Need a algae eater for a oscar. Question

1. m

mosin360 Well Known Member Member

First off, this isn't for me so my tank info won't help. :D

My girlfriend's parents have had oscars for well over 10 years. Recently they had theirs die and they got a new one. Being that I'm into the hobby now, I asked some basic questions and it appears they got a common pleco which is quite old. Well, they have algae growing on the glass and I have read that the pleco will pretty much stop eating it when it gets 'older'. So, it would appear they need new algae eater.

So the question is, what can they get with an oscar and a old pleco? The tank isn't your standard 55g long. If I recall, it's more tall than long. I'll be going there on Friday and will do a water test and measure the tank.

Thanks.

2. Amanda

Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

Another plecowould pretty much be your only option, but you'd need 90+ gallons for 2 plecos & an Oscar

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

finding out why there is algae would be much better than adding more to the bioload of that tank IMO...

near direct sunlight, over feeding, over stocked, not enough filtration , are a few...unless they are preparred to do every other day water changes, (been there it wasnt fun :( ) it would be hard in a 55g tank to keep the water in check with another common plec...although a smaller one could work as they grow slow, but the oscar could have him for a snack

4. OP
    OP
    m

I called and was told it's a 60g hex tank. Quite frankly, I doubt they do water changes so I'm sure that has something to do with it. It don't have direct sunlight. I'll have to look at the type of filter it has.

5. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think that might be it. ;)

6. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

The flagtailed prochulodus is the best algae eater i know and a lovely looking fish to boot. But they get big(12-14") and can be skittish but not aggressive. My tank has no algae at all due to the flagtail constantly grazing. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Nick

7. OP
    OP
    m

Confirmed, no water changes as they just top it off when it needs it. Now I'm very interested in doing the water test on Friday.

8. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldnt bring any fish to their tank ...keeping fish for 10 years or more and no water changes..wowsers.......I cant even imagine in a 60g tank what the readings will be for the oscar..how big is he do you know? any other fish with him?

9. OP
    OP
    m

The one they just bought I was told is a 'little guy' and there is a pleco in there also that is a decent size.