Need 1-2 fish recommendation for my 35 gallon tank

thangster0
HI I currently have a 35 gallon with 1 red tail shark, and 5 tiger barbs and live wisteria. Looking for recommendation for 1 or 2 fish that can thrive here and won;t touch my live plants. I was thinking 2 angels but i'm pretty sure they will get picked on by the barbs. thanks in advanced.

Advertisement
r4fish17
Hi. Welcome to fish lore . You are right, the angles may get picked on by the barbs. A 35 gallon tank is a bit small for a red tail shark, especially with tank mates in it, so I think you should consider re-homing him. If you bump up the barb number to 6 or 7, you may lower the chance of aggression. I think a school of serpae tetras would look great with them. Hope I could help

Advertisement
Anders247
Hi. Welcome to fish lore . You are right, the angles may get picked on by the barbs. A 35 gallon tank is a bit small for a red tail shark, especially with tank mates in it, so I think you should consider re-homing him. If you bump up the barb number to 6 or 7, you may lower the chance of aggression. I think a school of serpae tetras would look great with them. Hope I could help
I agree with this. Red tails need at least 55 gallons, and are aggressive. it's kind of hard with tiger barbs, but I agree, serpaes would look good. Welcome to fishlore!

thangster0
HI guys I was following the 1 inch/gallon rule so the way I see it is shark =6 inches full grown and 5 tiger barbs @ 3 inches each = 21 gallon. Technically shouldnt I have lots of spare room for fish? And I was looking for more of a 1 or 2 fish not another school. maybe a peaceful ciclid that won't get bullied by the barbs?

my tank with my rts on the right try to find him lol

Sarcasm Included
The 1 inch rule is totally useless and misleading. In your case, the red-tailed shark has a minimum territory of 30 gallons that he will defend from any other fish. 15 gallons would be fine for 5 tiger barbs but a 20 gallon long would work better. as the foot print allows for more swimming room.

r4fish17
You can't follow the one inch per gallon rule. It works sometimes, but for the most part it does not. For instance, a 10 in goldfish cannot go in a 10 gallon tank (more like a 100 gallon tank). Also, some fish have certain requirements that would make them need a larger tank. An example would be the hillstream loach. Though they do not grow too large, they need well oxygenated and fast flowing water, which is hard to mimic in a smaller aquarium. Some fish like to swim a lot, and others need pristine water conditions. Others are very territorial and need large tanks if you want tank mates with them. Bioload is another factor. In this case, while it may fit the 1in. rule, the rule is not correct. When filling a tank, bioload is not the only thing to think about. Fish swim at different levels and some are territorial. Four platys in a 10 gallon tank would probably not fight (though they would have a heavy bioload), but having two pairs of bolivian ram cichlids in a 10 gallon would be a horrible idea. While the ram and the platys are around the same size, the rams are territorial and need a much larger tank.

lopez18
Here's two recomedations try a GBR if you want a chichlid if not I personally would give a try to upside down catfish if you like it but first I would get rid of that red tail before I do anything

Anders247
I agree with @ and Sarcasm Included, that rule isn't trustworthy. @, I agree about GBRs, but most upside-down catfish get too big.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NavyChief20
Replies
Views
PAND3MIC
Replies
Views
HannahsAquariumWorld
Replies
Views