Need a good clean up crew for my 29 gallon!!

Fisherman84

Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon tank and still no idea what to have to clean up the bottom!! I have driftwood, a cave and plants for fish to hide behind, need suggestions I'm open to anything!

Plecomaker

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm. Shrimp are a maybe, as they don't mind gravel, but might get eaten by the ram or sword. Cories can do a better job if the gravel is not too rough though. I use loaches too, but they really do need sand.
of course that's all about bottom feeders. If you are talking abot algae, that another fish entirely. Smal plecos are pretty goood with that group. Rubber nose plecos and pitbull plecs would do a good job. Otos are good at it, if you have softer water. They are more fragile then the others, however.
hope that helps.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A group of 6 cories cats and a bristle nose pleco and you could still do a few shrimp. Alison

OP
F

Fisherman84

Reaction score
I actually already have 2 ghost shrimp that I moved over from my 10g, are you sure about all of that cause it sounds like a bit much

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cory cats should be in a group of six if your tank is big enough. A bristle nose plecco stays small, my lemon pleco L144 will top out at 4 inches and my albino BN plecco is also 4 inches. they live in different tanks. IMO a 29 gal tank would be fine for the cories, and a small pleco that won't outgrow your tank, and shrimp have a very small bioload and the ghost shrimp won't reproduce
in fresh water. Alison

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just use a gravel vac to clean up the bottom.

Marior2190

Reaction score
Get a aqueon or a python gravel vacuum/water changer. Cleans very well and makes water changes easy.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Jupiter Jack

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I wouldnt get corys, or any loaches with gravel. They dig thru the substrate to eat and the gravel would really wear down their barbels. That can lead to infections, death, or fish that can find their food.

If your talking about algae, a pleco or snail would be okay(small Pleco)

If your talking about uneaten food, I would try to cut down on the amount you feed your fish.

Try to figure out why you have either uneaten food or algae and work on that. Also, any fish that would be considered "clean up crew" really shouldnt survive solely on scraps the other fish have missed. They would all need supplemental feeding. I would look into ghost shrimp, they are cheap and do a good job of cleaning up.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I keep cories and plecos because I like them. you can keep cory cats on smooth gravel just not sharp gravel. Mine get shrimp pellets, alges wafers for the pleco as well as the shrimp pellets, and each plecco gets a chunk of fresh veg every day. Sand is nice but I don't like dealing with it and have always used gravel but that is just my personal preference. the cories do fine on it. Alison

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
While fish or inverts are a great HELP in cleaning the tank, they are not the main source of cleaning. We have to be the best cleaner of the tank. As others suggested a good gravel vacuum is essential to keeping the tank clean and providing for a good environment. So you can't rely on any "cleanup crew" to do much more then just help a little bit.

With that being said, I would suggest some ghost shrimp (you currently have 2, but 5 more would help a bit), a bristlenose pleco (they stay smaller and are great for certain types of algae), and maybe some snails such as Malaysian Trumpet Snails. The MTS are great for planted tanks, as they dig around in the substrate to help break things down so the plants can use for fertilizer, they also aerate the substrate. They are small and can climb onto almost any surface or décor to help clean things up like algae, detritus, etc.

Remember you don't want to put a ton of fish in, as all animals contribute waste to the environment, so adding more waste to something you are wanting help cleaning is not the solution. The few things I suggested will not add too much waste, while still being helpful to break things down for your filter to process.

Plecomaker

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wish you lived near me, you could come over and have a bristle nose, mine are breeding reasonably frequently. There are smaller types. Pitbull plecos are smaller and gentler from what I hear.
MOst peeps feed their plec cucumber, but if you give it a piece of spinach it will love you forever . Mine also eat green peas and occasionally lettuce or corn kernels. Lettuce is their least favorite and corn, justan occasional treat.

OP
F

Fisherman84

Reaction score
So you just drop a cut up piece of vegetable in and it will eat it?

Plecomaker

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pretty much, sometimes I set something heavy on it, if it tries to float. With cucumber you might want to peel it first.

OP
F

Fisherman84

Reaction score
Sounds good, do you recommend any other fish to help clean the bottom or just a pleco?

New Threads