put it in, and in about a week check the water again, then you will know what effect it will have on your aquarium. You will need to do numerous washing preferbly using boiling water. You will never get the tannins out, so be prepared for it to leach in your aquarium. I have it in mine, and my water is the color of tea. But I love it, it gives a more natural look. hope this helps.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 brokenwing

Soaking it for some time will also assist in water-logging the wood (no pun intended ) which will help it stay put. Dry wood will want to float.

BTW - awesome looking arrangement.

OP
F

fenderbass6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks guys! One question though.. Will the tannins still leech into the tank even after a good week in a bath and a boil? This wood has been in water (most likely bleeding tannins) for quite some time.. I wouldn't mind a small amount if tea color.. That'd be cool.. It will probably go away with some carbon and a few water changes anyway.. I do understand that wood never really get rid of all the tannins, but what am I to expect?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore

I can't ID the wood for you but I would say that as long as it isn't rotting & there are no saps or bark, it will probably be safe in your aquarium. Having been submerged for a long time previously will have washed out pretty much anything bad anyway. I wouldn't expect much in the way of tannins from that piece of wood. I have found that as a general rule the lighter the colour of the wood, the less tannins it leaches.

OP
F

fenderbass6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to Fishlore

I can't ID the wood for you but I would say that as long as it isn't rotting & there are no saps or bark, it will probably be safe in your aquarium. Having been submerged for a long time previously will have washed out pretty much anything bad anyway. I wouldn't expect much in the way of tannins from that piece of wood. I have found that as a general rule the lighter the colour of the wood, the less tannins it leaches.
There are a couple soft spots on the big piece... I cut them out with a dremel though. Might be okay? This wood also very light.. Is that normal for dried driftwood?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Often dried wood is lighter than we think it should be. The only way to know for certain is to try it in a tank with fish after a good scrub with boiling water & preferably a good soaking to. It might also pay to google the river/creek you got it from & look for any history of polution over the last few years as well as where the water is actually coming from.

OP
F

fenderbass6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Often dried wood is lighter than we think it should be. The only way to know for certain is to try it in a tank with fish after a good scrub with boiling water & preferably a good soaking to. It might also pay to google the river/creek you got it from & look for any history of polution over the last few years as well as where the water is actually coming from.
Alright man, thanks! Are there any plants that you guys recommend I attach to this hunk of wood? I know about java moss, but the my LFS only has Christmas moss... I don't know if that'll do though.

I want some healthy, luscious grass in this tank as well. I've tried grass before, but I could never get it to spread; it just stayed a patch for months.. I eventually threw it away cause it was thinning out... That was when I was using city water though.. Pretty hard water. Now my water is much softer, and it has a little bit of iron in it, which I know plants love. What are some thick, beautiful grasses to use?

Thanks again guys, a lot of help.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Xmas Moss can be used in the exact same way as Java Moss in much the same conditions. Various Anubius species & Java Fern are good for attaching to decorations.

I need to know how much of what sort of light you have before I can make plant recommendations for the rest of the tank. The previous problem with your 'grass' plants was probably a lack of light intensity. How much of what kind of light do you have over the tank? EG: 2 x 48w T5HO or 1 x 36w T8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 60 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.6%

Top Bottom