Need A Lava Boulder

Eric L
I'm trying to find a red porous lava boulder with a base of about 12"-15" and about 18" tall. All I can find though is either the small landscaping fill or boulders that have to be bought in bulk with 1 ton minimum orders. Does anyone know where I can get a red lava boulder?

I'm trying to add a large feature to my 90 gallon tank and I've read a lot about the beneficial effects of lava rock. That, and I think it will look pretty cool.

Thanks.

75g Discus Tank
I'm trying to find a red porous lava boulder with a base of about 12"-15" and about 18" tall. All I can find though is either the small landscaping fill or boulders that have to be bought in bulk with 1 ton minimum orders. Does anyone know where I can get a red lava boulder?

I'm trying to add a large feature to my 90 gallon tank and I've read a lot about the beneficial effects of lava rock. That, and I think it will look pretty cool.

Thanks.
Most design oriented fish stores have them. If you live in Houston, they have them at ADG.

Eric L
I live in Michigan but I'll search them and see if they'll do a special order. Thanks

CraniumRex
You could also try landscaping and stone places. I saw both black and red lava boulders there. The only bad part is cleaning it. I got my lace rock at a stone place and it was pretty dirty. If you don’t mind cleaning it, I find the prices way less expensive.

Sorry read your post again. Shame - my store would sell a single boulder.

Have you tried Home Depot?

Eric L
I've tried Home Depot, Menards, and Lowes, as well as every landscape supplier in the region. All they have is fill. There is one place that might have some but their answering machine says they're closed for the season with no hint of when they'll open. I'm not that patient. I don't mind cleaning something. I've got a pressure washer and I'll bake or boil it afterward. I've emailed ADG as recommended above.

CraniumRex
That sucks. Where in Michigan? I’m 2 hrs from Detroit. Not sure if that would be cheaper or not to come to Canada. We sell single boulders.

Eric L
Redford

Eric L
about 1/2 mile west of Detroit

CraniumRex
Well fuel is expensive but these guys are pretty close to the highway. Open year round.

Eric L
worth calling them at least. Thanks!

CraniumRex
Happy to help - hope it works out!

junebug
He will do a custom order if you ask really nicely, and you can't beat the prices.

Eric L
That's the place that is closed "for the season".

Piaelliott
That's the place that is closed "for the season".
Oh, makes sense. Until recently everything was covered in snow
But they didn't say when they open? Weird but in a month it'll be spring, technically.
I ended up getting lava rock from Moby Dick in Waterford. My largest piece is about 10 inches but maybe they can get you something larger.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KingOscar
Replies
Views
rainbowsprinkles
Replies
Views
irishboy02
  • Poll
Replies