Near catastrophe-- but everyone is ok!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by rae64, Apr 13, 2010.

1. rae64Well Known MemberMember

Well, we nearly had a fatal catastrophe yesterday evening.... my betta boy, Micah, decided it would be a good idea to try to jump the divider to see his girlfriend. Apparently he has pretty bad aim, and he ended up on the floor. I had just been doing some tank cleaning, etc, and had added another filter.... my patchwork mesh on the back to try to discourage jumping somehow failed, and I found him a few minutes later. I had just finished cleaning up when i noticed he was gone, and there he was flipping around behind the stand! :O I scooped him up and now he is in a a nice clean warm filtered 2.5 gallon to help him heal up. So far so good... injuries were minor, just a small cut on his head, but otherwise no damage. I was lucky!!

Any suggestions on remedies to help him feel better? I have already got VitaChem (is that the stuff??) Stress Coat Plus, and Garlic Guard on my list. All suggestions are appreciated!

2. cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

This is exactly why I want to seperate all my boys! How scary, and I'm glad he's ok! Sounds to me like you are all set for healing him up :)

3. rae64Well Known MemberMember

Wow, just felt over his tank... it is scorching! I am not sure if this can be chalked up to a faulty heater (it is a stealth mini... seems unlikely) or the fact that the lamp has been running for quite some time. I am currently floating some ice in the tank in an attempt to cool the tank wayy down.... when i say hot, i mean like.... close to 90 hot.

Edit: I also attached a slow drip of cold, treated water. I hope that will help cool his tank down1

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  4. cajunfibercoWell Known MemberMember

Oh wow, that's high! I remember floating ice in bags when I lived at my in-laws b/c their place was so hot

5. uprightandlockedWell Known MemberMember

VitaChem is the stuff...I will never stop singing its praises! best of luck to your boy on his recovery. Thankfully, my 20G Long divided three ways has never experienced a jumper. I made my own dividers and they go clear to the top of the tank, so there isn't really any room between them and the hood for anyone to sail over.

6. rae64Well Known MemberMember

I did that with mine too, upright. He went out the back of the tank, aparently I missed a little spot when installing the second filter.... whoops!!!

7. uprightandlockedWell Known MemberMember

Oh I did misread that...oops! Thankfully none of mine have tried that...but now I'm nervous. Tonight when I get home I may be getting crafty with some extra canvas and double sided tape LOL.

8. rae64Well Known MemberMember

Lol sounds like a plan!

EDIT: Well, the water is cooling very quickly, so that is really good. I hope it isn't too fast for the poor guy, but 90 degrees is quite hot...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  9. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Close call there Rae, glad to know he is ok. Best of Luck with getting him better!

10. rae64Well Known MemberMember

Yeah, I know, it makes me afraid of what would have happened if I had not noticed him...

11. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Don't think like that, you knew you were still working on the tank or it would have been totally secured up, lid on etc. You were never going to be gone long, it has happened before to members, and it will happen again. I never leave the room or even turn my back for long if the lid's open, unless the water level is right down such as for a water change when I would imagine they have a good 5 or 6 inches to clear to get out lol!

12. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Bless your heart, Rae! I'm glad everything is okay now.

13. rae64Well Known MemberMember

Thanks everyone! I STILL have not had a chance to get the stuff for my boy, but everything has healed up on its own! Goes to show what pristine water and a little bit of attention can do! I am going to pick up some VitaChem asap though, so I have it on hand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice