Navigating The New Forum Layout

Lucy

Where is everything?
How do I do dis, dat and de udder ting? (jdhef and some others might understand that lol)
For those who don't--This, That and the other thing.

If you figured something out post it here.
We can keep one mega thread for now. After things smooth over and are pretty well set the moderators will update the stickies.

Perhaps if we adopt some format to make it easier
I will start.

How do I view my profile?
Click on your name at the top right.
Box will appear. You'll see the option to:
View your profile as well as some other options.

What is a conversation?
A conversation is a private message.

Where can I find them?
Click on your name again then choose conversations.

Questions can be asked here but please, if you have the answer (and only the answer) put the question in bold with the explanation below.
That should make it easier to follow.

Okay everyone your turn and thank you in advance for helping your fellow members.

As the new lay out takes shape and is tweaked these options and others may change
Hang in there everyone

Lucy

The following has been taken from other threads:

CindiL and Aquaphobia asked
How do I edit my posts in this new software?

bizaliz3 answered:
I don't think you can......yet.....I assume that feature will get added at some point!! I hope! lol

**added to New Forum Is Live for Mike to look at.

HarshAgarwal asked
How do I make my own thread

bizaliz3answered:
Just go to the "forums" tab. Pick the appropriate forum for your question and then there will be a post new thread button towards the upper right (under the search box)

Bizaliz3 asked:
How do I post Pictures?

CindyL answered:
1. click on upload file in the editor window instead of the photo icon. Then choose your file, from there you can put it in either as a thumbnail or a full

Lucy

No one can add anything to this?

Lchi87

Not exactly a question but an observation on my end:

I started to reply to a thread yesterday but got sidetracked and ended up closing the tab on my phone and forgetting about it. Just now, I opened up the site and remembered I was replying to a thread and lo and behold, it saved what I was typing yesterday! Neat feature

Lchi87

Also, is there a new threshold for picture size? I just tried to post a photo but it gave me an error message saying it was too large, which has never happened before

CindiL

Lchi87 said:
Also, is there a new threshold for picture size? I just tried to post a photo but it gave me an error message saying it was too large, which has never happened before
It always did that to me on the PC or web browser on my ipad or iphone unless I was using the app itself. I downloaded an app called Photo Crop, it is very basic but does a good job making the picture smaller even if you only crop a little bit off of it.

Lchi87

CindiL said:
It always did that to me on the PC or web browser on my ipad or iphone unless I was using the app itself. I downloaded an app called Photo Crop, it is very basic but does a good job making the picture smaller even if you only crop a little bit off of it.
Thanks, I actually did crop the picture and it worked!

esdwa

Fishlore admin (or whoever runs this show)

Thank you for new layout that completely removed lots of information from my profile like stats and history and also disconnected the subscribed content from FishLore Android app I enjoyed a lot. There is nothing n the app now, no subscribed content, nothing I was tracking , participating, etc. Sorry for words of criticism, but I thought you guys are those conservative last crusaders who resist to break stuff that works by "improving" things that do not need to be improved. I was obviously mistaken.

Anyhow, I wish you all the best in new year, more wisdom and care about which way this forum evolves. And... Merry Xmas!

Thank you...(pause) Not!

bizaliz3

Wow esdwa you sound pretty upset, sarcastic and bitter....that isn't very nice!
Have you not seen all the posts explaining why this happened and that Mike is still working very hard on getting things up and running smoothly again? Don't be ungrateful...Poor Mike is spending his holidays trying to fix this unexpected problem!

All the things you are looking for still exist and you might just be having trouble locating them on the new format. The app is still down for most of us. So I assume once it is working again, it will restore all that info you are missing. But I don't know for sure.

Either way, this was not done by choice, so don't be so hard on them! Be patient for everything to be resolved and for all the dust to settle before you get worked up about it!

Lchi87

esdwa said:

Thank you for new layout that completely removed lots of information from my profile like stats and history and also disconnected the subscribed content from FishLore Android app I enjoyed a lot. There is nothing n the app now, no subscribed content, nothing I was tracking , participating, etc. Sorry for words of criticism, but I thought you guys are those conservative last crusaders who resist to break stuff that works by "improving" things that do not need to be improved. I was obviously mistaken.

Anyhow, I wish you all the best in new year, more wisdom and care about which way this forum evolves. And... Merry Xmas!

Thank you...(pause) Not!
...seriously? Are you TRYING to be as rude as possible or what?

They're doing their best. They don't owe us anything. This wasn't by choice. Sheesh.

esdwa

What's wrong with expressing how disappointing changes are? I have been tough voice of customer (user) is the most precious commodity web designer can get. Based on your reply, you might have different opinion but that is your right , so is mine.

Besides, I said in my post I am sorry, haven't you noticed that?

Lchi87

and I truly wish there was a "Dislike" button for times like this.

esdwa

same here, smiling face.

Lchi87

esdwa said:
What's wrong with expressing how disappointing changes are? I have been tough voice of customer (user) is the most precious commodity web designer can get. Based on your reply, you might have different opinion but that is your right , so is mine.

It's only been a few days, be patient. As mentioned by EVERYONE, they're working on it.

And your "sorry" comes off more like a snarky "Sorry, not sorry" to me.

bizaliz3

esdwa said:
What's wrong with expressing how disappointing changes are?

What's wrong with expressing your disappointment in the changes? Well....the dust hasn't settled yet!! Like I said. You are judging something that is still actively being worked on!!!!

And I am sorry...but your "I am sorry" statement really didn't come across as genuine since it was prefaced by, and followed by, sarcastic remarks.

CindiL

esdwa it did come across really sarcastic and rude. You might want to read through this before criticizing and do try and remember this site is not a company, my understanding is that this is a personally owned site and maintained by Mike and as such is probably a huge undertaking that he was forced to take when out of other options. I think perhaps try and think of what goes into something like this instead of just criticizing what isn't working. The website itself is working well now, the app is not and is stated so below, so I'd take a look there.

esdwa

OK, so I get you comes from the world "of praise and glorification" where everyone say only "nice" things, while anything else is kept under the blanket. If someone has different opinion that is not aligned with yours, you immediately retaliate with your crusade. Yes, this is how I see it you coming after me, although my initial post was to admin, not even you. Keep going.

esdwa

ok, my last post was reply to Lchi87. since there is o edit buttons, I felt like need to explain.

Lchi87

esdwa said:
OK, so I get you comes from the world "of praise and glorification" where everyone say only "nice" things, while anything else is kept under the blanket. If someone has different opinion that is not aligned with yours, you immediately retaliate with your crusade. Yes, this is how I see it you coming after me, although my initial post was to admin, not even you. Keep going.
Thanks for the call-out. It's cool for everyone to have their own opinion if they are able to state it without sounding completely unappreciative and rude. It's one of the rules in this forum, you see. It's easy for you to sit there and complain while other people are putting in the work. If you aren't happy with the changes, please leave. No one is keeping you here or making you participate in any way.

esdwa

Being happy on this forum for some time, sharing opinions and exchange experience, I could not understand many outside opinions about FishLore as place where expressions other than "happy ever after" or anything other than asking questions of forum "experts" is not tolerated.

Until today. I get you guys, thanks for enlightening me.

There is truly only one person on this forum to whom I always thank for all support and help in teaching me how to keep healthy aquarium. I seriously admire your knowledge and criticism that help me to perfection my hobby. Although it is unlikely to be possible, I would like to return favor. Thank you again.

For those of you who dislike my opinions or try to keep banish me for being honest, use "Ignore" button, if exist.

bizaliz3

esdwa said:
ok, my last post was reply to Lchi87. since there is o edit buttons, I felt like need to explain.
If that was a slam at something else you hate about this new format "the lack of edit button" that is also something Mike is actively working on.

And god forbid Lchi87 focus on saying nice things and leaving the negative things "under the blanket". How horrible of her! (that was sarcastic of course) if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. That is a great thing to live by. Not only that, but giving praise is also a very important thing. POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT!!!! It works!!

You just slammed Lchi87 for being a kind, helpful, caring, supportive person!!! Nice!! She is one of the most polite helpful well spoken people on this forum!! if you see that as a negative thing, then maybe you belong on one of the many other forums that allow that negative rude behavior to go on.

esdwa

Lchi87 said:
Thanks for the call-out. It's cool for everyone to have their own opinion if they are able to state it without sounding completely unappreciative and rude. It's one of the rules in this forum, you see. It's easy for you to sit there and complain while other people are putting in the work. If you aren't happy with the changes, please leave. No one is keeping you here or making you participate in any way.
Since you keep going, I am going to reply your vanity is beyond imagination. I suggest you leave. me alone.

esdwa

bizaliz3, Lchi87 your continuous retaliation toward anything I say and provoking me to reply further is only a proof who is on a hostile side here and who try to keep away from it. In your self-conceit you are completely blind to your own position which is extension of worst behavior I encountered on any forum ever.

bizaliz3

esdwa said:
Until today. I get you guys, thanks for enlightening me.
For those of you who dislike my opinions or try to keep banish me for being honest, use "Ignore" button, if exist.
What? Are we not being "nice"? I thought you didn't like that we are all too nice on here! So isn't that what you want to see? Sorry, couldn't help myself.

There is an ignore button if you want to use it. Click on our avatars and you will find an "ignore" option. Go for it!!!

Yes, I am getting defensive and sarcastic....but I have a lot of appreciation for Mike and everything he has done for this community and everything he is still doing for this community. So I am getting defensive for his sake. I am also getting defensive because one of the kindest people on here Lchi87 is being treated very poorly and made out to be a mean person which she is not! It sounds to me like you don't like being disagreed with ever. Even if it is said politely and kindly.

I love how you are not responding to CindiL post which was very well said and made some great points. Apparently you don't have a snarky "come back" for her? Read her post.

esdwa

bizaliz3 said:
What? Are we not being "nice"?
Like I said before, totally bling in your own conceit.

you can't stop, do you? until you have final word, right?

bizaliz3

You came on here and made a very nasty, smart alec, rude post. You got what you were looking for in the responses.

All we did was ask you to be patient and remember that the site is still actively being worked on and you got angry and defensive and decided HMMMM...instead of bashing the site, I will start bashing the other members instead. Do NOT bash me as a person. You do NOT know me! So stop it!!!!

You are being a very big hypocrite right now. It appears having the "last word" is on your bucket list as well.

You were very mean in your first post. Do you not recognize how mean and ungrateful you sounded?

anyway, lets all just stop this conversation now. We are muddying up a thread that is supposed to help all of us learn to navigate the new format!! If you want to say one more thing to have the last word, then go for it!

esdwa

"Ignore"
and
"Ignore"

bizaliz3

jdhef Lucy Coradee anyone...go ahead and clean up this mess so this thread will still be useful and not full of negative childish-ness.

Sorry for my part in dragging on the negativity. I fed into it and I wish I hadn't. Thanks!!

Lchi87

bizaliz3 said:
jdhef Lucy Coradee anyone...go ahead and clean up this mess so this thread will still be useful and not full of negative childish-ness.

Sorry for my part in dragging on the negativity. I fed into it and I wish I hadn't. Thanks!!
Agreed. I get defensive when people rudely complain about this place and couldn't help myself. Sorry mods.

bizaliz3

Lchi87 said:
Agreed. I get defensive when people rudely complain about this place and couldn't help myself. Sorry mods.
Knowing the stress Mike must be under and the time of year he's having to deal with it all, how do we not get defensive when people so rudely complain!? You know?

Lucy

esdwa said:

Thank you...(pause) Not!
We are sorry for the inconvenience you have incurred by the forum crash, Mike having to purchase new software, the endless hours he has worked and is still working to get things straightened out in between his normal job, family life, sleeping, etc and the holidays in order to provide this free forum for us.
All this must be terribly hard on you.

FYI if you had read Mike's announcement changes weren't made to improve the forum. The forum crashed. Changes were and are being made to get it back up and running.

Now..let's get back on topic.
This thread is for members helping other members get used to the layout nit complain about it.

CindiL

Can anyone tell me why right after I post to a thread, it says waiting for Moderator Approval and that it will be invisible until then? I don't think that started appearing until yesterday.

In fact it looks like all the replies I did last night are not showing up in the threads as they all say the following "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors" . Was I mistakenly flagged lol?

Merged posts

bizaliz3

CindiL said:
In fact it looks like all the replies I did last night are not showing up in the threads as they all say the following "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors" . Was I mistakenly flagged lol?
I had that problem too!!! I posted a picture to one of my threads and it said it needed approval from a moderator. I asked jdhef if he could approve it for me and he couldn't....

bizaliz3

I just quoted you CindiL and it says it's going to stay invisible until it's approved by a moderator... so it's still happening

Testing testing does this one work?

CindiL

I see it

Lucy

This thread has totally lost it's meaning.

It was supposed to be for members helping members finding out how to pm, post s etc.
Any technical issues such the moderation issue should have been posted in New Forum Is Live as stated in post 2.

It's a shame it turned out the way it did.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom