Need a good set of plants to clear up water

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by cheesepuff, Jul 13, 2015.

1. cheesepuff

cheesepuff Well Known Member Member

So from what I understand, plants will help with keeping the water clear, and I have none at the moment. So I need to get some. Which ones should I get?

I have

1) Mollies
    2) plattys
    3) fancy guppy
    4) Pleco's
    4) a random gold fish
    5) Ghost Shrimp

sadly, I don't have much money to spend at the moment (my car broke down and need repairs :mad:)

I really need at least a temporary solution. It doesn't need to look pretty, it just needs to help keep the water clean and clear.

any ideas?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Plants will not just make your water "clear" You also have to do maintenance on the tank. Do you know why your tank is cloudy? What tank size are these fish in?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I know its not an instant fix. But I do know that there are microorganisms in the water than can cause cloudiness and plants will feed off of their food source thus thinning out their numbers and can thus make the water a little nicer.

currently they are in a 30 gallon tank (once the pleco's are too big I will be donating them) with 330+ GPH filtration unit. I do use my gravel siphon to clear out fish waste.

as for the exact reason why its cloudy, I'm not entirely sure. I know it could be a number of things. I'm open to suggestions.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I think the reason why your tank is cloudy is because the tank is overstocked. A goldfish cannot mix with tropical fish because they have different temp requirements. Also goldfish are pretty dirty so they need a large aquarium with good filtration. What kind of pleco do you have? If it's a common it will need a very large aquarium or pond. They get over a foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

The gold fish is there for no particular reason. I can move him to my aux tank for now.

The plecos are common ones. I am aware they will grow large. as of right now, they are very small. I will be donating them to anyone who will give them a good home once they become too large.

I forgot to mentions my snails. There are a lot of them. (i kinda went crazy when they were only $1 a pop)

6. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Plecos and snails are big waste producers (depending on the type of snails)
    what couloir is the cloudiness in your tank? There can be several different reasons for cloudy water, you would be better finding the cause and then eliminating it.

Live plants will be beneficial though, they feed off of fish waste. Some low light stem plants would be fine, you might be better off buying them on here, they would probably be cheaper than buying in store.

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I would start looking for a home for the plecos now. They and the goldfish are a big bioload and maybe the bio-filter cannot keep us, thus causing the cloudiness. Plus, the plecos will easily outgrow the tank in a matter of six months or so.

8. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

hard to imagine just 1 gold fish and small shy fish causing so much trouble. But I do concur that they are a bit dirty at times.

I got a place that said they will take donations. I'll make sure they will take them next time I go over there.

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Lol those "small shy fish" wont stay small for long, it'll grow up to about 20 inches or so eventually, if given the space to.

10. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

it is they way of the fish i suppose =P

They love to hide under my drift wood, so I never get a great look at them. I'm sure I'll be seeing a lot more of them once they outgrow the drift wood.

11. DanB80TTS

If you'd like to keep a pleco, there are a couple of small varieties, most common being the bristle nose pleco, they max out at 5-6 inches. You would only want one in a 30g though.

12. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

thanks for the suggestion!

would be nice if I could trade for one. =/

13. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This Information will aid others with their responses. To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks!

Ken :)

14. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Cloudy water, if whitish in color is often the sign of a bacterial bloom. Has it always been cloudy? Did you recently clean a filter or decorations? Did you add anything new to the tank?

How much water and how often do you change your tank water? When you clean your filter materials do you clean them in old tank water or dechlorinated fresh?

Plants will help keep your ammonia/nitrates down by consuming them but by themselves will not give you clear water I'm sorry to say so I agree finding the cause will probably help you out more. Also, it takes a lot of aquatic plants, only one or two is a good place to start though :)

15. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I would say the color is brownish. The entire tank was redone a week or so ago, so its the clearest its ever been. but still nowhere near as clear as a well done tank.

I have no decorations other than drift wood. Could that be causing it?

16. DanB80TTS

Thats the cause right there, tannins in the water from the driftwood.
    What type of driftwood is it? And did you soak or boil it before putting it in the tank?

When you add driftwood, if you don't want brown water you need to leave it in a bucket to soak for a week or so, refreshing it's water every day or two, alternatively if it's small enough, you can boil it for an our or so on the stove, again refreshing the water as it becomes tea coloured.

17. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

I boiled it for quite some time and then it water logged. Before that, I have a rock hold it down for over a week and replaced the water at least once a day.

18. DanB80TTS

Do you know what kind of driftwood it is? Some release a lot more tannins than others.

19. OP
    OP
    cheesepuff

not sure. I'm boiling it right now though.

20. DanB80TTS

Could you post a picture of it?
    Some driftwood can leak tannins for weeks/months/years. I personally have Malaysian driftwood in my tanks, boiled it for an hour and I don't see any tannins in my tanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice