Need a friend for my lone dalmation Molly

tanns

Hi Fishlore,

I have a 10gal lightly planted tank that used to house two dalmation mollies, Harry and Llyod. Recently, Harry passed away and it was due to some rookie mistakes I made.. Still beating myself up over it.

I'd like to get a friend for my other Molly. Honestly, Llyod seems pretty happy on his own but I know that Mollies are community fish and I'd like to get him a friend, but I'm not ready to get another Molly to replace the late Harry..

Is there any non Molly tank mates that would be good company for my single Molly in the 10gal? Thanks

CasperW

Really any peaceful fish that lives in a ten gallon. I would stay away from mollies personally as they breed ferociously and no pet shops will accept them so you can become overrun

Upvote 0

Demeter

Mollies are one of the bigger livebearers and ideally should be kept as a group in tanks larger than 10gal (20gal+). They can become bullies to their own kind in small tanks with only a few individuals.

I personally wouldn’t add more fish until you upgrade. 10gals are basically nano tanks suited for nano sized fish IMO.

Upvote 0

Ouse

Mollies can actually be kept alone but the rate of success this way is lower than if they were kept in a group.

Other fish that’s work in a community with Lloyd are rasboras, which I find to be great community fish, ember tetras or cherry barbs. You’d have to choose which one however because of the tank size limit.

Some bottom-dwellers such as cories and amanos are good for communities and will catch leftover food.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Mollies can actually be kept alone but the rate of success this way is lower than if they were kept in a group.

Other fish that’s work in a community with Lloyd are rasboras, which I find to be great community fish, ember tetras or cherry barbs. You’d have to choose which one however because of the tank size limit.

Some bottom-dwellers such as cories and amanos are good for communities and will catch leftover food.
Ember tetras would work but a 10 gal would be to small for corys or or a good group of cherry barbs.

tanns is there any way you could get a bigger tank?

Upvote 0

Ouse

I agree with AggressiveAquatics. For a community a bigger tank might be needed. Ember tetras are quite small and versatile but not much beyond that is. If upgrading tank size isn’t within your power then there are other stocking options than a community.

Upvote 0

tanns

Thanks for everyone's responses!

I could upgrade to a larger aquarium but I'm still an amateur and I don't want to risk shocking Lloyd with the new system.. I'd like to flesh it out with this 10gal for a while if I can.

I understand that I should stick to small tankmates, like tetra. How about other little live bearers, like guppies?

Upvote 0

Ouse

I don’t think a few guppies would hurt. Maybe add three of them if you wish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Mustangjenni
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Kathylee
Replies
Views
LawSkool
  • Question