Need A Fish That Will Clean Bottom

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all
So my fish are very messy eaters ( oscars and other cichlids )
And I have a nearly one foot pleco named rock who likes to clean up but I need another cleaner
I tried catfish and while they were wonderful at it I didn't feed the cichlids for a day to clear up the water and an Oscar thought he would starve and ate them ( they are quite glutinous )
Anyway I need ideas for a good bottom feeder that can take a beating and fend back
Thanks guys

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What fish do you have in the tank? What size tank do you have? What are you feeding them?

I would try feeding less and cleaning the tank more rather than adding fish to clean up after your other fish. You'll have to feed these new fish their own diet, and they'll just contribute to the waste of the tank.

Taritus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Some small cichlids and a larger Oscar named meatloaf in a 120g
I feed a good called jumbo min

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No fish can clean up the tank for you. Plecos produce loads of waste and certainly won't make your tank cleaner. All "clean up fish" need to be fed their own food -not just leftovers- and will poop themselves. If you feel you tank is dirty then do a water change and clean it

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you list the specific cichlids in your tank? You can have bottom feeders if you like them, but don't expect them to clean the tank. You'll still need to do daily maintenance.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom