Need A 2nd Pair Of Eyes (no Pun Intended) Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Flor, May 16, 2019.

1. Flor New Member Member

One of my male Dwarf gouri (trichogaster lalius) is currently undergoing treatment for popeye. Just one eye. I believe this to be the cause of him just bumping into a rock or wood. Dont think it to be caused by a bacteria in this case. Other fish in the community tank don't seem to have any problems. Water paramaters are unchanged. His behaviour i wouldnt class as to be sick. Healthy appetite, moving about like usual etc. One morning I spotted his left* eye, he didnt seem have this the night before.
    I decided to treat him with Esha-2000. Moved him out into a 20liter tank for treatment. 3 days anti bacterial. I dont want infection to set in at this stage hense the treatment.

The eye looks so rough.

Will he recover?
    Will he loose the eye?
    Anything else i need to do?

thx anyways

Tank
    What is the water volume of the tank? 80l
    How long has the tank been running? 14 months
    Does it have a filter? y
    Does it have a heater? y
    What is the water temperature? 25,5 celsius (78f)
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? 80Liters, 2 dwarf gourami's, 10x cardinals, 5 rabit snails

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? 1xweek
    How much of the water do you change? 33%
    What do you use to treat your water? N
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Y

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes, been running over a year.
    What do you use to test the water? strips
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: >0 mg/l
    Nitrate: 45 mg/l
    pH: 6.4

Day0

Day2 treatment

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  2. SarahBear1009 Valued Member Member

Did you by chance get the nitrite and nitrate mixed up? You should have nitrate not nitrite in a cycled tank.
    As far as his illness, I am no expert in fish disease and sickness so I'll let someone else comment on that piece.
    Hope your little guy gets better though!!

3. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

images aren't working for me.

4. Feohw Well Known Member Member

My female betta had popeye worse than that and she recovered well with clean water, myxazin and esha 2000 (medicines used separately). She didn't lose the eye but she is partially blind now. Just to note, you shouldn't have nitrites in a cycled tank, nitrates are the ones you want to have. Also test strips aren't as accurate as liquid tests

5. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

I had a pretty large female Dalmatian Molly way back that had Popeye. I did daily WC’s for a week and it went away on its own. In my case pristine water was the fix.

6. Flor New Member Member

y i did thx for pointing it out. with 40mg/l no2 they would be dead dead :p

direct picture link for the ones who couldnt see them.