Need a few ideas.

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Furallicah, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Ok, so my 25gal tank has two filters. One is an Imigine 35 Filter. And the other is a whisper 10-30i filter. The total out put of both filters is 310gph. My problem, is that the whisper 10-30i is pushing a lot of water downward and blowing the sand back from the front of the tank on the side the filter is on. I have thought about getting another stone to put there but havent made up my mind yet. I ask you all for a few other ideas to help adjust the currents of the filter. Any suggestions oh mighty members of fishlore? lol ;D

2. blueiristyson

blueiristysonValued MemberMember

There should be a control knob at the top of the filter's intake pipe. Mine has one and I adjust it.This Knob controls how much water is brought into the filter. If if doesnt have one I would suggest Med-Large stones where the water current from the filter hits the bottom. Hoped this helped

3. otto9211New MemberMember

well you don't really need all of that filtration. so if it is really that hard to get another rock you could just take one of the filters out

4. phishyitis

phishyitisValued MemberMember

you could stick another filter behind the one that is in there(with out the frame)in the whisper

5. tonyValued MemberMember

I agree with otto. You don't really need all that filtration. 250 gph would suit you very nicely. 310 is kind of overkill. Especially if it is making that kind of current.

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

GPH is not the only benefit to using bigger filters. All the extra media they hold provides better filtration.

If you are unable to adjust the flow, you can take a different approach. The more media that is in the filter, the lower the GPH. There is a point where the water will start spilling out over the intake. That is a sure sign youve lowered the flowrate.

7. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Umm it is a goldfish tank and with all the waste they produce one filter at one end of the tank will not cut it. I was just wondering if anyone had any creative ideas for slowing the current some. The fish are fine in it and it does help besides 310 is only 60 off from 250 so it's kind of pointless seeing one filter alone only does 160gph...and the other is 150gph so yeah it is needed IMO. Oh well I'll just go and get another set of rocks and set it up on that side of the tank to slow things down seeing it already has a double setting of filter material and sponge. Thanks Guys.

*EDIT, btw I'm talking about my tetra whisper not my Imigaine. Not to be rude just point out facts that I might of missed in my explanation*

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice